#21 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,679 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

Damn, and I was looking forward to 30+ people in titans spawn camping my team's base. This generation is ruined.

On a serious note, I am a little disappointed. 8v8 would've been a good max, that way if a bunch of us ever played together (because that happens anymore, amirite?!) we wouldn't have to worry as much about having to force somebody on the other team.

#22 Jironimo

Jironimo

XBOX ONE Apologist

• Admin
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

Saw a post on Gaf from the dev and they made a good point; the Titans can operate independently from the Pilot so theoretically you could have 12 pilots and 12 Titans plus the bots throughout the map. Anymore than 6 per team might have gotten too crowded considering there's 24+ targets on the map.

#23 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

You actually believe this? Are you serious?

I think it's a strong possibility.  Gaming PR's lie big time, especially if they're associated with EA.  To take anything they say at face value is foolish.

I'm not dismissing that it was a balance choice, but I do have doubts.  24 "targets" on a map does not seem like it would cause a balance issue unless the maps were small, which is potentially rooted in resource management.

Edited by Niterider, 09 January 2014 - 05:41 PM.

PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#24 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

I think it's a strong possibility.  Gaming PR's lie big time, especially if they're associated with EA.  To take anything they say at face value is foolish.

I'm not dismissing that it was a balance choice, but I do have doubts.  24 "targets" on a map does not seem like it would cause a balance issue unless the maps were small, which is potentially rooted in resource management.

It has nothing to do with PR. It has to do with the fact there's literally no reason to believe it's a capability constraint over a design choice.

Edited by Nightshade, 10 January 2014 - 07:00 AM.

#25 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

It has nothing to do with PR. It has to do with the fact there's literally no reason to believe it's a capability constraint over a design choice.

However, considering we know Respawn was already complaining about the low memory on the Xbox One, there's a good chance the decision was resource driven and they're using balance as a cover.

Quote from Polygon:

"The higher the player count, the more uncomfortable the game gets," he said. "Unlike in most games where you can sit there and guard the two ways in, in Titanfall the guy can come in through the window right behind you, he can come from the window to your left, he can come from straight ahead, he can come in from the stairway and he can come in from the doorway, or whatever. Essentially there are five directions you can get killed from and the higher that player count, the more likely you are to get killed from behind and the more difficult it is to kind of manage your surroundings."  

That's what happens when the maps are too small.

Also, I'm not going to believe that any decision from the makers behind the most broken, unbalanced AAA game to date is in the best interest of balance.  History has shown that the best way to balance a game is to get it into the hands of players and let them do the balancing for you.  To restrict the player count so low for balance is ludicrous, especially when the feedback they receive comes from play testers who have to be explained why the delicious controller is something they shouldn't put in their mouth.

Edited by Niterider, 10 January 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#26 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

A video leaked onto Youtube a few days ago with recorded multiplayer footage.  I'm not really sure what my opinion is now.  It kinda felt like Halo and Call of Duty at the same time.  The Halo feel comes from the large maps compared to the player count.  The CoD feel comes from the ease to kill enemies and a map which seemed to function the same as CoD.

Titans are pretty much what you would expect; they're big, they deal a lot of damage and can take quite a bit.  I'm not sure what triggered Titans to spawn but the game gives the player advanced warnings before a Titanfall.

The negatives is that the NPC's didn't seem to do anything and that the maps seemed very bare.  I know that's unthinkable with this 40+ potential AI's on the map, but it really did feel like it.  The player was only encountering a foe once every minute or so unless they were in a hot zone.  I don't see how 6v6 is an optimal player count; it seems like at least that map was designed for 8v8.  This means my previous opinions stand.  Either the decision was resource management based, the play testers are morons, or the balancer is a inept.

#27 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:51 AM

A video leaked onto Youtube a few days ago with recorded multiplayer footage.  I'm not really sure what my opinion is now.  It kinda felt like Halo and Call of Duty at the same time.  The Halo feel comes from the large maps compared to the player count.  The CoD feel comes from the ease to kill enemies and a map which seemed to function the same as CoD.

Titans are pretty much what you would expect; they're big, they deal a lot of damage and can take quite a bit.  I'm not sure what triggered Titans to spawn but the game gives the player advanced warnings before a Titanfall.

The negatives is that the NPC's didn't seem to do anything and that the maps seemed very bare.  I know that's unthinkable with this 40+ potential AI's on the map, but it really did feel like it.  The player was only encountering a foe once every minute or so unless they were in a hot zone.  I don't see how 6v6 is an optimal player count; it seems like at least that map was designed for 8v8.  This means my previous opinions stand.  Either the decision was resource management based, the play testers are morons, or the balancer is a inept.

I was just watching some gameplay.

Gunplay is pretty much identical to CoD, which isn't the worst thing in the world. I don't think people are as tired of the gunplay as they are of the series as a whole, and Titanfall is changing things up just enough.

Quite a few people have said that the bots aren't showing much intelligence so maybe that is part of it. Other thing is, a lot of people aren't used to the quick movement speed and aren't moving around as quick as they might. Regardless, I don't think we can draw any definitive conclusions from these early vids.

I can't see much in the engine that would make this a resource-based decision, and I'm saying that despite that after Bf4's launch fiasco I'm not one to give Ea much leeway. Hell, it is an updated Source engine. That is not demanding.

Edited by phreak, 20 January 2014 - 01:51 AM.

#28 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:45 AM

The biggest thing I've taken away from this gameplay footage is how uninteresting the maps are. This is a sci-fi game, which opens it up to a lot more potential, but we're still playing shooty bangman in apartment buildings, garages, and parking lots full of shipping crates and destroyed cars. They look exactly like Call of Duty maps except the buildings have been positioned slightly further apart so that the fatbots can run around. The movement, the (very Call of Duty-looking) gunplay, and the dynamics between pilots and titans all look great, but these environments are nothing we haven't seen before. Hopefully there are other maps with more imaginative settings.

#29 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

Other thing is, a lot of people aren't used to the quick movement speed and aren't moving around as quick as they might. Regardless, I don't think we can draw any definitive conclusions from these early vids.

I can't see much in the engine that would make this a resource-based decision, and I'm saying that despite that after Bf4's launch fiasco I'm not one to give Ea much leeway. Hell, it is an updated Source engine. That is not demanding.

Like I said before, playtesters who suck should not be balancing games.  And the "new game/faster pace" doesn't hold up because it's very so similar in that regard to Call of Duty.

And yes, with Source it's obviously not a demanding engine nor is it a graphical showpiece.  Still, why not limit the player count in various playlists?  These are the same guys who let you play 8 player FFA on Rust in MW2.  I don't buy it.

From what I've seen so far, I am pleased that the game's Alpha seems to be in a very functional and stable state.  That's already far ahead of many of EA's launches last year.

#30 Jironimo

Jironimo

XBOX ONE Apologist

• Admin
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:46 AM

I heard from a friend that this game is actually very, very fun. Apparently the movement mechanics are amazing; running on walls, double jumping, and clambering which are all flawless.

#31 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

Bummed I didn't get in to the alpha. Would be nice if they launched a beta in the next week or two, though I doubt it. From the leaked videos that are floating around, the game looks pretty fun.

#32 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

Indeed it does.

#33 KrAzY WiSh

KrAzY WiSh
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

I went and pre ordered the titan fall controller along with the game last week. My partner said it was a waste of money but I justified it as being sensible to have a spare controller around, just in case. :)
GT: KrAzY WiSh

#34 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

I just preordered off of Green Man Gaming.  They had a 25% off voucher and I had $2 in credit with them for spending $15 them back in December.

#35 KrAzY WiSh

KrAzY WiSh
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Are you getting it on pc?

Also xbox.uk announced a beta coming soon.
GT: KrAzY WiSh

#36 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 2,975 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

Are you getting it on pc?

Also xbox.uk announced a beta coming soon.

I think GMG only does PC.  Not 100 on that, tho.

#37 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

https://twitter.com/...733968977715200

(pc version will have aim assist if you use controller)

wow. such console.

I guess I won't need a One after all.

#38 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

GMG is PC downloadable content only.  I'll probably only get an Origin key.  The nice thing is that under some circumstances (like if the moon turns purple, haven't figured it out how it works yet) you can actually sell back your digital content.

Have fun with your controller!  You're on red team.  I'll be on blue.

#39 Jironimo

Jironimo

XBOX ONE Apologist

• Admin
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:31 AM

Blue team suckas. 

Yeah, they confirmed on twitter there'll be a beta. Should be cool for those of us looking to play something serious on the One.

#40 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

Blue team suckas. 

Yeah, they confirmed on twitter there'll be a beta. Should be cool for those of us looking to play something serious on the One.

Agreed, I haven't turned mine on in weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq