Ditto.
GT: FinalPOSTMORTEM

#2 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

Campaign/Story

There are multiple things that I would like to see done within this new trilogy. With the story arc finished, and jumping into a new one, this almost feels like being a reboot of sorts as there really are only two familiar characters (no more fighting the Covenant or the Flood?) going straight into the unknown. This would be the perfect time to implement some important changes.

There were several reasons I have been kinda distant when it came to enjoying the story which is unfortunate because it has all of the elements in order to support a very well told story, yet it doesn't implement any of it. And all of these reasons are why I only really enjoy the multiplayer side of the games although I will still go through the campaign to see what all happens.
  • First of which being no real backstory on the Spartans or a lot of things for that matter. The player will have to make that extra step and venture into book land in order to figure out that kind of detail. Why does Master Chief's armor keep changing for no reason? What is the real story behind Sgt Johnson as well as how he survived that explosion? Why the hell did the Covenant attack humanity? Why do they hate us so? And how did they even find Reach? None of this is answered in the games. For what reason?
  • Second is that there really is hardly any character development with any of the characters which makes it hard for me to care when they do inevitably get hurt/shot/die/etc. This goes double for the MC. I know Bungie wanted to go for the ?We want the player to fill his shoes!? kind of attitude, but I feel this is just bad. Having characters that are about as thoughtful as a piece of cardboard does nothing for me.
I really want to be immersed in this new campaign. I don't want another game with all flash and no depth. Please make it happen.

Gameplay

I want to see the new games take a more gritty/realistic approach to include weapons that are not complete garbage. I mean seriously.

• Why does the Assault Rifle have such horrible spread 540-some-odd years in the future? Gameplay balance you say? I say bullshit. This goes the same for the rest of the weapons. Halo is known for it's variety of weaponry and uses, but if this is to continue into the new trilogy, make all weapons worth a damn. I should be able to kill someone with one weapon almost as the same ease as another at least in cases that make sense of course (not to include power weapons obviously).
  • Get rid of the bloom. We're back in the big boy's shoes again, not some mass produced, non-experienced, soldier wannabe. We don't need parental help holding our gun straight now.
  • Armor abilities are a touchy subject in my book. I mean they finally gave me what I've been wanting for so long (sprinting) but has given the annoying players the ability to jetpack. I like that they were taking risks into trying new things, but for the next title please make sure proper tests are done beforehand. And please, no more armorlock...
  • Weapons that have bullets need to keep the hitscan feature. Period.
  • Love the fact that Reach had a much more improved framerate. Wasn't 30, but wasn't exactly 60 either. I suppose this was to allow themselves more flexibility with the visuals as opposed to just going straight 60 fps. Keep this!

Multiplayer

I really hate it when people drop out of a game at the last possible second, or even during a match, because it either wasn't the map they wanted or the game wasn't going the way they wanted. So why not allow people to drop in during the match? Take a cue for Call of Duty on this one at least.

#3 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:53 AM

I'm actually excited for a new Master Chief game. I loved ODST and Reach, but there's something about filling the shoes of the MC that just feels, for lack of a less-over-used word, epic.

#4 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

[*]Why does the Assault Rifle have such horrible spread 540-some-odd years in the future? Gameplay balance you say? I say bullshit. This goes the same for the rest of the weapons. Halo is known for it's variety of weaponry and uses, but if this is to continue into the new trilogy, make all weapons worth a damn. I should be able to kill someone with one weapon almost as the same ease as another at least in cases that make sense of course (not to include power weapons obviously).
[*]Get rid of the bloom. We're back in the big boy's shoes again, not some mass produced, non-experienced, soldier wannabe. We don't need parental help holding our gun straight now.
[*]Armor abilities are a touchy subject in my book. I mean they finally gave me what I've been wanting for so long (sprinting) but has given the annoying players the ability to jetpack. I like that they were taking risks into trying new things, but for the next title please make sure proper tests are done beforehand. And please, no more armorlock...
[*]Weapons that have bullets need to keep the hitscan feature. Period.
[*]Love the fact that Reach had a much more improved framerate. Wasn't 30, but wasn't exactly 60 either. I suppose this was to allow themselves more flexibility with the visuals as opposed to just going straight 60 fps. Keep this!
[/list]Multiplayer

I really hate it when people drop out of a game at the last possible second, or even during a match, because it either wasn't the map they wanted or the game wasn't going the way they wanted. So why not allow people to drop in during the match? Take a cue for Call of Duty on this one at least.

I thought I'd comment on each of these points.

[*]I wouldn't care about the spread as much as it's ability to do it's job.
[*]My understanding is that Halo 1 had this, but that it wasn't shown. Is this just a complaint about the visual or the functionality?
[*]Sprint and Evade are the only ones I like. Jet Pack causes more problems then it's worth, Hologram and Active Camo are worthless, and Armor Lock defines a stupid mechanic, and drop shield is also a stupid mechanic that breaks Invasion.
[*]QFT
[*]I thought Reach ran at a locked 30 and dropped significantly below that during singleplayer, making it worse than Halo 3.

I don't think being able to jump in and out of games would work in Halo. Yeah, players dropping stinks but the ability to jump in and out of games might cause more problems than it's worth in 4v4 or less.
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#5 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

[*]My understanding is that Halo 1 had this, but that it wasn't shown. Is this just a complaint about the visual or the functionality?

Functionality. And even if Halo 1 had this, you never had to slow your shots with the M6D, or even in Halo 2/3 with the Battle Rifle. It's annoying when you have to watch that thing drop down every single time when you're trying to fight someone.

[*]I thought Reach ran at a locked 30 and dropped significantly below that during singleplayer, making it worse than Halo 3.

Incorrect.

Watch this and now watch this.

#6 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:08 PM

It was in Halo 1. Cuse has talked about that a few times recently.

Incorrect.

I don't understand. Neither video contains any information about the framerate. If we're doing a comparison, most videos are rendered at 30 frames per second, so you can't tell if the actual game runs higher than that anyway. In addition, that second video was clearly recorded at a low framerate.

This video has measurements. The game rarely goes to 31. It goes to 28 occasionally with nasty dips when there's a lot of stuff going on.
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#7 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:04 PM

Are we playing the same games? Why does it seem to play much more smoothly then?

#8 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

They do some stuff with motion blur that at times makes the game look smoother. Other times motion blur looks terrible.

#9 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

It was in Halo 1. Cuse has talked about that a few times recently.

These days, I'm mediocre to terrible at all these Halo games I hardly play, but god damn, I'm like an M6D savant. It took all of 2 minutes to feel at home again when I popped Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary: Inaugural Edition in the other day.

Don't question me on matters M6D.

#Winning #Swag #FreeEarl #Halo1Rainman #OgreTwitch

#10 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:08 PM

Reach has hit scan weapons, right? Wasn't Halo 3 the only game without hit scan, or am I confused?

#11 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:50 PM

No, you're right. I'm just suggesting that they keep that intact.

#12 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

Posting this here, since people actually respond to my posts here (sometimes):
Reaganalo

#13 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:48 PM

That's pretty much the case with most games.

#14 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

Posting this here, since people actually respond to my posts here (sometimes):
Reaganalo

Absolutely agree. Another, similar way to look at it is something I learned in Marketing 101.

For any product/company there's always a love group, a hate group, and a swing group. The swing group can be swayed either way. You always sell a product through the eyes of the love group. You let the love group be your advocates and your influencers. If you're able to show the passion for the product that emanates from the love group, then the swing group will buy. This is the reason I was able to convince every kid in my neighborhood to switch from Nintendo/Playstation to an Xbox and Halo. But when you piss off a big chunk of your love group, they're not going to influence the swing group to buy your product.

#15 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 464 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

Absolutely agree. Another, similar way to look at it is something I learned in Marketing 101.

For any product/company there's always a love group, a hate group, and a swing group. The swing group can be swayed either way. You always sell a product through the eyes of the love group. You let the love group be your advocates and your influencers. If you're able to show the passion for the product that emanates from the love group, then the swing group will buy. This is the reason I was able to convince every kid in my neighborhood to switch from Nintendo/Playstation to an Xbox and Halo. But when you piss off a big chunk of your love group, they're not going to influence the swing group to buy your product.

Except the amount of folks in the love group that are "pissed off" is probably a fraction of a percent of the overall group size.

Sounds like a terrible comparison to make if you think the hardcore Halo fans make up a significant amount of the love group. There million of folks out there that will go out and buy a Halo game just because it it's a Halo game. In the same vein folks out and buy COD, Mario and other franchises with huge fan bases. Casual players can be huge "fans" in terms of buying power.

#16 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

I made assumptions in what I said, but you're making a lot yourself. "Except the amount of folks in the love group that are "pissed off" is probably a fraction of a percent of the overall group size."- How do you know that? "There million of folks out there that will go out and buy a Halo game just because it it's a Halo game"- How do you know that? I would say that if that is true, that people buy Halo games based on the name alone, not on word of mouth or other means, it's only because to this point Halo games have met a certain level of quality. I believe that even a casual buyer who picks up a copy of a remake of the original game, is expecting a full remake; not half a one. I would say that in the case I'm describing, the expected level of quality is not being met; we'll see if this is true and if it'll have any impact on current or future sales. Guess we'll see in November. I do think it's funny you act like Halo is invincible. It's clearly starting to show chinks in the armor. I know Microsoft has a lot invested to make sure it doesn't fail, but huge gaming franchises have died and will continue to die due to mismanagement. I'm obviously not saying this is going to happen, but the attitude that Halo is this infallible brand that everyone worships and will continue to buy because of name recognition is a little silly.

#17 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

Posted Image

#18 Nuvalari

Nuvalari
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:36 PM

I want assurances that Luke isn't involved in the competitive ranking system in Halo 4. I still don't understand everything about Arena and it annoys the hell out of me that randoms in matchmaking have to go through several menus on my service record to appreciate my sweet Onyx rating :( Seriously though I don't get why having a number against your name like in 2 and 3 was so bad. Ratings are a smart way of assessing individual performance for stuff like FFA but in team slayer going 12 and 10 with a couple of assists is a decent performance as a team player but yields a mediocre rating. Basically if i'm not increasing the number next to my name through winning lots of games in a playlist I get bored very quickly. Also, get rid of bloom.
XBL: Nuvalari

#19 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:16 PM

I want assurances that Luke isn't involved in the competitive ranking system in Halo 4.

Also, get rid of bloom.

lol at the first sentence. I totally agree and judging by the fact he doesn't work for 343 I'm hoping they'll have someone dedicate more than 30 mins on a spreadsheet to challenges and the player investment system.

Since the TU on Reach is taking it off I hope that it goes without saying that it was a mistake and shouldn't be in H4.

#20 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 464 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:30 PM

The Arena fundamentally changed how players approached competitive multiplayer... they didn't.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq