LatinoReview's "Fall Of Reach" Movie Info

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:46 PM

This has been out for a while now, but today it got real.

On August 4th, LatinoReview posted an article, stating:

The HALO movie in it’s current incarnation, the one that we all know publicly about, the one involving FOX/UNIVERSAL, Peter Jackson, Neil Blomkamp, with the script by Garland and rewritten by DB Weiss…

…is completely dead in Hollywood. That project will never happen. Everybody involved has already moved on.

But, then we discovered and broke that screenwriter Stuart Beattie decided to do something about it. He started over fresh and wrote a spec script based on the best selling novel HALO: FALL OF REACH.

Halo: The Fall of Reach is a 2001 science fiction novel by Eric Nylund based on the Halo series of video games and acts as a prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, the first game in the series. It is set in the fictional Halo universe, taking place in the 26th century across several planets and locations. The novel details the events which led up to the game and explains the origins of the SPARTAN II super soldiers, narrating the story of the series protagonist, the Master Chief.

Stuart Beattie’s script is very real and out there floating around in Hollywood folks. How real? Well, there has been concept art made by conceptual artist Kasra Farahani (WOLF MAN, HANCOCK, SPIDERMAN 3) for certain scenes of the new HALO: FALL OF REACH script as part of an eventual presentation to Microsoft. From what I’m told, the presentation is very cool!

There are some big time professionals in Hollywood who are also Halo fans that want to see the movie made. I scored five pieces of the concept art and will be releasing them on a weekly basis for the next five weeks. From what I know, this particular scene takes place halfway through the proposed script and yes that’s Master Chief in the middle.

Here's the first pic:

Posted Image

Kind of weird looking. It reminds me of that B.net BWU header with the flying cartoon Spartans.

And the second picture was released today, along with a screencap of a C&D letter from Microsoft. Here's the picture:

Posted Image

#2 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

Spiderman 3? Ew.

#3 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:58 PM

I really can't stand the idea of having "Fall of Reach" be the first film in a trilogy which is supposed to represent the subject matter from the games. At least we see that the owner of the property doesn't care for this attempt to strong arm them into making a Halo film like this - Mayimbe might think he's being funny, but this "exclusive" concept art nonsense is working against Stuart Beattie's attempt to make the film. Someone needs to sit down and pen a script based on the events of Halo: Combat Evolved - both those experienced in the game and those understood within the context of Halo 2 and Halo 3.

#4 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:15 PM

I disagree, voc. I really think that the films can do just as well, if not better, by starting out with the events from The Fall of Reach. The movies are obviously going to have to be more engaging from a narrative standpoint, as opposed to the games which can ride the rails of enjoyable gameplay. And in order to really appreciate the Chief and his unique past, I think that the events from The Fall of Reach need to be shown. I'd hate to see the Chief's entire past forced into a series of flashbacks or something like that - his abduction from his parents, his forced enrollment into the military, and the training he was forced to endure, as well as the bond he formed with his fellow Spartans, and the trials and tribulations he faced as as a leader, especially his seeing his Spartans' genetic enhancements as a "test" that he failed. And then his eventual contact with the Covenant and subsequent separation from his team. Everything that makes up his character was formed during the events of The Fall of Reach and I think that in a story-driven Halo experience, you have to experience those things if you want to tell the whole story.

#5 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

I disagree, voc. I really think that the films can do just as well, if not better, by starting out with the events from The Fall of Reach. The movies are obviously going to have to be more engaging from a narrative standpoint, as opposed to the games which can ride the rails of enjoyable gameplay. And in order to really appreciate the Chief and his unique past, I think that the events from The Fall of Reach need to be shown. I'd hate to see the Chief's entire past forced into a series of flashbacks or something like that - his abduction from his parents, his forced enrollment into the military, and the training he was forced to endure, as well as the bond he formed with his fellow Spartans, and the trials and tribulations he faced as as a leader, especially his seeing his Spartans' genetic enhancements as a "test" that he failed. And then his eventual contact with the Covenant and subsequent separation from his team. Everything that makes up his character was formed during the events of The Fall of Reach and I think that in a story-driven Halo experience, you have to experience those things if you want to tell the whole story.

You can just watch Band of Brothers and get 99% of what you just said.

#6 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:24 PM

I have watched Band of Brothers. It's awesome.

#7 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:14 AM

Everything that makes up his character was formed during the events of The Fall of Reach and I think that in a story-driven Halo experience, you have to experience those things if you want to tell the whole story.

Except for the reality that none of those events have any bearing on the story of Halo, I agree with you.

Look, I'm not naive to how clever it would be to have a film about the events depicted in The Fall of Reach, but that being said, it's not related to the story of Halo in anything but a cursory sense. The story of Halo isn't about kids being trained to be Spartans and it isn't about the "What's going to work? Teamwork!" concepts presented in films like Band of Brothers - I saw it, it was good, but yeah, couldn't be more unrelated to what we're talking about. The story of Halo is about the Chief, about Cortana, about our relationship to the Forerunners, about the Covenant and about, most of all, the Halo installations. I don't want them to spend 45 minutes with adolescent John trying to find his way in the world as a leader - playing out like some sort of Smallville episode - when that has no bearing at all on the story at large.

I find the story of Halo extremely compelling without any novelizations, to be quite honest, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that even a moderate writer could pen something powerful, emotional and impressive covering the events of the first game, Halo: Combat Evolved, while still integrating story elements which would intensify and suprise longtime fans. Sure, The Fall of Reach works as a backstory for the Chief, but that's not who he is or his relationship to the concepts which are presented in the trilogy, which should be viewed as one coherent system of events.

I'm not entirely sure where this love for The Fall of Reach springs from, but it's increasingly strange every time I see someone argue that it would be a better film to start out in a story's backstory rather than in the actual story itself. It's almost like the the defenders have never seen Star Wars or Lord of the Rings before or something. Why do people want to shoehorn these events into the very disparate story of the Halo trilogy is utterly and completely beyond me.

HEATED RANT COMPLETE! :tongue:

#8 NeuralLotus

NeuralLotus
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:58 PM

This is actually making me more apprehensive about a Halo movie. The script is said to be based off of "The Fall of Reach", but the concept art shows it straying from the story, in minor ways, but ways that give evidence of the story being changed. The first piece shows a group of Spartans in space near the Pillar of Autumn, since there is more than one it can be assumed that this is during the Battle of Reach and they are headed to the UNSC Circumference. The Spartans took two dropships, one to the surface of reach and one to the UNSC Circumference. So, this piece of concept art is, assuming it is depicting to situation I mentioned, showing the situation incorrectly. The second piece of concept art is also at fault, assuming it is depicting the obstacle course that the Spartan-II's trained on on Reach. They did get the part right about them ringing a bell, but the basket that John?s team used isn?t there. It just doesn?t look much like how it was described in the book, in the book it seemed more like a single structure with one trial, that being reaching the bell. This piece of concept art seems more like a lot of different obstacles with the last one being one where they try to ring a bell.

#9 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

This is actually making me more apprehensive about a Halo movie. The script is said to be based off of "The Fall of Reach", but the concept art shows it straying from the story, in minor ways, but ways that give evidence of the story being changed. The first piece shows a group of Spartans in space near the Pillar of Autumn, since there is more than one it can be assumed that this is during the Battle of Reach and they are headed to the UNSC Circumference. The Spartans took two dropships, one to the surface of reach and one to the UNSC Circumference. So, this piece of concept art is, assuming it is depicting to situation I mentioned, showing the situation incorrectly. The second piece of concept art is also at fault, assuming it is depicting the obstacle course that the Spartan-II's trained on on Reach. They did get the part right about them ringing a bell, but the basket that John?s team used isn?t there. It just doesn?t look much like how it was described in the book, in the book it seemed more like a single structure with one trial, that being reaching the bell. This piece of concept art seems more like a lot of different obstacles with the last one being one where they try to ring a bell.

If you're expecting a page by page retelling of Fall of Reach you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. This is the way it goes for films based off of games and books. Parts of the story will have to be altered or cut out completely in order to fit into the film's budget and length. If every single minute detail of the book were to included it would have to be split into at least two films. All that matters is that the movie tells the same story the book tells, which is that of Master Chief's beginnings.

#10 NeuralLotus

NeuralLotus
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:48 PM

If you're expecting a page by page retelling of Fall of Reach you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. This is the way it goes for films based off of games and books. Parts of the story will have to be altered or cut out completely in order to fit into the film's budget and length. If every single minute detail of the book were to included it would have to be split into at least two films. All that matters is that the movie tells the same story the book tells, which is that of Master Chief's beginnings.

I'm not expecting a complete retelling with every single detail the same, I was just saying that since it was changed that they might change it more than that, so much that it wouldn't be very good, and at the same time pointing out some differences. Hopefully that doesn't happen though, hopefully, if it is ever made it will be up to the caliber of the Halo books, video games, comsicbooks, and etc. that has been released so far. I was just mainly pointing out some differences. Also, this made me barely any more apprehensive about than I already was, and I am kind of apprehensive about, but since Bungie would probably supervise it, I'm not too worried. I mainly hope they stick to the main story and make it good, since even if they do stick to the main story, it wouldn't necessarily be a good film.

Edited by NeuralLotus, 12 August 2008 - 06:49 PM.

#11 Rtas 'Vadum

Rtas 'Vadum

Shadow of Intent

• 51 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:00 PM

Posted Image

Anyone else think that the notion of a Spartan holding his hands up in surrender makes about as much sense as a frog sprouting wings and spitting fire on the cats that betrayed his ancestors?

.... Yeah me either.

#12 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

Yeah, that picture is really dumb.

#13 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:14 PM

Anyone else think that the notion of a Spartan holding his hands up in surrender makes about as much sense as a frog sprouting wings and spitting fire on the cats that betrayed his ancestors?

.... Yeah me either.

:blink:
While I may not understand at all what you said here, I think I agree with the sentiment.

#14 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:42 PM

Where's the spartan that holds up his hands? :mellow: EDIT: I think I see the spartan, but he looks like he's holding up one hand though.

Edited by Merguson, 18 August 2008 - 04:45 PM.

#15 Rtas 'Vadum

Rtas 'Vadum

Shadow of Intent

• 51 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:34 PM

:blink:
While I may not understand at all what you said here, I think I agree with the sentiment.

That was the point. :wink:

Where's the spartan that holds up his hands? :mellow:

EDIT: I think I see the spartan, but he looks like he's holding up one hand though.

On the right side of the image, holding his hands up because of the Elite dual wielding a plasma rifle and a sword.

EDIT: Also, all of the Elites are simply copied from Halo 2, 3, and Wars images. Extra lame.

Edited by Rtas 'Vadum, 18 August 2008 - 05:36 PM.

#16 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:52 PM

EDIT: Also, all of the Elites are simply copied from Halo 2, 3, and Wars images. Extra lame.

Well, it is uncommissioned concept art.

#17 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

Anyone else think that the notion of a Spartan holding his hands up in surrender...

That's because they're twelve years old or something. Yeah, this is definitely the type of story I'd want the world to discover Halo through. Nothing spells awesome like seeing superheroes whose balls have yet to drop get worked into submission.

For me, this is inarguable. The best way to present Halo to the world is the way it was done in 2001. Pull that monster out of the freezer and let him loose on any unfortunate alien bastard who crosses his path.

#18 NeuralLotus

NeuralLotus
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:32 AM

Posted Image

.... Yeah me either.

As I was saying, this concept art is making me more apprehensive about the movie than I was before. But since it is uncommissioned, it doesn't make me worry that much, and instead of going into a long thing about what I think and being even more accurate than in my last post in this thread, I'm just going to say look at my last post in this thread.

P.S. I know this post is a pretty roundabout way of restating what I already said, I can't think of a better way to say right now. I've Been having trouble writing well in general lately.

#19 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:00 PM

I thank the heavens that bungie found a way to stop the movie from going forward. It was, is, and always will be a bad idea.

#20 NeuralLotus

NeuralLotus
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

I think it could be done right, but if the description of the opening scene that Latino Review posted was what was planned, it seems like it may not have been going very well. It seemed a bit cliche (I can't remember how to do an "e" with an accent right now), epic, but cliche, if done right that opening could have been good, but I remember feeling that the description didn't sound very promising. But, I could be forgetting the actual description, but I think it didn't seem very promising.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq