• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 Blamo

Blamo

XBL: BLAMO52 Service Tag: B52

• Banned
  • 713 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:44 PM

lol? I thought Mr.Happy would gut you if you did that? or does that only apply to us Spartans?

Edited by Blamo, 06 April 2007 - 01:46 PM.

#22 Poe Ghostal

Poe Ghostal
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:14 AM

I don't quite get all the "Chief has to die" statements. First off, name me one major videogame franchise that has killed off the main character at the end of the game. (I'm sure there is one--so please name it for me.)

I realize there's the whole "last stand of the Spartans" thing, but personally I would be a bit disappointed to play 10+ hours of a videogame--particularly a first-person shooter, where I come to think of the character as almost an extension of myself--only to die at the end. I imagine more than a few gamers would feel the same way, Bungie.net forum posters aside.

I can see an ambiguous ending, where the fate of the Chief is left open to question (that would be annoying too, but not as depressing). I can definitely see Cortana dying (I'd bet money on it), and perhaps the Arbiter and even Johnson, but not the MC.

Of course, Bungie has shown they're more than willing to shrug off fan expectations (the Arbiter and the end of Halo 2, though the latter wasn't really intentional), so who knows. But I for one will be a bit disappointed if the Chief dies, no matter how heroically.

#23 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:27 AM

First off, name me one major videogame franchise that has killed off the main character at the end of the game. (I'm sure there is one--so please name it for me.)

The first game that comes to mind for me is StarCraft. Tassadar sacrifices his life to take out the Zerg Overmind at the end. Tassadar is one of several major characters in that game though, so it's not exactly the same as Halo.

#24 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:59 PM

I don't quite get all the "Chief has to die" statements. First off, name me one major videogame franchise that has killed off the main character at the end of the game. (I'm sure there is one--so please name it for me.)

Saints Row. That ending sucked.

I still think the Chief needs to die though. It brings closure to the story. And this is Master Chief's story.

#25 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:23 PM

MGS4 seems like it's going to go that way aswell... though they'll probably get a 4th clone to replace him.... urgh.....

#26 kon3cto

kon3cto
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

I'd rather see the Chief sacrifice the Arbitor to save the world, that would be fulfilling. EDIT: spelling

Edited by kon3cto, 24 April 2007 - 02:32 PM.

#27 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

I'm with Blade on this one. An honorable death for the Chief, one of valor and awesomeness, would be the only thing to suit him. I mean, can you imagine the Chief dying of old age or some BS like that? How stupid would that be?

Edited by Drew, 24 April 2007 - 02:39 PM.

#28 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

I'm with Blade on this one. An honorable death for the Chief, one of valor and awesomeness, would be the only thing to suit him. I mean, can you imagine the Chief dying of old age or some BS like that? How stupid would that be?

Old MC means more Halo games, man! Imagine it: He's 87 years old, in a retirement home, and has just snuck away from water aerobics to use the bathroom.

MC: *grunts from within the bathroom*
Passing Maid: Who's in there?
MC: This is Spartan-117!
Maid: Master Chief, you mind telling me what you're doing in there?
MC: Sir! Finishing this ****!

Fade to black, credits roll. Tears of pure joy roll down all of your faces.

#29 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:56 PM

I would want to see the Cheif die the death of a hero as well. It's the perfect closure for the series. I mean I just really can't imagine seeing the Chief's face unless he is dying or in a battle that results in his death. Not to mention that could you honestly see the Chief doing anything besides fighting? Like they said in the trailer for Halo: Combat Evolved. "You are built for combat, bred for war...".

#30 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:04 PM

Oh, and speaking of unseen faces, if they show what John really looks like in Halo 3, I'm going to bust a nut.

Edited by Drew, 24 April 2007 - 03:05 PM.

#31 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

Imo, John should never be unmasked. One of the cool things about Halo is the immersion, you can imagine anyone is behind that mask at the moment, and I think that's the way it should stay. Unless he looks really, really, really... reallllly badass. Am I the only one who thinks this? I've seen alot of GameFAQs posts that seem to want the opposite. But it just seems that Bungie doesn't plan to ever show his face. Just think about the MCs name, it's quite generic, almost as if you are meant to think he is whoever you imagine he is.

#32 Blamo

Blamo

• Banned
  • 713 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:42 PM

I'm with you there UHYVE, never seeing the face is the best way. That way it keeps him a little bit not-humanish, I'm not sure if you know what i mean, but it keeps him a little different.

#33 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

Well I understand why you think his name is plain, kind of like "John Doe" when they refer to any random person. But the reason his name it like that is because all Spartans were assigned 4 letter names. Why? Because names that short are easy to remember I would assume. It was covered in the books.

#34 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:15 PM

I would want to see the Cheif die the death of a hero as well. It's the perfect closure for the series. I mean I just really can't imagine seeing the Chief's face unless he is dying or in a battle that results in his death. Not to mention that could you honestly see the Chief doing anything besides fighting? Like they said in the trailer for Halo: Combat Evolved. "You are built for combat, bred for war...".

I think the ending should be more like this:

Posted Image

#35 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

I actually wouldn't mind seeing his battle weary face. I know why they don't show it but I don't necessarily agree with the logic. Edit: I'd almost bet money that Chief and Cortana die together, probably after the Arbiter dies.

Edited by Va1or, 24 April 2007 - 04:16 PM.

#36 Blamo

Blamo

• Banned
  • 713 posts

Master Chief's birth name is Scorpious. it says so on Wikipedia.

#37 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:20 PM

Unless it comes from Bungie, I don't believe it. Wikipedia is not always accurate anyways.

#38 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

Sometimes, Blamo, you come in from so far out in batshit left field I have no idea whether to laugh at you or throw things at you...

#39 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:32 PM

Show me the link to where it says his name is Scorpious. I'll change it to Ass Master.

#40 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:35 PM

I really need to read Fall of Reach again, I remember that Dr Halsey did have a file on the MC, I've just got no idea how deep they went into the file in the book. I can't imagine Bungie revealing the John's true name though...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq