Just Cause

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:18 AM

Anyone else notice this pretty badass game?
GameSpot videos
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:28 AM

Anyone else notice this pretty badass game?

Yes.

Demo comes out August 24th.

#3 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:10 AM

The graphics in the videos I've seen look horrible and last-gen-ish. I'd like to get behind the game and not be so harsh, but with Crackdown, Saint's Row, Mercenaries 2, Grand Theft Auto 4, and a variety of other free-roaming action games en route, this one doesn't really excite me. The concept of riding on the top of vehicles seemed cool until I actually saw it and it looked like he was surfing...every single time. I'll download the free demo with my hopes very low and maybe I'll be surprised...one things for sure: I'm getting Crackdown.

#4 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:02 PM

^^^^You took the words right out of my mouth.

#5 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

E3 Presentation

#6 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:33 AM

GC06: Just Cause gameplay

Big thanks to the kind developer of the Avalanche Team who spent his time to show me some cool stuff from Just Cause. The game is in a really good shape, with a rocksolid framerate and some really beautiful graphics. And, most importantly, it looks as over the top as fun as hell. Two thumbs up !

#7 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:40 AM

Just played the demo, and thought it kicked ass. You are on a bit of a timer, because you fail your mission when the sun sets for some reason. The graphics are ace, and overall everything was pretty sweet. NPCs seemed pretty lifeless though, and when you go over the shoulder the aiming blows.

#8 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:27 AM

Taking a helicopter to the top of the map, and jumping out is so much fun. I love the graphics too. Can't wait for the full game. :thumbsup:

#9 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:28 PM

I agree with both Kinetic and Gamble. The demo was simply amazing. I love the fluidity of jumping from a vehicle, to parachuting, to grabbing on to a helicopter, to stealing the helicopter, to skydiving out of the helicopter, to parachuting across the island, to diving into the ocean, etc. The gameplay is very fun and the graphics are really nice. There's a very good chance that I will be buying this game when it comes out.

#10 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

I guess I have try that demo now, what with all the good words I'm hearing from my clan. I'll be back with all the negatives I can find.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#11 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:47 PM

The game didn't suck as bad as I wanted it to. Here's my comments half-and-half. Good: *Haven't had this kind of fun since Pilot Wings on the 64. *BIG. Would take you hours to get from one side of the world to the other on foot or in vehicle. *Game focuses on your fun instead of small limitations. Exampes such as your character jumping through the spinning blades of a helicopter unharmed. Falling from 40 stories and still standing. Unlimited ammo in your last-resort pistols and vehicles. *Good graphics, espescially color. *I yelped a "holy shit" when I took my chopper to the summit of the sky, realized how hi I was and then ditched to skydive all the way to my next objective. That's pretty tight. The game also circles around your freedom to easily move about the level via air time, gliding. *Plenty of Vehicles Bad: *Audio is shit. *Turn (look) controlls are shit. *NPCs are unatractative (poor modeling), and shit for AI. *Movement controls for your character are weak and choppy. *Motion blur. Lots of games rely on this to smooth their movements and animation. Splinter Cell MP is also a good example. *Controls are not instinctive to any level of understanding. Press B to jump -- What The Fuck is this? GameCube imported controls? ]:/ If you take the time to do one of those great skydives, and you actually beat the whole demo before the sun sets, you''ve played the best of the game. There's no reason to buy it, but maybe it is worth renting. When a publisher gives you a demo, they're showing their best stuff without spoiling the main dish. That said, it's not worth purchasing, at least for me.
I got your back, Dual.

#12 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:45 PM

*Motion blur. Lots of games rely on this to smooth their movements and animation. Splinter Cell MP is also a good example.
*Controls are not instinctive to any level of understanding. Press B to jump -- What The Fuck is this? GameCube imported controls? ]:/

When a publisher gives you a demo, they're showing their best stuff without spoiling the main dish.

You can turn motion blur off if it's too much.

Big deal you use B to jump, Oblivion has Y as jump. Takes a minute to get used to. Everything is quick and easy for me.

Well they should have had the grappling gun in there then. I know how the game works now, and I love it even more. Right now I'm in a helicopter with three other helicopters around me. I’m jumping helicopter to helicopter over and over again.

#13 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:32 AM

Splinter Cell has always used Y to jump, and I know I've ran into other games from other publishers that map that action to Y. This is the first time my jump was mapped to B. Tell me, can you change your control scheme too? Every time I wanted to "jump" from vehicle to vehicle, I ended up pressing A and ditching my ride. :( The other controls worked fine for me.
I got your back, Dual.

#14 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:41 AM

Splinter Cell has always used Y to jump, and I know I've ran into other games from other publishers that map that action to Y. This is the first time my jump was mapped to B. Tell me, can you change your control scheme too?

Every time I wanted to "jump" from vehicle to vehicle, I ended up pressing A and ditching my ride. :( The other controls worked fine for me.

They fucked up some things in the demo. You can select two different control schemes...but there the same. If you look at the controls it has "click left stick to crouch", well you can't crouch. Then in the controls and loading screens they mention the grappling gun, but they left it out. After watching videos it would have made some things easier

#15 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:53 AM

Splinter Cell has always used Y to jump, and I know I've ran into other games from other publishers that map that action to Y. This is the first time my jump was mapped to B. Tell me, can you change your control scheme too?

Every time I wanted to "jump" from vehicle to vehicle, I ended up pressing A and ditching my ride. :( The other controls worked fine for me.

Grand Theft Auto uses X to jump.

#16 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

Arg. I was halfway done D/Ling this last night when I was distracted with husbandly duties. I'll have to check it out tonight. The video looked like crrrrap. The demo itself, from the sound of you jaded gamers, sounds much much better. Cool!

#17 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:22 PM

Another thing that I think people are turned off about is the lack of dialogue. Since the island and missions were made specifically for this demo, I'll forgive it because I don't see the point in wasting time/money to record stuff only for a demo. (but still, a lot of people probably don't know that) I'll probably buy this. There's a lot more I've seen than in the demo. There's jets, huge ass cities, and a whore house in the middle of a volcano.

#18 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:54 PM

Kinda gives "eruption" a new meaning. "Husbandly duties." Yeah, I performed those last night, too. Probably mine were funner than yours, being newlywed and all...

#19 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

...and a whore house in the middle of a volcano.

Proof.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq