• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#1 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:53 PM

The first couple of reviews are coming out for Half Life 2, which is set to be out this week on the 15th. IGN gave it a 9.4. This is what they say in the summary:

So...2004's game of the year on IGN comes to Xbox, and though it's a year old, it's still an amazing, beautifully crafted, and must-have Xbox title. What's there not to like about it? It is one year old. if you played it on PC, then you have already experienced this game. The high resolution graphics fade a bit on Xbox, but the game is nonetheless beautiful compared to any Xbox game. And the control is not quite as pixel-perfect as the PC version is, but Valve has done a superb job of balancing the controls and making Half-life 2 feel smooth and loveable on Xbox.

Having said all that, if you don't have a billion dollar PC set-up and you're itching for this fall's knockout title? Um, yeah: Half-Life 2 is it. Get it, own it, and you will be a happy, enriched person. If you haven't played the PC version, then there really isn't much to say except get it. The story itself is worthy of great praise, but the way it's implemented into the gameplay, along with amazingly fresh missions that all blend into one another, make this easily one of the best games on Xbox this year, if not the best.

OXM UK gave it a 9.8, so hopefully the team at valve got the conversion right. If anyone gets to try this one out post your reviews here. I'll be at least renting this at the Blockbuster this week, so I'll let you know what I think.

#2 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:13 PM

I'll rent it... Maybe this weekend or over Thanksgiving break.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#3 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:37 PM

Too bad it doesn't include Counter Strike: Source, because if it did, I would definitely rent it.

#4 Guest_Niterider04_*

Guest_Niterider04_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:03 PM

Counter Strike: Source is the same game as Counterstrike, they just put it on the Source engine. Since they have to downgrade the graphics and the physics engine really isn't needed for Counterstrike, you might as well buy the Xbox Counterstrike.

#5 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:06 PM

hmm, maybe I will. So, take that.

#6 Guest_Niterider04_*

Guest_Niterider04_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:32 PM

What if we own it for PC?

#7 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 04:44 PM

Counter Strike: Source is the same game as Counterstrike, they just put it on the Source engine. Since they have to downgrade the graphics and the physics engine really isn't needed for Counterstrike, you might as well buy the Xbox Counterstrike.

I don't care, it would still be fucking awesome.

Since they have to downgrade the graphics and the physics engine really isn't needed for Counterstrike, you might as well buy the Xbox Counterstrike.

Um... no.

#8 Guest_Niterider04_*

Guest_Niterider04_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:50 PM

Read a few reviews on this. Apparently, the Xbox Port sucks. The physics and the character features remain the same (which is what made the original great) but two aspects of the port ruin it. The first is the graphics. They have been so watered down that it doesn't even look like the same game. The second is the massive amoung of loading. Supposedly, during vehicle levels, you will actually go for about 40 seconds of gameplay followed by 20 seconds of loading. It's so bad, that the article claims that if you must try this game, then you should mow lawns until you have enough money to get a PC capable of running Half Life 2.

#9 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:24 PM

lol, the loading's not that bad. I rented it and have been playing it. I think this game was overrated because of the great physics and graphics on the PC, but really I haven't enjoyed the gameplay that much, and without the graphics this game just isn't that good- Halo > Half Life.

#10 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:50 AM

Yeah but that's because Halo is a console designed game and vice versa.
don't tread on me

#11 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:38 PM

So finally what we've all been expecting, Half-Life 2 on the 360. Never made much sense to me why they even released it on the xbox, but at least now we can hopefully experience it as it was meant on a much more powerful console.

Half-Life 2 confirmed for Xbox 360, PS3

Speaking at EA's annual summer press event, Valve's Gabe Newell revealed that Half-Life 2 would be headed to the Xbox 360 and PS3, bolstered with extra content and presumably, plenty of opportunities to kill people with high velocity toilets. The full console package will be comprised of Half-Life 2, Episode One, Episode Two, Team Fortress 2 (it still exists!) and an entirely new title, Portal.

According to Gamespot, Team Fortress 2 now sports a cartoonish art style and a 60's spy feel akin to that of Monolith's No One Lives Forever -- certainly a description you'd never expect to be about a game from Valve. The developer is also trying new things with Portal, which incorporates a rather imaginative gun and encourages you to blast Prey-like portals into floors and walls for all manner of object shifting, puzzle solving hijinx.

The console versions of Half-Life 2 (along with all the extra goodies) are expected to launch alongside the PC game's second episodic expansion. Barring unforeseen code thefts and other delays, that means they'll be out by the end of the year.

I don't know what the hell Team Fortress is, or if it's any good, but apparently that's the multiplayer component. It's a damn shame they didn't include Counter-Strike Source, but that'll probably be an entirely different title on consoles.

#12 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:22 AM

IIRC, Team Fortress was a pretty legendary HL1 game and the sequal was legendary for having a Duke Nukem Forever style release schedual. I don't really care though, I loved No One Lives Forever so hopefully it is similar to that.

#13 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:57 PM

Posted Image

#14 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:34 AM

Portal trailer.

I need new pants! Stat!

#15 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:49 AM

Most impressive.

#16 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:38 AM

That looks freaking frustrating, but it also looks like it might be the coolest game ever. I would buy that seperately if I had to. This compilation might have just passed Gears of War on my most anticipated list.

#17 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

To tell everyone the truth, I've never taken a run through Half-Life 2. Don't think I've never wanted to play the game, I just don't do any gaming on my PC. This game is more than just some fun, it becomes a good reference for succesful technique in animation, modeling, physics, etc. If they can get everything into one disc, I'll gladly pay for it. But I will not pay for any of it if they try and do episodic content via marketplace.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#18 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:18 PM

I think the characters for TF2 look cool... but not cool enough to just use the Half Life 2 engine.
don't tread on me

#19 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:33 PM

I might be buying this now...

#20 Blaze

Blaze