#41 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:22 PM

While this topic is bumped up, everyone who owns the game owes it to themselves to buy the Lair of the Shadow Broker. Probably one of the best pieces of DLC ever made.

#42 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:26 PM

While this topic is bumped up, everyone who owns the game owes it to themselves to buy the Lair of the Shadow Broker. Probably one of the best pieces of DLC ever made.

I've been weary of a lot of DLC since I bought Fable 2's "1 hour for 10 bucks" dlc. How does the length of Lair of the Shadow Broker and the other DLC compare?
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#43 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:02 AM

I've been weary of a lot of DLC since I bought Fable 2's "1 hour for 10 bucks" dlc. How does the length of Lair of the Shadow Broker and the other DLC compare?

Shadow Broker took me about three and a half hours to complete, and it cranks all the best aspects of Mass Effect up to 11 for every second of it.

#44 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:20 PM

I know this topic's a little old, but I just played LotSB for the first time. Had to dig to find this ME2 thread so I could post a comment about it because that's how hyped I am. Completely agree with the above statement. I'm going so far as to say that this DLC might equal if not surpass the actual campaign of ME2. And it's gotten me addicted to Mass Effect all over again.

Any news on ME3? :P
GT: FinalPOSTMORTEM

#45 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:45 PM

There was something on GAF a week or so ago. EA showed some no name teaser trailers, but they didn't say what the games were. We're fairly certain one of them was ME3. IIRC, there was also a historical event that they showed, which took place around May-July in 19...like it matters. I checked that date and it turns out to be a Thursday in 2011. Draw your own conclusions from that, but I think that might be a release date.

If someone can dig up that thread, please do. EDIT: Found it here.

LotSB was good, but the best DLC I've played is probably The Pitt from Fallout 3, mainly because it's the first time I've seen a real moral choice in a video game. Everything in ME and the rest of Fallout 3 was black and white "be a douche," or "be a saint."

But out of all the single player DLC I've played, ME2 and Fallout 3 are the only ones that have been worth the money.

In case anyone's curious, here's the choice from The Pitt.

Spoiler

#46 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:40 AM

There was something on GAF a week or so ago. EA showed some no name teaser trailers, but they didn't say what the games were. We're fairly certain one of them was ME3. IIRC, there was also a historical event that they showed, which took place around May-July in 19...like it matters. I checked that date and it turns out to be a Thursday in 2011. Draw your own conclusions from that, but I think that might be a release date.

If someone can dig up that thread, please do. EDIT: Found it here.

LotSB was good, but the best DLC I've played is probably The Pitt from Fallout 3, mainly because it's the first time I've seen a real moral choice in a video game. Everything in ME and the rest of Fallout 3 was black and white "be a douche," or "be a saint."

But out of all the single player DLC I've played, ME2 and Fallout 3 are the only ones that have been worth the money.

In case anyone's curious, here's the choice from The Pitt.

Spoiler

That Fallout 3 DLC choice frustrated me so much that I made two saves for each choice, to see which had the most favorable outcome. I know that's kinda cheating the immersion, but...

Needless to say, I didn't see the results of my actions for a while and got really confused about who was fighting who and whether I was doing good or bad and so stopped playing Fallout 3. :P Haven't yet decided when I'm going to go back in to clear it all up.

Lair of the Shadow Broker is just visually stunning, packed with incredible action, amazing emotion (esp. if you had a relationship with Liara), and cool new details about the ME universe, as well as getting access to sweet new stuff at the end of the mission.

#47 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:42 AM

Speaking of visually stunning, did you hit any framerate issues? One of the nice things about ME2 and Fallout is that you have that option. There's a lots of ways to abuse save systems, and that added quite a bit of fun to these games. I don't like though that ME2 has a cap on the number of saved games you can have, which is ridiculous when I have a 60 gig hard drive. Actually, there is a point of no return in ME2 where your import file is locked in for ME3. For example, if Shepard or any other character dies, you cannot revert to an older save file and create a new one where s/he does survive. The import file for that character will still read "this character is dead." My guess is that you're locked in
Spoiler

#48 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:04 AM

Makes sense though, since that's the story heavy portion of the campaign. And no, I didn't have any issues at all with the DLC. It ran smoothly and perfectly the whole way through. :)

#49 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

Great...that might be a first indication that the 360 is dying...time to backup everything... I might still be under the MS warranty though.

#50 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:33 AM

So apparently Sony Russia let loose a tweet which stated "Company #BioWare Award for #VideoGameAwards showed a teaser, in which we can see the first footage #MassEffect 3." It's been removed so either it was a slip-up or getting facts mixed up. Plus it is a translation so it could be wrong.

#51 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:21 PM

It's Mass Effect: Brotherhood.

#52 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:22 PM

The sniper and the material of the guy's clothing looked Mass Effect-esque... but everything else? I dunno, it would be a huge change in direction for the series.

#53 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 464 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

The PC version is the shit. Eagerly awaiting ME3. Anyone read the (only?) first ME novel? The ME universe is rich and ideal for more.

Edited by Slightly Live, 22 November 2010 - 05:53 PM.

#54 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

I read the first one, but it was a while ago and I don't really remember much. Apparently they get better after that. There's three novels total, right? And then comics and such... Game Informer had a great visual about all the pieces of the ME universe and how they all fit into the timeline. Everything down to the ipod app. Apparently it all has a canonical place in the fiction. Which is cool.

Edited by Postmortem, 22 November 2010 - 07:41 PM.

#55 Arcys

Arcys

Nothing but the rain.

• 53 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

Yeah, three novels total and all of them were written by one of the main writers for the game, so they fit in very well with the games storyline. There's some dialog during the beginning of one of the first levels referencing a situation from one of the books that gave me a bigger boner than I already had.

If you're interested in the Quarians at all, you need to read the second one.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for I am missing my amygdala.

#56 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:53 AM

Well then... looks like I'm gonna have to go pick it up. :) Honestly I didn't enjoy the first one too much. I mean, it was well written and expanded on the universe very well, but it didn't really hold me in. I felt like the story was a little bland compared to the game itself. If the other books have more exciting stories, I'll gladly pick those up.

#57 aander91

aander91
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

2's storyline is a bit better in the way that it feels like there's more going on in the forefront.
I rate this post/Drew.

XBL: aander91

#58 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:38 AM

Lair of the Shadow Broker got good reviews from you guys, but how about the Overlord DLC. Is it worth it?

#59 Arcys

Arcys

Nothing but the rain.

• 53 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:29 AM

Lair of the Shadow Broker got good reviews from you guys, but how about the Overlord DLC. Is it worth it?

I liked it, but it certainly isn't as good as Lair of the Shadow Broker. Overlord gives you a great atmosphere. I jumped a quite a few times during play with my two characters. Length of play is good as well. It's a whole lot longer than the other earlier DLC packs.

Storyline can get a bit wonky if you're playing after you finished the game, and there's a bit of an audio issue with one of the characters being to loud when they speak, but beyond that there's nothing else negative about Overlord.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for I am missing my amygdala.

#60 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

All three DLC's are pretty strong imo. It's like Chocolate Chip Cookies and MM Cookies, MM's are better but I ain't about to turn down cookies. But if I had to rank them gameplaywise, Lair > Stolen Memory > Overlord >>> Anything from the Cerberus Network. This is a result of the Hammerhead in the Overlord and Firewalker. Nice try Bioware, but the Hammerhead sucks. Not as bad as the Mako though. Story and regular combatwise, it's Overlord > Lair > Stolen Memory >>> CN. I'm sure others would put Lair first, but I found Overlord more intriguing. I felt Lair was a little too predictable, but that's just nitpicking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq