Photo

The Next Halo

Halo 2

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think the next Halo game will be? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think the next Halo game will be?

1. Halo 2.3 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Halo 2.5 (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Halo 3.0 (13 votes [61.90%])

Percentage of vote: 61.90%

4. Halo 2 on Xbox 360 (backward compatibility) (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:20 AM

4. The Truth

The Internet - which is short for ?rumor mill? - has been speculating on this year?s E3 since last year?s E3. According to the ?Net, Halo 2.3 will be released on the current-gen to set up the story behind Halo 2.5 on the next-gen, the Xbox 360 has more processing power than a Sun Microsystems workstation, and you won?t need an IT degree to get your PlayStation 3 online. Frankly, we can?t wait for the truth. We already know the actual specs of the Xbox 360 (although you?ll need to wait until Thursday night), but we won?t really know about Microsoft?s real plans and the software coming up the pipeline until the show actually starts. SO, before you go believing another thread such as: ?OMG! THE XBOX 360 HAS AN ACTIVE CAMOUFLAGING SYSTEM!?, wait for the truth to come out after the show starts. The press releases can?t start flying soon enough.

-TXB

Obviously last year during November there were a lot of rumors about Halo: Combat Evolved being re-released with an online component among other things and was being called Halo 1.5, and to be released on November 28th, "Black Friday."

This never happened, as we now know that Bungie was working feverishly to get Halo 2 out in store by their deadline of November 9th, 2004.

The rumor was at first that because Microsoft could not release Halo 3 with the Xbox 360's launch in November 2005, that there would be a secondary release sometime in the course of 2005-2006 called Halo 2.5. Speculation and rumors abounded on whether or not this would occur at all, and what it would include (from possibly Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2, both with online multiplayer and upgraded graphics for Xbox 360 or even simply a multiplayer only game tied in with the story of Halo 2). None of these have been confirmed, but for the most part they remain elusively inconsistent with Bungie and Microsoft's stance and projection.

Now there are rumors about Halo 2.3 (covering the single-player elements left unfinished in Halo 2) being released for the Xbox by the end of the year and shortly thereafter Halo 2.5 for the Xbox 360. I'm not certain why they would address the Halo story in this way, or why anyone would think they would release such a set, but this is currently another rumor. A lot hinges on the Xbox 360's ability to be backwards compatible, which may be revealed tomorrow on the MTV program...

We of course are looking forward to late 2006 Halo 3 release to match up with PlayStation 3's launch. This appears to be the most reasonable, but the question remains, what do you think Bungie will do in the mean time?

Take into consideration this information from J. Allard of Microsoft when asked a specific question at GDC earlier this year:

What about those kick ass Halo 2 players who wanna be able to continue their reputation on the next Xbox? What if they can?t play that game?

J. Allard: We?ll have something for those kick ass Halo 2 players on the next system.

So you?ll be able to play Halo 2 on Xbox 2?

J. Allard: We?ll have something for those kick ass Halo 2 players in the next generation.

Is the next generation Xbox going to be backwards compatible or not?

J. Allard: You keep asking a question I?m not going to answer Geoff. Does that satisfy you?

#2 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:33 AM

I'm hoping for a Halo 2.5 with improved graphics from the Xbox version.... I don't know why since the Xbox version's graphics were pretty good anyways. Looking at that quote though, I think that there must be something special about Halo on the Xbox 360, it can't just be the backwards compatability can it? Maybe it's something to do with that rumor that the Xbox 360s hard drive would include Halo 2 pre-installed.

#3 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:10 PM

I want both Halo and Halo 2 pre-installed on the Xbox 360 with updated graphics and multiplayer. Then I would be content with waiting a few years for Halo 3.

#4 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 02:14 PM

No way it's going to come pre-installed. I just hope I can afford all this shit it's gonna cost me thousands to keep up with everything. I'm one of those people that buys all the systems for that one tight game.
don't tread on me

#5 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:59 PM

He's not kidding- he even has a freakin' Gamecube.... what a n00b. Ha, purple funbox. Hey, can I borrow it this summer, so I can play Zelda? I definitely don't think that there will be a Halo 2.3 or 2.5- that's not Bungie's style, Halo 3- don't think so because Bungie will have decided that they need an entirely new engine... that leaves two choices, backwards compatibility, or Halo 2.1- basically the same game, with the same art, but updated so that it runs on the new system's hardware... hell, it may even be multiplayer only.

• Guests

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:15 PM

He's not kidding- he even has a freakin' Gamecube.... what a n00b.  Ha, purple funbox.  Hey, can I borrow it this summer, so I can play Zelda?

I definitely don't think that there will be a Halo 2.3 or 2.5- that's not Bungie's style, Halo 3- don't think so because Bungie will have decided that they need an entirely new engine... that leaves two choices, backwards compatibility, or Halo 2.1- basically the same game, with the same art, but updated so that it runs on the new system's hardware... hell, it may even be multiplayer only.

Hey, I love the gamecube...

#7 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:34 PM

Not after that kind of ridicule.... bastard.
don't tread on me

#8 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:40 PM

This was in a magazine."Peter Moore didn't want to talk about neither the Halo-series, nor about Bungie when we met him, but he was pleased to tell us that a new Halo-game was underway. He even said it was no secret. Expect part three sometime this year." I posted the things from the magazine in the 360 thread.

#9 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:11 PM

I'm skeptical about the time frame that's being quoted here. One year from the date of the quote or this year, meaning by the launch of the Xbox 360, because the Xbox 360 will be released at the end of the year (Nov/Dec). Although they've had the dev kits for the Xbox 360 since spring of last year (a full year ago) and though they've officially doubled the staff for Bungie, it just seems unlikely that Halo 3 will be released in 2005 for the following reasons: 1) They just invested a ton of money into Halo 2 and now they're investing money into the downloadable content, which should hold most gamers for at least till next summer. 2) They already have a marketable launch title, which has been confirmed to not be Halo 3 by sources close to Bungie, namely Frank O'Connor's friends at OXM. If it is no secret, like Moore is claiming, than I find it hard to believe that OXM would claim that Halo 3 would most likely be released on the PS3's release date. 3) Strategically, the notion of them releasing Halo 3 on the PS3's launch date is a massive blow, especially since the gaming community will already be saturated with Xbox 360's and the price will more than likely be down to $199 at that time. 4) Although Microsoft is beefing up Bungie's staff to twice it's previous size and most of the complicated planning behind Halo 3 may be done (now its mainly grunt work, I'd assume since the engine has been built for several years), I'm seriously not thinking that they have enough time to fully prepare this puppy for a 2005 launch. Think of their delays from the end of 2003 to the end of 2004 on Halo 2. 5) There's no word of Bungie being at E3 2005, which unless this is a secret, according to Moore it is not, then we would at least here rumors about it. There's nothing, and even Frankie has advised they're not going to be attending. I guess well just have to wait and see.

#10 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:31 PM

What voc said. AND I love Bungie for not announcing something that won't be out till much later, E3 2003 was a mistake for them and you shouldn't announce something at E3 until the year it comes out. I think they even had a Halo 2 announcement trailer at E3 2002 a full 2.5 years before H2 came out, that's bullshit. BTW, I wouldn't put to much weight on what that guy you linked has to say Fallen. I'm throwing the bullshit flag right now, mark my words, he's obviously not a journalist and can't be trusted since he can't even spell and use good grammar. People who don't use good grammar and don't spell correctly can't be trusted.

#11 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:40 PM

I agree with you Ivan- however, remember the last time you threw the bullshit flag? I should have bet you a "Halo dollar" because the maps turned out exactly how the attendees of the Luke Timmons talk described them... I win! The grammar belongs to a typical forum n00b, not the writer of the article, since the article is in Danish or Belgian or some sort of strange foreign language. His grammar is bad because he (the forum n00b, not the writer) probably speaks English as a second language. However, in this case, I don't believe him.

#12 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:43 PM

remember the last time you threw the bullshit flag?  I should have bet you a "Halo dollar" because the maps turned out exactly how the attendees of the Luke Timmons talk described them...

I've been known to incorrectly through the bullshit flag about 1% of the time. oh well.

#13 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:56 PM

Trust me Ivan I don?t believe everything I hear on the Internet or in that magazine. Even though from what I read real quick is right on line with what has been announced. I personally don?t see Halo 3 coming out this year though.

#14 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:53 AM

Its "halo buck", not "halo dollar", and Ivan already owes me one because matchmaking bumps you within six, not five. Ha.
don't tread on me

#15 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:48 AM

I think there's evidence to suggest both, just more evidence suggests that we're not going to see a 2005 launch for Halo 3. I don't think we'll necessarily see backward compatibility either. I think if they release Halo 2 for the Xbox 360 (all 20 multiplayer maps and some minor improvements), this will cover us for a short period of time. I dig the pre-installed notion, as most people won't want to plunk more money for Halo 2 if they've already purchased the game for the original Xbox. Seeing Halo: Combat Evolved is a pipe dream. That game is dead and gone until it resurfaces a few years from now as a classic.

• Guests

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:53 AM

I really don't care what it is. i can only say one thing , I hope it's so cool that it bends cool over a table and rapes it for a whole year.

#17 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:59 AM

Now that the 360 has been unveiled, are you guys going to unveil Halo 3 for Xbox 360?

We're quite some time away from announcing what our next game is and for which platform. We'll tell you when we're ready to talk about it. The 360 looks sweet though. I've seen one in real life and it looks even better up close. Personally, I am very excited to have a new thing to attach to my HDTV. And the controller rules. Obvious MS bias aside, I can tell you it's one of my favorite controllers ever. Wires suck. Anyone who's used a Wavebird can tell you that. And now the subject has changed again.

These sort of comments lead me to be believe 2006 is more appropriate with an E3 unveiling then.

#18 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:58 AM

It looks like Bill Gates has confirmed himself that Halo 3 will be launching around the release of the ps3, whenever that is.

#19 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:07 PM

Let's count the ways the Xbox 360 has already gotten the upper hand on Sony: ? Square Enix with Microsoft now ? Tech specs to make a constipated cow shit itself ? Halo 3 supposedly released right alongside the PS3 ? Online service straight out of the box, both free and paid ? Standard wireless controllers (Sony may have this though) ? You can turn off your Xbox 360 without even getting off the couch, ushering in a new era of laziness. Hell yes.

• Guests

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:13 PM

SE is not solely with Microsoft though. I read an article today about SE pledging to develop more for the DS/Revolution as well becuase they liked Nintendo's online plan. I think SE will be a cross-platform developer, hopefully making MMORPGs playble on all 4 (PC too).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq