#21 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 2,979 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

Maybe in 343's hands, sure. I'll give them a chance. But what Bungie's Reach did goes beyond retconning and straight into disregarding.

#22 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

The Fall of Reach is now considered fan fic.

#23 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 458 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

Still want price parity for the UK with the US. There also needs to be a special edition of some kind. Maybe include the improved ODST or a fancy joypad like ODST did.

#24 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

Still want price parity for the UK with the US. There also needs to be a special edition of some kind. Maybe include the improved ODST or a fancy joypad like ODST did.

HCEACE :P
GT: FinalPOSTMORTEM

#25 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

I've decided that the real reason that we're all pissed off about no multiplayer is that we don't have friends cool enough or close enough to LAN with. Instead of a forum, we should all move to an Ascendant Justice commune with a baller LAN set-up. Bannings, arguments, etc. would be even more epic that way too.

#26 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:04 AM

I've decided that the real reason that we're all pissed off about no multiplayer is that we don't have friends cool enough or close enough to LAN with. Instead of a forum, we should all move to an Ascendant Justice commune with a baller LAN set-up. Bannings, arguments, etc. would be even more epic that way too.

Like a retirement home? Will we have caretakers to change our bedpans too?

I support this idea.

#27 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:26 AM

Bannings, arguments, etc. would be even more epic that way too.

Can't help but picture drew locked in a cage for a week while Blaze, Gamble, and Nightshade devise ways to free him.

#28 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,841 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Cocopjojo
  • PSN:Cocopjojo
  • Steam:Cocopjojo

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:29 AM

So Ivan would be like Morty Seinfeld at his retirement community, and Drew would be that other old guy with the pen that writes upside down, and who eventually overthrows Morty and kicks him out of the community?

#29 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:37 AM

There are 8 houses in my neighborhood for sale. Including the house next to mine. I live about a mile into the neighborhood.

#30 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

So Ivan would be like Morty Seinfeld at his retirement community, and Drew would be that other old guy with the pen that writes upside down, and who eventually overthrows Morty and kicks him out of the community?

Posted Image

#31 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:49 AM

The only problem with this is that we're limited to 4 boxes on H1. I would love it if we could do 16 players each with their own screen on Blood Gulch and Sidewinder.

Sigh, I can only dream.

#32 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

Let's play a game called compare and contrast.

"From the beginning expectations were set very high: this would not be a quick and dirty port to make a quick buck, but instead a polished HD overhaul that would do justice to the greatness of the original, no matter how much time and resources would be needed."

The team apparently resisted any temptation to make any gameplay tweaks, although a more lavish collector's edition was considered.
"It's like re-mastering a movie classic. You don't want to mess with the original; people love it as it is, and it is so special..."

"We have a huge asset we didn't have back then ? great fans who are very supportive, and are great at explaining the game and sharing their love for it. Also, Beyond Good & Evil has held up very well and, in my opinion, it remains one of the best adventure games on the market."

They're charging $10 for this sucker. Buying it as soon as I get access to Xbox Live Rewards.

#33 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

Let's play a game called compare and contrast.

They're charging $10 for this sucker. Buying it as soon as I get access to Xbox Live Rewards.

That game, good as it was apparently, never played it, sold like poop. But the developers really liked it and wanted to make the sequel. The sequel has been in development hell for quite some time because the purseholders within the developers don't want to risk wasting lots of money again with another flop. A quick HD port of the original game is hoped to make a quick buck and attempt to convince the purseholders that the IP isn't useless and there is a market for it. If it sells well, the sequel will most likely get fast tracked out of development hell. Apparently its done decently but not spectacular.

Yep, exactly like Halo.

#34 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:30 PM

I'm sure when Activision does this for Call of Duty, they'll also charge $40.

Oh, wait...

They already did?

Oh, and it had multiplayer? And updated HD graphics?

And it was only $15?

Bad, evil Activision!

#35 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

Yep, exactly like Halo.

Really, your argument is "it's a great-selling franchise, so of course we should expect to pay 3 times what it should cost?"

I want to be very clear that that is your argument. No ambiguity, no snide remarks.

Your opinion is that the $40 price is justified because "It's Halo."

#36 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

It seems like a number of people are willing to assume that "It's Halo" and that the brand still carries the same weight for this reason alone. This is 343i's first Halo game. They've made 0 up to this point. I don't know how this keeps getting glossed over. With that in mind, you'd think they would want to engender some good will with established fans so that we continue to evangelize for the series.

I called Marty a prick when he made that "The definitive Halo, made by the people who created Halo" quote in a ViDoc, but guess what? Based on Bungie's track record, I'm a Bungie fan. I don't necessarily have to be a Halo fan anymore, and the way this particular Director's Cut release is being handled (i.e. preparing the table as though it's surf and turf night and instead bringing out soup and salad) is making me more than wary, clearly. I keep seeing the claim made that people who are upset over the lack of multiplayer are just a vocal minority. I guess we'll find out. Maybe there's enough inertia behind the Halo name alone at this point - it sure seems that way with the way a lot of HaloGAF are so trusting of everything "Based Frankie" says. Fuck all my bitches indeed.

Posted Image

#37 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

Does it have multiplayer with matchmaking?

#38 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:03 PM

I'm going to pretend this is a legitimate question and not the troll it appears to be.

It's an adventure game with no multiplayer component.

Notice you didn't ask that about CoD Classic. Wonder why?

#39 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

Does Anniversary have Halo 1 multiplayer with matchmaking?
Posted Image

#40 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

Really, your argument is "it's a great-selling franchise, so of course we should expect to pay 3 times what it should cost?"

I want to be very clear that that is your argument. No ambiguity, no snide remarks.

Your opinion is that the $40 price is justified because "It's Halo."

No ambiguity or snide remarks.

- retail release versus digital release
- new achievements versus new achievements
- upscaled to HD (Classic mode) versus upscaled to HD
- entirely rebuilt HD campaign enviroments and models versus... nothing
- Re-orchestrated music and updated sound FX versus remastered sound
- Additional online co-op mode versus no updated game modes
- New Easter eggs and extras versus .. (I don't know if BGE HD has any extras)
- Addition of $20 worth of multiplayer content which can be played with the same disc or with seperate game disk versus no additional content for other games

The Reach content alone is worth $20 - the value it has if is released separately.

Lets just say CEA's base game is the same as BGE HD's base game. Original campaign upscaled in HD. So that would be worth $10.

We have $10 left over for the extra content that CEA has over BGE HD. Are Easter Eggs, orchestrated score/music, online co-op, entire campaign environments rebuilt and re-imagined worth $10 to me? Hell yes. Is it worth it to you? Probably not.

Just ignoring the value of IP's here. Like it or not but popular IP's command higher price points than other IP's in various sectors of the industry but I'm not taking that into considering in the valuation comparison above.

Maybe there's enough inertia behind the Halo name alone at this point - it sure seems that way with the way a lot of HaloGAF are so trusting of everything "Based Frankie" says. Fuck all my bitches indeed.

Why single out NeoGAF? There's plenty of other places and communities you could use to make an example.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo: CE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq