XBOX 360

• Please log in to reply
1070 replies to this topic

#1 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:07 PM

EDIT: Rather than keep two threads about the Xbox 360 up, I simply have edited DualX2's thread (which had been around the longest) with the pictures from Team Xbox. Pay attention to MTV on May 12th, as that is when the new Xbox will be unveiled.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Guts of the Next Box

# CPU - Xenon's CPU has three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores. Each core is capable of two instructions per cycle and has an L1 cache with 32 KB for data and 32 KB for instructions. The three cores share 1 MB of L2 cache. Alpha 2 developer kits currently have two cores instead of three.

# GPU - Xenon's GPU is a generation beyond the ATI X800. Its clock speed is 500 MHz and it supports Shader 3.0. Developers are currently working with an alpha 2 GPU. Beta GPU units are expected by May and the final GPU is slated for a summer release. The final GPU will be more powerful than anything on the market today; in game terms, it would handle a game like Half-Life 2 with ease.

# System Memory - Xenon will have 256 MB of system RAM. Keep in mind that this number should not be equated to typical PC RAM. The Xbox has 64 MB of system RAM and is a very capable machine.

# Optical Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon will not use Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Games will come on dual-layer DVD-9 discs. While the media is the same as that of the current Xbox, the usable space on each disc is up to 7 GB. The drive is slated to run at 12X.

# Memory Units - Xenon will use 64 MB to 1,024 MB memory cards. 8 MB is reserved for system use, leaving a 56 MB to 1,016 MB for user data.

# Hard Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon's hard drive is optional. 2 GB of the drive will be used as game cache. The final drive size is still being determined.

# Camera - Xenon will have a USB 2.0 camera. It's capable of 1.2 megapixel still shots and VGA video. Photos can be used in-game and for gamer profiles. The camera can also be used for video chat. It's unknown if the Xenon camera will allow for EyeToy-like gameplay. Developers are currently using a simulated camera driver.

# Sound Chip - Xenon does not have an audio chip in the traditional sense. Decompression is handled by hardware, while the rest of the chores are handled by software. DirectSound3D has been dropped in favor of X3DAudio. The former was deemed too inflexible.

Whether the games are single player or multiplayer, all Xenon titles tie into a new gamer profile feature. Think of it as a universal profile for each gamer that uses the system; the gamer profiles are the player's single identity across all Xenon games. Similar to how a single Windows XP machine can be set up for multiple users, each Xenon system will house profiles for every gamer it serves. This feature is fantastic for households with multiple gamers, since each player's settings can be saved in his or her profile and selected when the system boots.

The system is very flexible. You're able to choose universal settings while making exceptions for individual games. You can set your profile to automatically set inverted controls and yellow uniforms if that's your preference, but if for some reason you prefer to play Splinter Cell with a standard look and orange uniforms you can change the setting for just that title.

It will be easier than ever for players to communicate with others on Xenon. Players no longer need to create custom message centers for each game. The message center manages player-to-player messages, friend invites, game invites, open P2P messaging, service-to-player messages, and title-to-player messages. Players can also communicate via voice and video chat.

All online multiplayer games are required to have social and ranked matches. Social matches rely on affiliate list tracking. Each player can be in contact with 1500 others, including friends, recent players, and preferred players.

Last, but not least, is the" Gamer Card." Think of it as an at-a-glance gamer profile. The Gamer Card allows other online players to quickly see another's Gamertag, title, Gamer Creds, reputation rating, gamer zone, country, and title. It's a virtual membership card that helps gamers find people to play with. If you think you've found a match then you can select the Gamer Card to view that player's full profile to make sure.

I also heard that it was backwards compadible.

#2 TheDrinkNinja

TheDrinkNinja
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:35 PM

Genuinely surprised by their decision to go with the Power PC chips (It's what my Mac uses), but concerned for a lack of any real innovation. Sure, the standardizing is cool and all, but I get the feeling that Nintendo and Sony might have some more stuff up their sleeve.
XBL: TheDrinkNinja

#3 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:41 PM

I wouldn't count on that to be the next gen design. That looks like a spray painted pizza box. There was a picture of its controller floating around the web for some time, I never actually got my hands on it though.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#4 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:16 PM

The pic is a good concept but nowhere near what the real one will look like. First of all, it looks like they're actually going to name it XBOX 360, as gay as it is it's pretty much certain. Another thing is that the four ports for controllers will be no more, only two ports on the front with wireless capability and at least 1 additional controller can be plugged into the rear of the unit if needed via a USB port. I have to say I don't really care if they only have two ports in the front, we all play online now anyway it seems to make sense. Watch Sony finally put four ports on theirs now that it's not needed, I'll laugh so hard. I'm hoping that the universal messaging, friends, and matchmaking feature is truly a universal feature incorporated into all games from Microsoft. I really hate the menu for Chaos Theory and honestly that's one of the better ones. Everything should work like Halo 2 at least, if not better. I can think of many ways to imporve it.

#5 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:20 PM

By in large, these are fan images floating around here. We'll see Xbox Next in less than a month, but I'm pretty certain its not that design or this one here:

Posted Image

Posted Image

BRASH, I believe this is the controller everyone is talking about:

Posted Image

I would personally like an optional tower and I think they could pull it off. I have one at work similar to this:

Posted Image

Its been the source of endless, daytime fantasies. E3 is so close, I can't wait.

Edit: I hated the Xbox 360 name at first, but now I understand their marketting. This machine will do pretty much everything. I've heard mp3 storage with IPOD connections, I've heard DVR capabilities like Tivo, I've heard it will even play video games!!!

#6 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:20 PM

Whoa.

#7 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:23 PM

I like the feel of the current Xbox controller and other than the black/white buttons, I'd like them to leave it the hell alone. It's the best FPS controller ever devised.

#8 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:25 PM

Yeah I like my Black and White buttons on the top part of my controller not the bottom like the S controller <_< .

#9 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:32 AM

I like the positions of the b&w buttons on the s-pad, I can press them without moving my right thumb off the a, b, x & y buttons.

This picture I actually think may be quite close to the truth....
Posted Image

And another (probably fake) picture of the next Xbox
Posted Image

• Guests

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:36 AM

I like the positions of the b&w buttons on the s-pad, I can press them without moving my right thumb off the a, b, x & y buttons.

This picture I actually think may be quite close to the truth....
Posted Image

Posted Image

LMAO, That reminds me of that one south park episode.

OKAMA GAME SPHERE!

#11 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:48 AM

Hah, I think that kicks ass actually. It's not the most practical hardware, but it looks fucking cool.

#12 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,705 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:18 AM

Posted Image

This is my favorite design so far. It's just a computer picture, but it's still sexy.

#13 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:52 AM

Posted Image

Ahhhhhhh 343 Guilty Spark!!!!

#14 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:24 PM

Heh, that's not Guilty Spark. This one's got a green glow, so he's probably monitor of Instillation 03 or something.

Seriosuly though, it actually does look a little like a Monitor.

#15 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:46 PM

If you guys are all still interested in the Xbox 2 stuff. Here are 2 articles.

This one is about the Xbox 2's pad, it's got some pretty pictures aswell. I'm not sure how real some of them are but I am sure that the ants site is from MS, so the pictures from that site are probably official. Anyways, here's the article:
http://www.gamesaref...php?newsid=4683

This one is pretty much a confirmation of the name Xbox 360 (even though I really don't like that name):
http://news.teamxbox...t-OurColonyNet/

EDIT: Oops, hadn't finished reading the last article, seems like the car could also have 360 in the name, so meh, maybe I'm in luck.

#16 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:22 PM

Wow, this is pretty much confirmation on Xbox 360 coming out this year. MTV is doing a special hosted by Elijah Woods on the Next Generation Xbox. Here are some words on it, but it pretty much guarantees that E3 will be covering the new Xbox. I'm surprised at Microsoft's aggressive ability, they really want the next generation market bad. The controllers look like a cross between the Dreamcast controllers and the current S-Controller. I loved the Dreamcast controllers...

#17 soapofdurden

soapofdurden

Can use the magnum.

• 257 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:06 PM

Absolutely! The controllers look tits and if the system is white, I would be very happy. I have a white ps2 and it's pretty fuckin sexy.
Gamertag: soapofdurden
soapofdurden@yahoo.com
AIM: soapofdurden101

#18 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:02 AM

I remember Japan had some sweet deals on different colored Xboxes a couple years ago. Some of them were really sexy, but the white one was gorgeous.

#19 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:49 AM

I had always liked this Xbox...

Posted Image

...but it is only available for people in the UK.

EDIT: Thanks UHYVE.

#20 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:44 AM

Yeah, I was gonna buy one of those at one point and use my old xbox for modding and stuff. They are very purdy and still sold over here. EDIT: Woah, thanks Voc, I didn't realise that the MTV program thing was gonna be shown in Europe. That's pretty cool, I'll have to remember to watch that. EDIT2: Np Blaze :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq