Pidgin Instant Messenger

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

Firstly, I was introduced to Pidgin by a few people I instant message with and was extremely hesitant on getting it. Most of my instant messaging is done at work, via AIM, and up until now, that's the vast majority of my IM'ing status. I will say that I don't know all of the features AIM has, but I know one of its most prevalent is its inherent ability to spam your face with ads and bullshit. For this reason, I decided to take the dive and I downloaded Pidgin from here.

What it does is bundle all of your IM clients together. I know it supports AIM, Yahoo, and Windows Live Messenger (MSN), as well as a few others. So that means when you log in through Pidgin, it logs you into all of those clients through Pidgin's simple, clean and proficient user interface. Now, that's the real seller for me because of the ad bombardment most IM software throws your way. Pidgin is not only clean and ad free, but it bundles your IMs in one cohesive window and allows you to drag and pull IMs separately, to create their own individual windows. You can create chats and send files just like a normal IM service, but the UI is much more pliable and reasonable.

It gives you an indicator when someone is typing a response by highlighting their handle in green, when they're editing by highlighting in yellow and when they've responded by highlighting in red. It also allows you to see the individuals on your friends list, their image, their away message (or available message) and how long they've been idle. The little box at the bottom of the IM window is my own availability which can be changed on the go and text added. No window needed to pop up, and it will change on its own when I'm idle to whatever preset status I want it to change to.

I actually wouldn't even bring this up, but the IM system has been so bad ass, that I'd feel like an ass not to show it off. Enlarge this pic and take a gander at it briefly:

Posted Image

If you have any questions, let me know.

#2 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:37 AM

Does it handle showing images within the conversation without having to send it to their drive instead? I know Trillian sounds almost just like this program. I used it every so often.

#3 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

:thumbsup:

#4 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:14 PM

Does it handle showing images within the conversation without having to send it to their drive instead?

I know Trillian sounds almost just like this program. I used it every so often.

I think you have to open a direct connection in order to send images, just like AIM. Also: Pidgin (lolpidgeon) is awesome.

#5 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

Just an FYI for any wondering, Pidgin is what used to be known as GAIM.

#6 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

Just an FYI for any wondering, Pidgin is what used to be known as GAIM.

That makes sense, I heard so many good things about GAIM.

#7 Shin Karasawa

Shin Karasawa

Halo?

• 432 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:02 PM

I've heard GAIM has wonky direct connection and file transfer issues. Lemme know if these issues have been eliminated in Pidgin. :3

#8 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

So far, I think they are gone. That's what I was using when sending you those images, Phantom.

#9 Shin Karasawa

Shin Karasawa

Halo?

• 432 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:01 PM

Then I'll look into it. :D

#10 Ayavaron

Ayavaron
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:14 PM

I've been using Pidgin for about a month or two now and I love it. I used to use Trillian but I find Pidgin to be better in every imaginable waiting. I especially like how it looks like a normal part of Windows and not like some leftover from an alien operating system. The plugins and things just sweeten the deal.

#11 RetroShadow

RetroShadow

Your Local Cinematographer and Photographer

• 623 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:12 PM

Version 2.2.0 is out

Link
XBL:RetroShadow
AIM:RetroShadow1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq