Photo

WiFi Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:50 PM

I've got a desktop in my room that won't connect to my wireless Internet. I have an SMC 2662W EZ connect adapter thingy. On the connections window it shows that the LAN is not connected and there is another that something about 1349 (I think). I lave tried downloading the driver but it didnt work. ANy help is appreciated. I can provide further information if required. Thanks Guys.

#2 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:44 PM

I noticed this USB adapter is only 802.11b, are you sure your network is setup to take b. Have you been able to get your computer to recognize the adapter when it's plugged in? What are you using to search for your wireless network?

#3 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:03 PM

Normally with these type of devices you would install the initial drivers from a CD that came with it. Did yours come with one?

#4 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:44 AM

I noticed this USB adapter is only 802.11b, are you sure your network is setup to take b. Have you been able to get your computer to recognize the adapter when it's plugged in? What are you using to search for your wireless network?

I have no clue what B means... When I unplug/plugin the thing there is a beap from the computer. But besides the beap, I have noticed nothing else form the computer. The Adapter does not show up on the networks page.

Normally with these type of devices you would install the initial drivers from a CD that came with it. Did yours come with one?

The adapter is like 4 or 5 years old... so I have no clue where the CD is. I downloaded one from the internet, but I'm not sure if I did it right. I installed it but nothing happened. I dont think I did it right though.

#5 zenbaltz

zenbaltz

axisZENalive

• 199 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:03 AM

If its 4 to 5 years old it may not have B technology...

#6 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

Its at least 3 years old. Mabey not quite 5, I'm not sure. So where would you guys reccomend I download the driver from?

#7 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 637 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

Get the drivers from the manufacturers web page.

#8 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

If you have access to the router webpage, you may be able to turn on 802.11b. My router supports 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g, so I can either switch between the settings or have a combination of wireless frequencies turned on. I don't know what router you have though so I can't really help. PS If you don't know how to access your router's settings page then setting up wireless for your adapter may be more trouble than it's worth. Especially if you go through all that and eventually find out that your router doesn't even support 802.11b. PPS I thought 802.11g was backwards compatable... shouldn't his router pick up his adapter with no trouble? PPPS My brother had an adapter like that for his computer, but the USB connection went alittle funky. If you wobbled it, it would connect then disconnect. I got a new adapter with a new router at some point and it started working perfectly. Maybe it's just your adapter that's gone a bit weird. If you have another one you can test with, that would probably be a good idea. I'm not suggesting you just go out and buy a new adapter though...

#9 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

Alright, so I finally got unlazy and decided to post some specs.

This is the Wireless Router that I have : Wireless G Router with SRX200

This is the Adapter that I am trying to use with my desktop computer upstaris in my room: SMC EZ Connect 11 Mbps Wireless USB Adapter SMC2662W

Im not sure if this helps but I hope it does. Do I need to download the driver software for it and install it on the computer?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq