http://www.escapistm...2136-Halo-Reach

And fails at it. Still funny though.
GT: FinalPOSTMORTEM

#2 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

I would actually consider that a pretty positive review from Yahtzee, especially on such a high profile game.

#3 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

I just love how his biggest complaint about the campaign was the open gunner seats. I mean... at the very least, he has to have seen a Vietnam movie, right? Or maybe the news?
GT: FinalPOSTMORTEM

#4 DangerousDave

DangerousDave
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:32 PM

It's hard to tell with Yahtzee, because primarily he's an entertainer, and if he can latch unto one idea that's funny, he'll emphasize it (the gunner seat is just that). My problem is that so many of his comments are wrapped in hyperbole there's no way to really argue, because they're such blanket statements ("STORIES SUCK ENVIRONMENTS ARE REPETITIVE"). Also, he got it wrong that the war didn't start on Reach, which instantly ruins his fan cred :P They're entertainment, not much more. While occasionally he brings certain elements to the table that "legit" critics or even fans don't, he's not on the line of, say, a Jon Stewart. :P

#5 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

Funny thing is that a lot of people use the "Stories suck, environments are repetitive, etc." argument when it's true of most games. Quite frankly, with the exception of massive backtracking the Halo series is known for, those arguments are irrelevant. I could easily apply them to (insert popular game here) and it'd be just as meaningless. There are some games we like and some games we don't. The key is being able to distinguish the good from the garbage and base that by comparison to industry standards, not by our personal bias. Yahtzee assumes everything is crap until it proves itself otherwise, probably because he's a critic. I'm actually not sure if his hyperboles are a result entertainment value or because he's a critic. Regardless, the way this review played out, I actually think he at least somewhat liked Reach, especially when he's reviewed garbage like Clive Barker's Jericho.
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo: Reach

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq