Playstation 4

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#41 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,910 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

Crazy. I will never not buy discs for consoles, as long as I have the option. How would I be able to lose them, otherwise?

#42 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

I think this is the best console Sony has ever made. It is damn near perfection in terms of hardware, the power supply is built-in to the unit, all components attach to a central frame with only covers on each side, it's simple to upgrade the hard drive, and this honestly is the better looking console.

Wired Video Teardown

20131016-JAPAN-0251_edit-660x440.jpg

20131016-JAPAN-0120_edit-660x440.jpg

#43 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

Also, buy 2 get 1 free at Target.

8wT71oS.jpeg

#44 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,910 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:07 PM

I wish Amazon would match that, but I fucked up and pre-ordered a bundle with a game in it.

Awesome teardown, too.

Edited by Drew, 07 November 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#45 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,841 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Cocopjojo
  • PSN:Cocopjojo
  • Steam:Cocopjojo

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

Wow, that's awesome. What are the chances that Amazon matches this? Do they always price match? I'm not going to camp out at Target, and I suspect the stock will sell through at midnight.

I haven't bought any PS4 games yet, so I could use this to get BF4, Killzone and CoD.

#46 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,910 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

I spent the better part of an hour yesterday getting the run-around from Amazon's customer service department, I don't think they'll be matching it, unfortunately.

By the way, anyone planning on replacing the stock HDD in the PS4? I was looking at this as my replacement drive. Seems to be the best price/performance/size I could find. Keep in mind you can only use up the 9.5mm high 2.5" drives in the PS4, the bigger 2TB 15mm drives WILL NOT fit.

#47 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

Drew, I saw a guy on twitter who found a 1.5 TB hybrid drive which has flash and is the right size. Those are much faster.

Why can't you cancel your amazon preorders and just buy the games at Target?

#48 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,910 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

Drew, I saw a guy on twitter who found a 1.5 TB hybrid drive which has flash and is the right size. Those are much faster.

Why can't you cancel your amazon preorders and just buy the games at Target?

I have a bundle ordered via Amazon with Killzone included. I fought and fought with them about getting the game removed but had no luck. The only games I'd really be interested in are Killzone, BF4, and CoD... I might end up biting the bullet and doing the Target deal anyway - I have no idea what I'd choose as my free game, though. Maybe Knack?

Be careful with anything over 1TB. Even though it's 2.5", many of them are 14 or 15mm thick - too large to fit inside the PS4's HDD enclosure, which can only house drives up to 9.5mm thick. Every 1.5TB+ 2.5" drive I have found is too large to fit. Did you have a link to the specific drive? You also have to be careful with the hybrid drives, as many of them use a 5400RPM platter speed - which will end up slower than their 7200RPM cousins in most use cases related to gaming. There are a few hybrids with 7200RPM, but they are generally pretty expensive and have a smaller capacity.

Edited by Drew, 09 November 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#49 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

Do we know if RPMs will matter on the PS4?  On the PS3 you could use a solid state but because of internal limitations it didn't help.

Unless stated otherwise by Sony I would suggest waiting for someone else to bite the bullet and reporting back.

Edited by Niterider, 09 November 2013 - 08:28 PM.

PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#50 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,910 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

Do we know if RPMs will matter on the PS4?  On the PS3 you could use a solid state but because of internal limitations it didn't help.

Unless stated otherwise by Sony I would suggest waiting for someone else to bite the bullet and reporting back.

Traditional HDDs are so slow that they aren't going to be able to saturate even a SATA II interface, so the additional platter speed is always going to help. If you use an SSD, I believe that the PS4 has a SATA III interface and, as such, you'd be missing some of your potential bandwidth. This won't be an issue for traditional hard drives, hybrid or not.

Edited by Drew, 10 November 2013 - 12:37 AM.

#51 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

I just did a quick look around the net and it looks like all we know is that it's a SATA 2 hard drive that comes stock.  All that really tells us is that it's SATA 2 minimum, which is fine.  Solid states won't become large capacity storage option for a while and is already far faster than a 7200 RPM drive can perform.

I also did another quick look around the net, looks like SSD's actually did help the PS3.

PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#52 DualX

DualX

Great Job!

• Veteran
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

But not by much. I have a 7200 in my PS3 right now and it's more than worth it especially for the price. These games will not be built for SSDs in mind so just don't waste your money.

#53 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,910 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

If you have a PS4 game pre-ordered on Amazon, check your email (including junk folder). Amazon is doing a BOGOF deal on all PS4 launch games. Just got Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty for $60 bux.

You can also pre-order a game, wait for the code, cancel your pre-order and then apply it to a new one. Best deal so far on PS4 launch games.

#54 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yep. Had Killzone and Battlefield 4 pre-ordered and just got the code.  I got CoD: Ghosts for free.

#55 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,910 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

For those who would rather not deal with going to an actual store, and missed out on Amazon's BOGO offer, you can try to get in on their B2G1 deal on Tuesday. Details here.

Also, if you're going to do Target's deal, be sure to buy a few $1 pre-order cards in order to try and get the additional 30% off coupon (make sure you buy cards in separate checkouts for multiple receipts). You can return the cards for your money back after you get the coupon.

Edited by Drew, 10 November 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#56 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

I had got the idea about a hybrid drive from this tweet by Ben Kuchera but it looks like you're right about the 5400 RPM issue. Some of the people in the comments say that the 8GB MLC doesn't help that much loading from the drive and that you're better off with a 7200 RPM drive.

#57 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:39 AM

What a deal!

I had Bf4 coming with my console, was able to pick up Kz4 and Ghosts for $65. Now just have to decide what do do with them all. Was getting Killzone regardless, but its really tempting to just sell the other two for $100-120.

#58 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,841 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Cocopjojo
  • PSN:Cocopjojo
  • Steam:Cocopjojo

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

http://www.engadget....tion-4-details/

Some really cool stuff in here. Multiple party chat "lobbies" that you can swap between is awesome.

Dobule-tapping the PS button to swap to your last app will be really useful. I think the Xbone does this as well.

The "rarity" percentage next to trophies is a nice touch.

I'm also really excited about the streaming stuff on both consoles, I think it's going to really revolutionize gaming. More so than a lot of people realize.

#59 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,910 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

Being able to charge USB devices while the console is awesome. Normally I just leave my PS3 on to charge my phone and e-cig, but this is much nicer. I like it!

#60 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:42 PM

The USB charging is just one of those conveniences which make all the difference. It drives me nuts to have to turn on the 360 to charge my controller.

Hopefully you can switch between chat lobbies really fast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq