#41 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:04 AM

No clan functionality. May be planned for a future update. Maybe something on B.net to help with organization... Said that H2's was basically a manipulated second Friends list that MS didn't like them doing...

#42 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:28 AM

No clan functionality. May be planned for a future update. Maybe something on B.net to help with organization... Said that H2's was basically a manipulated second Friends list that MS didn't like them doing...

Yeah, and the fact that Bungie went with the Xbox 360's Guide Function instead of building their own Interface inside of the game(like Halo 2's Y button to bring up friends.)

Building a Clan system in to the Guide Button functionality sounds pretty complicated to me.

I can't wait for the new-er Bungie.Net that they talked about.

Now all they have to do is fix those Forums. They need to make a Forum called "Quick Questions" because that is just what the Halo 3 forum is, a multitude of the same damn questions over and over again.

#43 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

...Or just a simple FAQ list. But I'm fairly certain that most of the kids that visit the site won't read them anyway. I hope they bring about something better in terms of clan stuff period. Clan matches were basically just another form of "Team Objective" with the "Clan" tag on it. Lame.

#44 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:11 PM

Bungie Podcast 8/16/07

The ?If, then? show: AI Programmer Damian Isla is welcomed aboard this week?s Bungie Podcast. On this week?s show, Damian explains how the AI in Halo 3 works, how Equipment changed his job and how Halo 3?s AI has changed from Halo 2 to Halo 3.

1:20 ? Meet AI Programmer Damian Isla
6:25 ? How n00b members of the press play Halo 3
7:28 ? Differences between Halo 2 and Halo 3?s AI
10:12 ? The ?Garage? Encounter on Tsavo Highway ? think tons of Brutes
11:33 ? How AI works, boiled down to simple terms so that we can understand
13:52 ? Conveying the intelligence of AI to the player
20:22 ? The evolution of the Brute pack structure
26:03 ? The dynamic AI of Halo 3?s Covenant Scarab
29:50 ? How Niles Sankey sets a scene for a Scarab encounter
36:17 ? Fake commercial break, without a fake commercial
37:23 ? More on Ske7chZork, his self-created Junior High text adventure
38:20 ? Ske7ch is a high roller in NYC
43:00 ? Ske7ch and Epic?s Cliffyb are BFF
45:25 ? What Luke really does after work
47:02 ? Playing with fire in an earlier time in Halo 3
48:55 ? Reader Mail
1:01:17 ? Sign-offs and farewells

#45 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:49 PM

Interesting. Last question's answer: The Carbine is the weapon that has changed the most since the Beta... Toned down considerably, I gather. It was already 7 shots to kill with an 18-rd clip. That was 2.5 kills per clip if you landed every shot, which no one ever did. This has me concerned.

#46 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:48 PM

Good 'cast. Most informative and >gasp< semi professional sounding yet. Not that I mind them having fun at all, but its cool to get to the meat without chewing on the inter-office shenanigan gristle.

- They mention
Spoiler
Which just makes sense if you've gone to all the trouble to make it work.

- Luke mentions Hornets
Spoiler
, hopefully that means that's what we'll be firing out of them.

- Sounds like the most current iteration of the Flamethrower isn't all that hot. Ha! Get it, hot?

I'm glad the Carbine has been toned down a bit. I only wish they had used the Plasma Rifle cobalt blue for the stock instead of the Alien Barbie purple. Oh well.

#47 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:27 AM

On the 7057DP, I didn't like how they said "Is this going to be the flamethrower that's good, or should I drop it and pick up a Plasma Pistol." Also liked the thoughts on the Mauler as well. I wonder what the ROF is like on that thing.

#48 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:20 AM

blah blah blah Nerf Carbine
This has me concerned.

Where were you when the last game came out? This is not a new phenomenon.

The tornado Sketch mentioned was in Brooklyn, not the Bronx. Lawlz. Also, it was driving me wild the way they were pronouncing Carbine, so I had to look up the pronunciation... apparently both ways are correct. But Carb(eye)ne sounds MUCH better than Carb(ee)ne to me. We've been going about the Game of the Year debate all wrong... Bioshock? Mass Effect? Halo 3? Call of Duty 4? No, dudes, it's Madden.

#49 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:58 PM

\We've been going about the Game of the Year debate all wrong... Bioshock? Mass Effect? Halo 3? Call of Duty 4? No, dudes, it's Madden.

All wrong. It'll be Space Giraffe.

#50 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:03 PM

Where were you when the last game came out? This is not a new phenomenon.

The tornado Sketch mentioned was in Brooklyn, not the Bronx. Lawlz. Also, it was driving me wild the way they were pronouncing Carbine, so I had to look up the pronunciation... apparently both ways are correct. But Carb(eye)ne sounds MUCH better than Carb(ee)ne to me. We've been going about the Game of the Year debate all wrong... Bioshock? Mass Effect? Halo 3? Call of Duty 4? No, dudes, it's Madden.

There's a big difference between a rifle being weakened and a sidearm. We're not going there. Not again, not EVER.

I sold ammunition in my early college days... I've always heard it pronounced "Carbean." I guess to me it sounds better that way since I've dealt with industry professionals and and military people that always say "carbean" rather than going by a hooked-on-phonics version of the word.

Edited by JCTucker, 17 August 2007 - 10:04 PM.

#51 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:11 PM

It's a video game.

#52 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:16 PM

Yes, it is. Very astute!

#53 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:21 PM

Let's try that again: It is a fictional universe where the creators can manipulate and tweak whatever they want.

Edited by Syracuse022, 17 August 2007 - 10:22 PM.

#54 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:27 PM

Carb(eye)ne ftw.

#55 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:41 PM

Even military pronunciation? Seriously, please don't bring this back around to "if they can change the pistol from game to game, they can change the pronunciation of words." For real, the boss of the company I worked for heard me say "carbeyen" once, and he corrected me to always pronounce it "carbean." But, hey, if Dual comes in and says they pronounce it your way now, then I'll be all for it. I'm sure Dual will get right on that... The Carbine was very balanced. It took time and accuracy to kill an opponent. I can just imagine how the discussion to bring the Carbine down in power went: Nerd 1: For serious, you guys, we totally gotta gimp the purple gun. Nerd 2: Why? Nerd 1: The ammo clip size and hit power for each shot means that you can kill over 2.5 people without having to reload! Nerd 2: And? Nerd 1: Look at the rockets! You can only kill two people before you have to reload. Therefore, this purple gun is far more powerful than the rockets! Nerd 2: What about the Spartan Laser? You never reload the Spartan Laser. Do we take it down, too? Nerd 1: You don't reload the Laser, n00b! Argument irrelevant! Nerd Boss: Urkel's right. Simmons, get right on weakening the shots of the Carbine. 10 hits to kill, if the 10th shot hits the head hitbox... Raise for Urkel! Nerd 1: You guys are fookin' retarded. I'm going to Bioware... Honestly, do they not realize how much skill it takes to land every Carbine shot?

#56 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:06 AM

Meh. It was a little easy to spam with it, IMO (I got more kills with it than any other weapon in the Beta). It was obviously superior to the Battle Rifle, but I think that was more an issue with the BR than the Carbine. The BR's spread could've been a little tighter than it was. Hopefully they didn't overcompensate (Magnum, Plasma Grenade - Halo 2 says hi) and make it way more powerful than the Carbine, but only time will tell I guess. As for the pronunciation, I don't really care what the proper pronunciation is. Tom(ay)to, tom(aa)to. Pot(ay)to, pot(aa)to. Carb(eye)ne sounds better to me. That's the only way I've ever heard it pronounced before.

#57 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:35 AM

Carb(eye)ne is also correct. dictionary.com says so (though it is the secondary pronunciation), and the very first YouTube video I clicked on featured a U.S. soldier demonstrating, in his words, the "M4 carb(eye)ne." From what I can gather with a minimal amount of research, the word originated from the French word 'carabine,' which is why 'bean' is the primary pronunciation. The long I still sounds cooler and it will continue to be the way that I pronounce the word.

#58 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:54 AM

I thought the Carbine was perfect the way it was in the Beta. People just couldn't handle the fact that it was equal to the BR. Finally, it was possible to get a double kill with one Carbine clip, just like you can with one clip of a Battle Rifle. I just hope Bungie didn't turn it into the BR's little brother like in Halo 2.

#59 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:23 AM

It's just personal preference. I've heard it pronounced both ways. Just like spelling out the word Saber, which can also be Sabre (long argument in JROTC...). Same difference.

If anything else I would think that they changed how fast the weapon is fired and maybe added an extra shot(s) needed in order for a kill. Could be faster that needs 8-9 shots for a kill with more ammo in the clip? Who knows.

#60 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

Bungie Studios Podcast: Forgetacular

This week's (we fudged the "weekly release" a little bit) episode of the Bungie Studios Podcast has Lars Bakken and Tyson Green join Frankie and Luke in the studio for a frank discussion on Forge, Halo 3's multiplayer customization tool.

The blow-by-blow Podcast recap will return next episode, when I am back from London.

LINK

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq