69 replies to this topic

#41 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:36 AM

This excitement is getting me so hawt.

I'll be up for the festivities tonight so I'll be here and GAF will crash so we've set up an IRC chat, so if anyone is interested you can just use the web based java irc site and hop right in using This Link

Or if you are interested in using mIRC or any other IRC software than go to Add Server. Then enter this info:

Server Info: efnet.demon.co.uk
Port: 6667
Chanel: gafhalo3

Hope to see you there.

#42 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:32 AM

I'll be online and at the IRC at about 7:45 tonight, as I'm taking the kid swimming at 7:00.

#43 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

http://www.bungie.ne...y...s&cid=12636

In case you've just crawled out of a hole after sleeping for the last year, E3 begins tonight and Microsoft's Press Conference gets underway at 11:30 p.m. ET / 8:30 p.m. PT. The goodly folks over at Xbox.com will be streaming the conference live for you to view over the Internetz. Additionally, it's probably worth your while to keep checking the Bungie.net Interwebz destination in case stuff and/or things occur that require your presence.

Here we go. Eight hours left.

#44 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:39 PM

Here we go guys. I don't know if I'm ready, but holy hell I can't wait. Biggest (and smallest, lol) E3 ever.

#45 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:44 PM

Me and my hot cocoa will be so ready for this press conference.

#46 zenbaltz

zenbaltz

axisZENalive

• 199 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:08 PM

Does anyone recommend a fabulous stream for the press event tonight? I know 1up is streaming, any other places?

#47 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

Gamespot is, and I believe Xbox.com is also. EDIT: I mean GameSPOT. Not pro.

Edited by Nightshade, 10 July 2007 - 05:39 PM.

#48 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:30 PM

Gamespot

#49 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:29 PM

getting worried. 15 minutes left.

#50 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:16 AM

Posted Image

lolwut

#51 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:34 AM

Where'd you get that?

Also, 1UP has demonstration impressions.

What's the game about: According to Microsoft corporate vice president Peter Moore, Halo is as significant to our culture as Star Wars. So if you don't know what it's about, you need a lot more help than what we're able to provide. (Click here for single-player video.)

What's new for E3: Bungie showed us our first glimpse of the single-player campaign mode, as well as a more detailed look at the "saved films" feature.

The campaign walkthrough starts in the lush jungle of new location Sierra 117, and shows the Master Chief fighting as part of a larger military unit that includes a squad of Marines, along with the Arbiter, the disenfranchised Covenant holy warrior from Halo 2. (Note: Bungie kinda sorta hinted that you can play as the Arbiter in two-player co-op.) After fighting through wave after wave of Brutes, Grunts, and Jackals, we end the demo with a huge set piece where the jungle environment gives way to a large flowing river, and Covenant troops are attacking a Pelican dropship as it tries to deliver fresh troops to the battle. Overwhelmed by enemy fire, and despite the Master Chief's best efforts to pick off the Covenant aggressors with a minigun turret, the ship fails to pull away and falls from the sky in a spectacular display of the game's physics system and new graphical engine.

During a demo of the fully fleshed out saved films feature, we got to see a hint of a new multiplayer map called Sandtrap (Shrine), an expansive, wide-open desert with half-buried ruins and lots of sandy real estate on which to drive around. On this map, we got to see the new Chopper. This one-man vehicle is the Brute's answer to the Covenant Ghost, only it drives on huge, gear-like wheels that tear into the ground, so it drives more like a motorcycle and doesn't have the side-to-side strafing ability of the purple hovercraft. True to the Brute's physical tendencies, the Chopper rapid fires hot concussion rounds and boosts to ram other vehicles with its deadly, reinforced grill.

The saved films function is fully functional now and has a lot more features than what we saw in the Halo 3 beta. Similar to replays in sports games, Halo 3 lets you pause the action, fast-forward, watch from different players' perspectives, watch from a third-person floating-camera view, take a screenshot, or cut out a more manageable, smaller clip from the larger movie file. From there, you can upload videos to your file share for others to view.

We caught a brief glimpse of a menu option called "Forge" but developer Bungie wouldn't comment on what that is. But keep an eye out for EGM's September issue (on-sale August 7th), where they will reveal what Forge is exactly, plus a whole lot more on single-player, multiplayer, and co-op that wasn't revealed at E3.

What we like: The Marines feel like a more cohesive unit now and much less like cannon fodder. They don't just wander into battle and get immediately mowed down, plus they're constantly shouting feedback about the battle as it ensues. "Go back to planet jackass, jackass," was a particular favorite. Similarly, the Covenant are very vocal too, and as the firefights erupt you can hear them shouting abuse, while cursing the "invincible demon" (that would be you).

The lighting is really beautiful. The jungle is convincingly dark and oppressive, and the shadows cast by the foliage are remarkably realistic. It's particularly effective when the jungle cover breaks, and the whole feel of the environment changes as it's saturated in sunlight.

To be filed under "subtle, but effective" is the new effect you see when the Chief's shield is being eroded. A flash of the iconic hexagon pattern gives you just enough visible feedback to see that bad things are happening, and it helps affirm that fact that you are really inside that helmet.

What we dislike: The new Brute units look kinda silly. Shoe says he thinks it makes them look like Galactus.

Edited by Blaze, 11 July 2007 - 02:49 AM.

#52 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:19 AM

Awesome impressions, and I acquired the screen via magic. Much like these:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Lol hax.

#53 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:23 AM

How are you fuckin' doing that, Drew?

#54 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:29 AM

I dunno... But seriously, press kits are you friend.

Edited by Jironimo, 12 July 2007 - 09:13 PM.

#55 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:52 AM

halo 3 single player demo was shown to a lucky few. Here's the TXB Preview...and I love Frankie.....his response to the co-op question is just fucking funny and awesome.

E3 2007: Halo 3 Single-Player Preview (Xbox 360)
By: Will Tuttle - "KingTut"
July 11th, 2007

The first game on my plate? Halo 3, naturally! As I headed into the room where Bungie?s Frank O?Connor and Brian Jarrard were waiting, my fingers were crossed with the hope that I?d be seeing some single-player action. Not only did I get to see the campaign being played, I actually got to check out a sizable chunk of the game?s first level. Before the action began, we found ourselves in the ?Campaign Lobby? where players will be able to set up the game, selecting both the levels and the individual segments that make them up. All of the game?s modes will start in a lobby of sorts, be it Campaign, Theater, or Multiplayer.

After a brief loading screen (during which particles come together to form a halo), we were thrown into the game?s first level, which will be called Sierra 117. Jarrard was playing on the Heroic difficulty, starting at what was being referred to as ?Rally Point Alpha.? We were told that the part we were seeing was actually about a third of the way into the level, as they didn?t want to ruin the opening for us. What we did notice right off the bat was the fact that while we were playing as Master Chief, our old buddy the Arbiter was fighting right alongside us and had a green arrow above his head that allowed us to spot him at any time. We asked Frankie about the, ahem, possibility of playing with a friend who was controlling the Arbiter, and he mentioned that, yes, that sure would be cool. Damn you Frankie!

If you?ve got any qualms about the visual fidelity of the single-player game, let?s just put those to rest right off the bat. The segment we saw took place in a lush forest, where tall trees cut off a good deal of the sunlight and moss grew on just about every available surface. The foliage and textures looked excellent, as did the ?god rays? that beamed down through gaps in the canopy. We came upon a number of napping Grunts, and Jarrard quickly and quietly beat them to death with the butt of his Battle Rifle (this was the starting weapon in this demo, with the pistol acting as the player?s secondary weapon).

Of course, sneaking around isn?t really necessary when you?re 7 foot hulk in some badass armor, so Jarrard decided to have a little fun by capping the nearest grunt from a few meters away. Suddenly, gunfire erupted from all around, as the rest of the Grunt, Jackals, and Brutes leapt into action and began attacking Master Chief and his crew. The fighting was intense, so it was no surprise that we took a few hits. We noticed that when Master Chief is hit by enemy fire, his shield briefly comes into view as a grid pattern before disappearing as it recharges.

Another thing that we noticed (it was pretty much impossible not to) was the amount of battlefield chatter going on around us. The Grunts and Jackals were obviously afraid, screaming in terror as ?the demon? came for them. The Arbiter gave some instructions as we progressed through the level, offering Master Chief advice on how to best decimate the enemy?s ranks (Grenades? Oh, you think so, doctor?). The best chatter, however, came from the UNSC guys, who threw out classics like ?Killing time, you punks!? and ?We?re gonna send you back to Planet Jackass, Jackass!? Sure, the battlefield banter is totally ridiculous, but it?s also awesome.

After battle our way through literally dozens of Grunts and Jackals, we headed through a cave strewn with red flares to a riverbank, where a Pelican dropship fired on Covenant ground troops. The battle intensified, as Master Chief and The Arbiter had to fight off several Brutes. Suddenly, a Phantom appeared from between the trees, firing its plasma bolts at the Pelican, which crashed somewhere over a nearby ridge. Master Chief ran up to a nearby mounted chain gun, grabbing it and yanking it off of its moorings. The action then switched to third-person (just as it did during the multiplayer demo), and Master Chief blasted away until the Phantom finally hightailed it out of the battle zone.

With that, our all-too-brief Halo 3 single-player demo ended, and the lights were brought up. Nearly everyone in attendance agreed that this was the footage that Microsoft should have closed the press conference with, as it surely would have impressed just about everyone in attendance. The game is definitely shaping up nicely, and the single-player campaign looks much better than the multiplayer. We?ll be bringing you more information on Halo 3 later this afternoon, as we?ll be checking out some different elements during our E3 meeting with Microsoft.

They promised more soon......YES!!!
EDIT: bolded interesting/important stuff.

Edited by Jironimo, 12 July 2007 - 09:42 PM.

#56 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:11 AM

I'm actually beginning to think Microsoft/Bungie should've shown Sierra 117 off at E3 instead of the campaign montage. The montage was great, but this live demo would've been incredible.

#57 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

Nice. I love BR and M6G starts for SP.

I also love how you can select portions to play within levels. Instead of trudging through the whole level to get to that awesome epic finale, you can just start on section 5 of the level or whatever. That's really cool.

Arbiter co-op right from the beginning level huh? Wow.

#58 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:30 PM

I'm actually beginning to think Microsoft/Bungie should've shown Sierra 117 off at E3 instead of the campaign montage. The montage was great, but this live demo would've been incredible.

I completely agree with you.

#59 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

I too wish they would've shown a campaign walkthrough. Oh well.

Posted Image

o luk lol

#60 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:11 PM

as you know 1up and team xbox got a preview of the single player last night and today.....well it just got better. in the preview they saw an option in the main menu called forge. Bungie remained tight lipped about it. But we Bungie fans are a clever bunch. Originally people thought armor types. But a very smart Bungie.net user pointed out (and it now rings a huge bell that I should have caught before)
Spoiler
1up said September issue will have all the answers regarding co-op, single player and this forge option. When does it hit you ask??? August 7th.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq