H3 Tournament League?

Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 r3dn3ck snip3r

r3dn3ck snip3r
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

Hey you guys, I was thinking of going professional with Halo 3... I've never played professionally before, and looked into it a few weeks ago... I don't like the fact that MLG has such a strict set of rules on weapons and shields and such... So I was thinking... Why not start my own league? The only problem, of course, would be the prize money. I'm sixteen years old, and I don't have money like that to give away. So why not have all the contestants pool their money, and winner can take all? Think about it... If ten teams of four players each entered, and each player put in 25 dollars, then the prize money would be a 1000 bucks. That means that the winning team would get 1000 dollars, which, for those math challenged people, is 250 a player. The only flaws in my plan are the following: 1. There would have to be alot of trust put into this for it to work. Seeing as this is going to be done over Xbox Live, people can get away with not paying up alot easier. 2. Also, if everyone is trustworthy, how to get the money to the winners? What if one team member lives in New York, another in Texas, another in California, and another in Colorado? Anyway, guys, thought I would throw this out there, see what you guys think. I would appreciate some help with the flaws listed above. Thanks! -r3d

#2 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:24 PM

if the games are done over xbox live than the integrity of the host will matter too much

#3 r3dn3ck snip3r

r3dn3ck snip3r
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:40 PM

host... of the game? I was thinking the host would switch each match

#4 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

host... of the game?

I was thinking the host would switch each match

But what about cheating. and Quality of connection. Lag

#5 r3dn3ck snip3r

r3dn3ck snip3r
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:42 PM

true. didn't think about those things... how would you suggest dealing with those?

#6 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:43 PM

true. didn't think about those things...
how would you suggest dealing with those?

everyone would have to be HONEST

would never happen

#7 zenbaltz

zenbaltz

axisZENalive

• 199 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:46 PM

LOL... nice to meet you r3d. WE ARE DOING THIS AT hvgaming.net!! Drop by and check us out!

Edited by Sub Xero, 26 April 2007 - 03:47 PM.

#8 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

3. If you're getting into this to make money for yourself, giving away all the prize money will leave your pockets quite empty... 4. Becoming a video game professional requires a lot of the same concepts as becoming a professional athlete. Different people are born with a different aptitude (reaction times, quick decision-making, thin slice recognition), and you can't just choose to become a pro.

#9 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:08 PM

Last year my friends and I started to realize we were getting pretty good at Halo 2 and decided we were gonna try to go pro. After a few months you realize how much time you DONT have to dedicate to getting as much play time as the pro's do. I was 22 at the time. With a girlfriend, a job, school, a life, it makes it difficult. you are young so i'm sure its not a big deal for you to come home from school everyday and sizzle on the controller for 6 hrs a day and not have to worry about a job and bills. If your parents aren't forcin you to get a job than go for it brother!!

#10 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:11 AM

Misconception #1: The pros play more than everyone else. Reality: The pros play 'better' than everyone else. That is, when pros practice, they know how to work on their game so that they get the most out of every second spent in game. All that shit you just listed? It applies to almost all of the top tier pro players as well. The OGREs? They're in college, they have girlfriends, and they have a job - their job is raping at Halo. Yours isn't, and a legitimate excuse is not "I have a life, I don't play as much as they do." Because they don't play that much, except in the week leading up to tournaments, when they ramp up their practice time to get ready.

#11 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:32 AM

Misconception #1: The pros play more than everyone else.
Reality: The pros play 'better' than everyone else. That is, when pros practice, they know how to work on their game so that they get the most out of every second spent in game. All that shit you just listed? It applies to almost all of the top tier pro players as well. The OGREs? They're in college, they have girlfriends, and they have a job - their job is raping at Halo. Yours isn't, and a legitimate excuse is not "I have a life, I don't play as much as they do." Because they don't play that much, except in the week leading up to tournaments, when they ramp up their practice time to get ready.

So you're saying that the reason they make money in Halo is because the make making money in Halo their job...and they're badass.

#12 r3dn3ck snip3r

r3dn3ck snip3r
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:36 AM

LOL... nice to meet you r3d. WE ARE DOING THIS AT hvgaming.net!! Drop by and check us out!

3. If you're getting into this to make money for yourself, giving away all the prize money will leave your pockets quite empty...

4. Becoming a video game professional requires a lot of the same concepts as becoming a professional athlete. Different people are born with a different aptitude (reaction times, quick decision-making, thin slice recognition), and you can't just choose to become a pro.

3. That's why I got the idea of pooling the money together

4. Well, you can choose to. MJ chose to become a pro, Tiger Woods chose to become a pro. Granted, they are both very talented, but they weren't just born with that skill. They practiced hard, and often. Being born is only half of it.

Last year my friends and I started to realize we were getting pretty good at Halo 2 and decided we were gonna try to go pro.

After a few months you realize how much time you DONT have to dedicate to getting as much play time as the pro's do. I was 22 at the time. With a girlfriend, a job, school, a life, it makes it difficult.

you are young so i'm sure its not a big deal for you to come home from school everyday and sizzle on the controller for 6 hrs a day and not have to worry about a job and bills. If your parents aren't forcin you to get a job than go for it brother!!

Well, I do have a job, but I don't have to pay bills. I know I'll have to dedicate alot of my life to practicing, and I think that at least until I graduate next year, I can do that. Anyway, I think its worth a shot. Who knows? I may be famous one day.

#13 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:59 AM

Who knows? I may be famous one day.

Not with a name like 'r3dn3ck snip3r.' You need a name that zings...like...like..."Dirk Diggler!"

#14 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

Misconception #1: The pros play more than everyone else.
Reality: The pros play 'better' than everyone else. That is, when pros practice, they know how to work on their game so that they get the most out of every second spent in game. All that shit you just listed? It applies to almost all of the top tier pro players as well. The OGREs? They're in college, they have girlfriends, and they have a job - their job is raping at Halo. Yours isn't, and a legitimate excuse is not "I have a life, I don't play as much as they do." Because they don't play that much, except in the week leading up to tournaments, when they ramp up their practice time to get ready.

The Ogres are 20 years old. They have been kicking ass since Halo 1 5 years ago. When they were in high school and had nothing else to do. Now they are in college (with internet access) and have girlfriends and Halo is their job.

I think to be a pro at Halo (or at the most very good at it) you have to go through a good "Rotting" period. Where you are playing for a ridiculous amount of time for 6months to a Year (just IMO) and of course finding teammates that play well with you

From that point I think you can manage with casual playing and some serious buckle-ing down 2 weeks before a tournament.

#15 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:06 AM

Not with a name like 'r3dn3ck snip3r.' You need a name that zings...like...like..."Dirk Diggler!"

I agree.

Gamertags with the name Sniper in them make me cringe.

Try CO x R3dneck

:biggrin:

#16 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:08 AM

I agree.

Gamertags with the name Sniper in them make me cringe.

Try CO x R3dneck
:biggrin:

A better one would be SnipercusPrime...

#17 r3dn3ck snip3r

r3dn3ck snip3r
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:33 AM

First of all: Halo hasn't exsisted for fifteen years. Secondly: If I do become famous, you're right, the name'll have to change. The only reason I picked the one I have is because I'm from North Carolina, and I love to snipe (in games). When I make the change, I was thinking "Reaper" or "The Last Gunman"... Just thoughts...

#18 r3dn3ck snip3r

r3dn3ck snip3r
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:36 AM

I can't get onto hvgaming.net... wanna gimme a link?

#19 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:38 AM

I can't get onto hvgaming.net...
wanna gimme a link?

not 15 years Halo 1..... 5 years ago

i shoulda said halo CE

#20 r3dn3ck snip3r

r3dn3ck snip3r