• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:32 PM

New Fable 2 Tidbits Revealed

Lionhead teases us with scraps of info on the sequel to Project Ego.

At this year's E3, Microsoft teased us with a short video for Fable 2, showing off a more mature look and hinting at a playable female character, but little else. Yesterday on the company's website, Lionhead's Sam Vantilburgh gave a very brief update on the game's progress.

Apparently, the developer recently provided a "milestone" build to Microsoft Game Studios, which was well-received. The original Fable drew much ire when it was released without many of the features that had been talked up during its development. Lionhead seems to be avoiding that pitfall this time around, and is not revealing much yet, as "not only would our publisher shoot me in the face, the team would also be upset and I might say things I come to regret further down the line (when inevitable changes are made)." (Indeed, a shot in the face could very well be in store for him, as a certain lawyer recently pointed out.)

What Sam can tell us is the story has been finalized and is now being implemented into the game. Fable 2 is set roughly 500 years after the original and the world of Albion has seen some significant changes, both to its scenery and characters. (The video at E3 showed characters using guns, so the march of industry will apparently be evident in the sequel.) The story will be longer than the original's and also a bit more mature, and Sam believes many players may be shocked at the "rather cool" twists Lionhead has in store.

Sam adds that Lionhead will give another update after its milestone next month.

Ign

#2 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 03:07 AM

I can't wait for a next gen Fable. I think the original was underated because everyone was expecting too much. The original actually looked really nice aswell, wonder what a next gen version will look like...

#3 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:14 PM

I can't wait for a next gen Fable. I think the original was underated because everyone was expecting too much. The original actually looked really nice aswell, wonder what a next gen version will look like...

Agreed.

#4 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 10 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

My wife even liked the original fable. She's also the world's biggest graphics whore. So if the sequel looks any good, she will definitely be buying it for me.

#5 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:21 PM

Not a Fable 2 fighting Demo

#6 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:28 PM

In Fable 2, you begin the game as a shit head.

Literally.

A bird is flying through a beautiful countryside, swooping through the towns, climbing to the tops of highest spires... and then relieves itself. Instead of tracking the bird, the camera follows the feces' battle with gravity as the airborne refuse plops on your character's head.

This is how Fable 2 begins.

Peter Molyneux described Fable 2's opening sequence at Microsoft's X06 conference in Barcelona, Spain. Regrettably, Molyneux had nothing to show from the Fable sequel, but he certainly did have a lot to tell.

After beginning his talk with an apology, Molyneux outlined some of the changes coming to Fable 2, whenever the game ships. He described Lionhead -- his studio -- and what that studio's goals are, but described them slightly bittersweet:

"[Lionhead] is there to make things in ways that other people don't make them. It's there to surprise people and be really ambitious -- and that's what we have to be. We were known for that for a long time and I want to be known for that again."

How will that ambition translate into Fable 2? Molyneux promises that the "plant an acorn, grow it into a tree" sequence of events that he assured would be in Fable, will actually appear in Fable 2, but a small addition like that wasn't nearly enough to define the sequel. Fable's world was supposed to be a simulation; Fable 2's world will also be a simulation-type world. That world, Molyneux maintains, will be dynamically affected by the player in the next iteration of Fable.

The example he used was the evolution of a town, beginning as a small encampment. Molyneux explained that if you took that small encampment, in 10 years it might have evolved in a village -- but what if you killed the people in that encampment? In 10 years, there would be no village; there would only be the forest, undisturbed by people. He called this gameplay feature "dynamic regions."

As Molyneux previously confirmed, in Fable 2 the player's hero can be either male or female, but Fable 2 introduces more than just the ability to play as a woman to Fable's gameplay. Molyneux outlined his five favorite features in Fable 2. After "dynamic regions," what were Molyneux's next four favorite Fable 2 features?

# Unconditional Love: In Fable 2, you'll do the hero quests while you grow up. Additionally, however, you'll be able to court members of the opposite sex, and eventually someone you've courted may fall in love with you and you'll get married. You can choose to have protected or unprotected sex with your partner(s) -- if you have unprotected sex you could have a child. If you are playing a female character, you'll see her belly expand with pregnancy. (Molyneux clarified that there would not be a labor mini-game.) That baby, when born, becomes a part of your family and here is what Molyneux described as a magical moment. "If you went out on a quest and came back and a period of time had passed, the doors of your house would burst open and your child would run out and greet you. Your kid always loves whether you're good or evil."

# Wealth Accumulation: Fable 2 boasts the ability for players to be rich or poor. Rich players can spend their money on weapons, locations, real estate -- every single building, castle, catacomb, hut is available for purchase. If you own it, it unlocks content for you. You can own the castle, the cathedral -- "There is something wonderful about being wealthy. That's the evolution of role-playing games," Molyneux said.

# Constrained Combat: At Leipzig, Molyneux talked a bit about combat in video games, explaining how games are pretty unlike Tarantino's Kill Bill. While his team's "constrained combat" system in Fable 2 won't make you a samurai, it does take into account some new aspects to the Fable series (can we call it a series if there's only been one so far?). "One of the tricks we had in Fable was whenever you swung a sword it wouldn't collide with anything -- that was a Fable 1 trick," Molyneux said. Now, however, the swing of a sword will take into account the geometry surrounding the hero -- effectively constraining his range of motion. The hero's swing and motion interacts and recognizes the environment -- so that he can't just swing aimlessly.

# Molyneux's Secret: The fifth feature Molyneux said was so crazy that his team couldn't believe he wanted to include it. He thinks it will be the feature that everyone talks about when they talk about Fable 2. He then told us that he wouldn't be telling us what it was anytime soon. According to Molyneux, right now, the game might be shown sometime in March -- until then, we're left guessing as to what this feature could be. Is Fable 2 some kind of MMO, where your heroes will be uploaded to a persistent online world? What could Lionhead possibly have in store, and more importantly, will what they do make it to the final game?

1up

#7 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:44 PM

I can see it now: my wife will want to watch me play as a girl who dresses modestly, and uses magic for the good of all I meet, avoiding killing monsters when possible.

#8 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:18 AM

I can see it now: my wife will want to watch me play as a girl who dresses modestly, and uses magic for the good of all I meet, avoiding killing monsters when possible.

If she makes you do that, AND doesn't let you get Gears of War, I will have a few choice words for her.

#9 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:05 AM

Acceptance of Gears of War is slowly beginning to percolate in her mind.

#10 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:37 AM

GDC: Peter Molyneux Unveils Fable 2 Secret: dog sidekick

An A.I. dog partner, marriage with children, and "love" are three key ingredients to upcoming Xbox 360 RPG Fable 2.

Just minutes ago, Peter Molyneux gave one of his first presentations of the day concerning Fable 2, and he showed off a collection of new features that were originally intended to appear in the much-hyped first Fable game.

Molyneux described the first new feature as "risky, but worth the risk. A new canine sidekick will help players distract or threaten enemies, scout out new locations, and find hidden items. Molyneux described the feature as "something you've never seen before," especially in regards to the dog's intelligence. The dog will respond to your standard "yes" and "no" expressions, but is otherwise a completely independent character....aside from the fact that it will do nearly anything to help its master.

The dog will grow to adopt its master's traits, so a wicked hero will see his dog evolve into a Doberman pincher-like beast, while good-natured heros will boast furry, friendly pooches.

The dog will open up a key aspect of Fable 2: emotion. And, more specifically, love. Molyneux laughed as he described the importance of love in Fable 2, saying that reporters would be liable to call him crazy for his claim. But he insisted that the dog sidekick would open up all-new avenues of game design because it would make players forge an emotional bond with a fictional character. Molyneux described the dog's love as "infectious" in nature: "Once you start caring about [the dog," Molyeux explained, "I've got you." Molyneux explained that the dog would factor heavily into the gameplay in almost every way. At one point, the dog was injured during a battle and limped slowly back to its master. Molyneux, however, commanded his hero to leave the dog where it was, adding that the injured dog would slowly limp back to its home even if abandoned.

Another key feature has been added to Fable 2: sex. As before, players can find mates (and yes, same-sex marriage is still firmly in the game). But in a new twist, players can choose to have sex with a mate...and more interestingly, can choose to engage in protected or unprotected sex. The latter option can result in a pregnancy, even for the main character (females are a new option for hero characters). Once born, your offspring will bear a physical resemblance to your hero, and will celebrate your victories when you come by the homestead to visit the family.

What won't be in Fable 2? Miscarriages (Fable 2 "isn't a pregnancy simulation," Molyneux added), high-maintenance sidekicks (the dog "musn't p*ss players off"), and the mini-map from the first game (which Molyneux bemoaned as stealing all the attention from the graphics).

Molyneux shot down theories that Fable 2 would appear in 2007, though, meaning that 2008 is the most likely launch date for the game.

Overall, the graphics in the ultra-early build looked impressive but clearly unfinished. The dog was the most graphically detailed object on display, and featured advanced fur simulation, interpolated animation (which made for highly realistic movements), and massive outdoor environments.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gamepro

#11 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:59 AM

Wooo, can't wait till Fable 2.... gotta wonder when it'll ship though, I'm guessing 2009 knowing Molyneux. Oh, that reminds me, one of my lecturers has met Peter Molyneux, plus I might be going to GDC London and the Team 17 dev house.

#12 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:29 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:09 PM

Boomstick over one shoulder, sword over the other. I like. Another thing is that it looks like the environments aren't as cramped and linear, something I really hated about Fable 1. (even though that's just a test level)

Edited by Kinetic, 07 March 2007 - 01:10 PM.

#14 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

It would be very cool if Fable 2 ended up being as open as Oblivion, but really colourful and Fable-ish. One of my biggest complaints about Oblivion were that the landscape looked so boring in most places.

#15 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:03 PM

Looking good, I only hope it dosen't turn out as linear as the last second to a great game lionhead made. *Cough cough Black and White 2 cough*

#16 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:34 PM

30 minute video with game footage. "Fable 2 interview"

#17 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:37 PM

Soo, does this mean we're not getting Fable 2 this year?

#18 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:16 AM

Soo, does this mean we're not getting Fable 2 this year?

Yeah, it was never going to happen.

#19 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

New Fable 2 in game screens.

Posted Image

More here Click me.

#20 Gamble

Gamble