#1 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:29 PM

Posted Image

Howdy folks.

So what is "Remnant?"

It's the story of four Spartan-II super soldiers who were part of the mysterious Beta Team during the fall of Reach (Halo: First Strike, pgs. 23 - 24). The story is divided into six chapters which will be released consecutively every few days.

You can visit the official site for the series by clicking on the image below:

Posted Image

Below are the chapters and their release dates:

01 - Gurahiyi
02 - Insolent
03 - Abandon
04 - Lazarus
05 - Derision
06 - Aureole

You can return here to see them go live or visit the official site when it launches on Sep. 1st.

In the same month that Halo 3 launches, are you mad man!?

Yes, I am, but aside from that, the story is disparate from Halo 3's and involves situations, events and concepts from a different time and place. There is a slight tie-in and a few familiar items from the new game, but other than that, the story if firmly entrenched in events prior to the Chief's return to Earth (both of them).

It will also be completely released several days before Halo 3 is launched. For those not interested in having the game spoiled to them by the inevitable leak of information at some point in September, "Remnant" might be a good way to get jazzed about the Halo Universe in the mean time.

Who is responsible for "Remnant?"

Jeremy Patenaude / Mr Vociferous is the creator and writer of "Remnant," but the subject matter is based solely on the universe developed by Bungie Studios and Joseph Staten. The setting, concept and plot are also directly linked to Eric Nylund's work on Halo: First Strike. Much thanks to those parties, because without them, there wouldn't be Halo.

Also, I had a massive amount of support from my wife and several members of the Ascendant Justice and NeoGAF communities, to help establish a strong story with as few errors as possible. Anything that was grammatically correct was a part that my wife, urk, and/or mattacus had a hand in. Anything that wasn't correct was probably me. Truth be told, apart from my wife and myself, no one has read anything beyond the second chapter...yet.

Where did the idea for "Remnant" come from?

"Remnant" is based on a concept from an article I wrote in 2006 for H3DA called "Great Expectations." In the article, I suggested that Bungie create an online cooperative game which followed the story of four Spartans during the battle of Reach. Eric Nylund's Halo: Fall of Reach and Halo: First Strike had presented perfect opportunities for it within the fiction, so I felt it should be explored. In June/July of 2007, I started hammering away at concepts until I arrived at the one you'll read about in "Remnant."

Do you have any affiliation with Bungie or Microsoft?

No. Although I'm an epic Halo fan, I have no formal affiliation with Microsoft Corporation or Bungie Studios and I am not using the Halo license for profit in any way, shape or form. Just for fun.

M6D?

Yup.

What about concept art?

En route.

Our official site will have some familiar concept art for those who've attempted to visit H3DA recently. That image was drawn and inked by myself, post production was done by our own Blaze97 - his work made it go from reasonably decent to awesome.

There's some other stuff down the road from both myself and other members.

---

If you have any other questions, I'll be more than happy to do my best to answer them. If not, please come back at midnight on September 1st for the first piece of the "Remnant" puzzle.

Thank you!

#2 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:53 AM

I'm really looking forward to it Voc.

#3 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

Holy crap man, excellent stuff. Can't wait to read it. =)

#4 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

Should we expect this to go into a type of series, like Red vs Blue, in the future?

#5 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

Should we expect this to go into a type of series, like Red vs Blue, in the future?

Good Idea.

Voc, you're going to need a Business Manager, PR rep, Lawyer, Nutritionist, etc..

Between all of us I think we can cover everything.

#6 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:28 PM

Given my name/nickname, I already have a leg up on the competition for the Manager position...
Posted Image
The rest of you are just much less qualified.

It doesn't appear that this body of work is set up to become a mini-series. However, if you like it, let Voc know then spread the word - help encourage Voc to work on this sort of project again.

#7 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:29 PM

"Gurahiyi" is now available on the official website:

Posted Image

Feel free to post your comments, the entire story has already been written and I'm simply going through the editing process as we speak. I like to tell stories, so I admit that I'm not the best writer or cinematic director when it comes to these sort of pieces, but I hope you enjoy. Cuse, there's M6D action in the very near future, but not in this one. Dual, there are definitely scenes which would lend themselves to machinima, but as for a series or something continual...well, you're going to have to read to find out.

"Gurahiyi" is the first and therefore is one of the longest of the six pieces as it has a good portion of backstory needed in order to give substance to the later chapters.

I hope you guys like it and thanks for taking the time to check it out!

#8 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

Slick site. I'm saving it and reading it after Halo 2 tonight. Can't wait. =)

#9 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:24 PM

I heard it's really good. ;)

#10 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

I just finished "01." Very good so far. :thumbsup:

#11 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:52 PM

Pipe in at HBO, if you're so inclined, and let's try to get the word out. A few posts with honest impressions and opinions will definitely generate interest, I'd think.

EDIT: And wow, a spammer has decided to contribute his 'thoughts.' I saw him making an ass of himself in threads below - I don't know why I thought he'd leave mine alone...

For those of you who are curious about the title of the first chapter, It's a reference to a Cherokee word that means "standing alone."

Is anyone else dying to crack open the box? "Break glass in case of emergency" eh? Only a Spartan would view a 10,000-strong Covenant assault as anything less than an emergency. The suspense is killing me...

Edited by Syracuse022, 31 August 2007 - 08:55 PM.

#12 Tyja

Tyja

The artist formerly known as PoeticDave

• 77 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:43 PM

Read the first chapter today, pretty cool stuff. Since i'm actually a Media Student i could give some constructive critism if you want, even if i thought it was pretty badass.

#13 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:46 AM

Read the first chapter today, pretty cool stuff. Since i'm actually a Media Student i could give some constructive critism if you want, even if i thought it was pretty badass.

Tell him to rewrite the opening page. He'll flip out.

:thumbsup:

Didn't get a chance to go through the final draft, Voc. I'll try to hit it up by Tuesday and then we'll cyber. Hardcore.

#14 Tyja

Tyja

The artist formerly known as PoeticDave

• 77 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:01 AM

Tell him to rewrite the opening page. He'll flip out.

I liked the opening page :sweat:

#15 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:10 PM

Just got the chance to read it, and wow man. That was really awesome. I can't wait to read the next part. Great job.

#16 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

Wow that was awesome. Get it noticed by Bungie and you could have yourself a writing job for there next game......whatever non halo game that would be.....
Spoiler

#17 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:13 AM

I just read it at work Voc, it was awesome. I'm going to give it to my friend to read also, I printed him a copy. My favorite part:
Spoiler
:biggrin: Also,
Spoiler
But I was wrong Can't wait for the next one

#18 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:48 PM

Changed the font in both one and two, in order to make it more compact and work better with my pdf conversion software. Hopefully it works. Thanks for the kind words guys. Glad some of you are enjoying it. I think I confessed the real reason I'm working on this project to Ivan today: to make the time between now and 9/25 go by a lot quicker. Nothing is a faster time machine than unflinching deadlines.

#19 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:25 AM

Great stories. Hurry up on that next chapter dammit!

#20 UyghurWolf

UyghurWolf
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:36 PM

After reading chpt. 3 I find it hard to believe that their are 3 more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq