Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:29 AM

I've decided to go back and remake the maps that I've already released. Each map will be created from scratch again while still using a lot of the ideas that made each map fun to begin with. The changes that will be made will be for the better as I've noticed several things that could have been implemented more effectively including making it fair as much as possible for each team.

Now with these changes to the maps, I've also taken the liberty to make some very minor changes to the gametype itself. Changes include:
- +5 points added to the last remaining human
- Secondary weapon, Magnum, has been given to humans at start

With these changes, I've also come up with the idea of certain gameplay themes for each map on how they will be played like the two I have listed currently "Defend" (I was going to have it labeled "Defense" but whenever I upload the map it turns to BLAM! =/ ) and "Rush."

The Defend maps will be made to have the 'human' players spawn directly on the base side, and have them nearby the "Last Stand" locations.

Side Note: For those of you who don't know what a "Last Stand" location is, it's the place where you want to be at when over half the people in the game are a zombie. These places will, more likely than not, have a fortified position surrounding a Turret. This is your best chance of surviving when things get crazy and people start dieing.

The Rush maps will have the 'human' players spawn at a point furthest from any "Last Stand" zones. These players will have to fight their way through the infected in order to make it to any possible safe area.

I've uploaded the updated Quarantine gametype and the two maps (High Ground and Isolation) that I just finished working on. Since it's been kinda hard for me to coordinate with anyone that likes these gametypes, I would really appreciate it if whoever is trying these new maps out to link me to a good save film of the full match, and/or possibly critique the maps. I'll adjust and hopefully attempt to make the map better according to my feedback. Thanks.

#2 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:40 AM

We could always try to get some infection customs going on. I would join them. I'll check your maps out as well later on.

#3 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:25 PM

I'll need more than just one for testing, but you're more than welcome to join Merguson.

#4 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:34 PM

I know there was a lot of people talking in our lobby, so this would probably be the best place to lay down your thoughts on the gametype and maps. I'll work on more maps asap. Here's some topics that I know which were discussed, but really haven't had the chance because everyone wanted to play the next game so bad. -Should the radar be taken off, or modified? Someone mentioned making the last human survivor should be the only one to gain the ability to have it. -Does there need to be more Alpha Zombies at the start? I know it may seem a little hard for the AZ initially, but does that make the need for more or just a person with more experience? -Last Stand locations too powerful?

Edited by DualX, 06 September 2008 - 11:28 PM.

#5 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:25 AM

Two more maps completed and uploaded. You guys are going to love these versions of Blackout and Ghost Town. I kinda borrowed a little feature from another map for Ghost Town where it has the sun set while you play the game only because it's the only map you can have that kind of effect happen on. We have to try these out tonight.

#6 Merguson

Merguson

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:01 AM

Two more maps completed and uploaded. You guys are going to love these versions of Blackout and Ghost Town. I kinda borrowed a little feature from another map for Ghost Town where it has the sun set while you play the game only because it's the only map you can have that kind of effect happen on.

We have to try these out tonight.

Yes, if my internets does not fail.

I thought your maps was balanced, but I thought the Isolation bases were a tad overpowered, but Zombies could still get through if they worked together. That's a good thing.

#7 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:10 AM

I'm sure most people disagree with me, but I thought last night's maps were fine as they were. Yeah, in theory, everyone could huddle together and the starter zombie could never get a kill, but that's never how it happens. It that ever were to happen, then we could deal with that problem then. But as things stand (and have always stood with zombie games), inevitably someone will take a risk and get killed.

I'm really looking forward to trying out these new maps.

#8 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:14 AM

Also, Dual, don't remove the turrets or de-fortify the human safe rooms. That's what makes it fun. If everyone was just running around shooting zombies, it'd be like SWAT. What makes it awesome is huddling together in a small room and mowing through zombies with a turret as they try to storm in.

#9 Hopdaddy

Hopdaddy
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:11 AM

If everyone was just running around shooting zombies, it'd be like SWAT

Which is what happens in just about every matchmade game in the Living Dead playlist...

I need to play more customs with you guys.

Edited by Hopdaddy, 07 September 2008 - 11:12 AM.

#10 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

-Should the radar be taken off, or modified? Someone mentioned making the last human survivor should be the only one to gain the ability to have it.
-Does there need to be more Alpha Zombies at the start? I know it may seem a little hard for the AZ initially, but does that make the need for more or just a person with more experience?
-Last Stand locations too powerful?

Dual, good job on the gametypes last night. Never thought I'd be taken by Quarantine, but I was and I definitely think we could play it from time to time. To answer your questions:
  • I'd like to see no radar except for the last man standing. That's just my opinion.
  • In parties like the size of ours last night, I think three alpha zombies would be more appropriate. This wouldn't necessarily be needed IF you can put the humans at risk early in the match, possibly spawning the zombies very near to the humans, forcing the humans have to move all the way across the map to get to their "final stand" zone or giving zombies additional abilities for their first life. The key isn't too shorten the match, but to alleviate the frustration felt by the alpha zombie.
  • Nah, I like the last stand locations just the way they are. The counterbalance to last stand locations isn't making them weaker, but giving the zombies more numbers from the onset or better locational options.
I think the only complaint emerges when the alpha zombie and its immediate cohorts can't form an effective assault. That has more to do with in-game coordination than feature implementation.

I'd personally like to see this on some of the larger maps like Standoff and Avalanche, where we can see Warthogs and Mongooses form up against a horde of zombies. In those, you might have to start out with a considerably high amount of zombies compared to your existing versions and allow them to run as fast as the vehicles. Just my take.

Nice job, though, Dual.

#11 KrAzY WiSh

KrAzY WiSh
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

Two more maps completed and uploaded.

Is it possible I could download these from you? Will I have to add you to my friends list or can you just send me a reccomendation? I never used to play infection but recently have grown to love it.
GT: KrAzY WiSh

#12 Merguson

Merguson

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

Is it possible I could download these from you? Will I have to add you to my friends list or can you just send me a reccomendation? I never used to play infection but recently have grown to love it.

It's on his fileshare I believe.

#13 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

Dual, good job on the gametypes last night. Never thought I'd be taken by Quarantine, but I was and I definitely think we could play it from time to time. To answer your questions:

• I'd like to see no radar except for the last man standing. That's just my opinion.
  • In parties like the size of ours last night, I think three alpha zombies would be more appropriate. This wouldn't necessarily be needed IF you can put the humans at risk early in the match, possibly spawning the zombies very near to the humans, forcing the humans have to move all the way across the map to get to their "final stand" zone or giving zombies additional abilities for their first life. The key isn't too shorten the match, but to alleviate the frustration felt by the alpha zombie.
  • Nah, I like the last stand locations just the way they are. The counterbalance to last stand locations isn't making them weaker, but giving the zombies more numbers from the onset or better locational options.
I think the only complaint emerges when the alpha zombie and its immediate cohorts can't form an effective assault. That has more to do with in-game coordination than feature implementation.

I'd personally like to see this on some of the larger maps like Standoff and Avalanche, where we can see Warthogs and Mongooses form up against a horde of zombies. In those, you might have to start out with a considerably high amount of zombies compared to your existing versions and allow them to run as fast as the vehicles. Just my take.

Nice job, though, Dual.

I'll go through and make some adjustments to see how it plays out in our games tonight, but only to the gametype not the maps. I'll turn off the radar completely, and have 3 starting Alpha Zombies.

You can download them here from my fileshare. Just click on the "Download to Halo 3" links and the next time you sign onto Halo 3, they will download directly to your account if you have it linked to your Bungie.net account. I'll just send a friend request just incase.

#14 KrAzY WiSh

KrAzY WiSh
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:16 AM

Cheers mate, I`ll give them a blast this evening :)
GT: KrAzY WiSh

#15 mendicantbias00

mendicantbias00
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:29 AM

You can download them here from my fileshare. Just click on the "Download to Halo 3" links and the next time you sign onto Halo 3, they will download directly to your account if you have it linked to your Bungie.net account. I'll just send a friend request just incase.

I am looking forward to trying these out. I have played many forged infection maps/gametypes but many (if not all) of them are extremely biased towards either human or zombie to the point that the game gets tiring in just a few minutes. I just hope I have enough room left to download them all. :biggrin:

#16 SCHULTZ

SCHULTZ
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for the maps, Dual.

#17 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

You are welcome. :smile:

#18 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:41 PM

I've been creating a new vehicle-centric version of Assault (and the maps to go along with it) today. It's sort of the reverse of Neutral Assault - each team starts off with a bomb, but they each have to arm it at the same place in the middle of the map. If anyone is interesting in trying it out after Quarantine, perhaps we could play it a bit.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#19 Merguson

Merguson

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

As I said I would do so Dual, I'll try my best to reflect on some of the annoyances I had while playing your four maps. In general in terms to your game mode, and for all of the maps. - I would try to increase the number of zombies from one to a higher number (If I'm not mistaken, there is an option for increasing/decreasing the zombie size according to the party size.) - I would give the humans radar, but I would make it so that it only has your human counter-parts. As for the zombie, I would give them radar, but give them the shortest range possible. I think it should just be motion-detected, as if one zombie gets killed, the other zombies have a general idea of where humans might be. I honestly can't think of any problems with your High Ground map, it seems balanced, not one location is overpowered unless the zombies can't work together. As for Isolation, it's also the same as High Ground. but since there's only one way into the Last Stand locations, I would try to tone down any power weapons you might have in there. No one goes into the other base too, give the humans a reason to. For both Blackout and Ghost town, the filters were annoying, I'm not sure if you combined filters. If you did, try using one only if you still want the filters, so it's easier for everyone. You could try Juicy or Gloomy for Ghost town, and a black-white one for Blackout, but I think Blackout is just fine without filters. I might have more ideas, but that's what is in my mind right now. Maybe after I play more of those maps, or possible new ones. As a side note, the Guardian and Construct ones were just old ones right?

#20 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:18 PM

I would try to tone down any power weapons you might have in there.

Yes, but add more normal weapons. Rocket Launcher with less rockets. Sniper with minimal bullets. Laser to take out those zombie cars. More Shotguns, BRs, SMGs and Pistols. Assault Rifles are useless because SMGs kill twice as fast at close range; and you might argue that the AR has longer range, but if you're shooting a zombie from medium range with the AR, you're going to use up an entire clip to kill them, and since the AR doesn't carry that much ammo anyway, you might as well not even bother with them. Seriously Dual, more weapons.

Edited by Blaze, 08 September 2008 - 04:19 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq