Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

I love you guys. I'm just about certain one or more of you could write an article going over the nuances of Halo and it would be fit to publish in an academic journal.

Hell, honestly, I'd love to see someone write a book like Masters of Doom: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0812972155 about the rise and fall of Halo. I'd read the shit out of that.

#22 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

Right, so I'm assuming you think bloom is better in Reach, jump height is better in Reach, melees in Reach are better too since you have to melee once to pop the shield and again for kills as there's no bleed-through, the mini-nukes called grenades are better in Reach, the maps, oh and armor lock.

You're seriously arguing that H4 MP is better than Reach???

Halo 4 takes everything that Reach did wrong and magnifies it a thousand fold (sans removing Armor Lock, literally the ONLY thing that Halo 4 got right). I'm ambivalent toward bloom, because managed properly, it's irrelevant. It took five matches at most for me to figure out the proper cadence for the DMR. (Let's not forget that H4 had bloom at launch as well.) Mini-nukes? Did you never play Halo 1? If it weren't for the horrific map design, this wouldn't even be an issue. The maps in Reach are equally as bad as the ones in Halo 4, except Reach had at least two barely passable ones (Powerhouse and Reflection). Halo 4 shipped with a SINGLE map that wasn't absolute shit. Ragnarok would've been passable had it not been for the Mantis completely ruining the entire thing. Lack of melee bleedthrough is a minor transgression compared to the atrocities that Halo 4's MP commits.

#23 KrAzY WiSh

KrAzY WiSh
  • 347 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

I love Halo 4. It's my favourite after CE as it was the first time in the series that I had as much fun as I did playing CE. The only thing I really hated was the Mantis. It didn't feel right.

I also didn't like the trench run mission during the campaign but then again I'm not sure I know if anyone who did.

I'm looking forward to Compilation and H5.
GT: KrAzY WiSh

#24 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:50 AM

Wow Drew, ok so now I know you're trolling if you say that melees and bloom were minor transgressions. You'll probably say next that armor abilities were minor in Reach too.

#25 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

Why is it that you seem to be willing to forgive everything that Halo 4 did, when in fact, most of it was just Reach ratcheted up to a factor of ten?

- Loadouts? Now you can spawn with a Plasma Pistol and a one-shot-kill shotgun!!!

- Bloom? Git gud. Sorry man, but bloom didn't really have a huge impact on the game for me. It was annoying, but it certainly wasn't much of a hindrance once you learned the proper cadence for the guns. It has no place in Halo, I agree, but let's not forget that Halo 4 had it at launch.

- Armor abilities? Sure, armor lock is gone, but now you can see through walls, and for whatever reason, they decided it would be a good idea to buff both the jetpack AND active camo. Not only that, but they add fucking passive armor abilities as well? MAKES SENSE.

- Melee? I will give you that, it was shitty, but my god if it isn't a minor transgression compared to all the other shit that Halo 4 pulled.

Halo 4's base gunplay is solid, thanks to hitscan and the DMR, but after that it takes a giant nosedive.

*Post is still under construction, I will finish it later tonight.

#26 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

And that's what I'm getting at, like you said the gun play is solid because of the BR and hitscan, you can turn off the shitty armor abilities, the jumping is good, the melees are better than Reach, and you can turn the damn perks off. So as Dual also said, the low level controls are actually solid, it's just the other stuff that can make it miserable.

Reach on the other hand; you can't fix the grenades, the bloom, the jump height, the movement, the bloom, and there's no way to get the melee right. They even tried to patch all of it and it turned out even shittier. There's just nothing to work with.

#27 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:43 PM

I got lazy, will not actually finish that post. Was just going to bitch about the last two huge fuckups in 4, Ordnance and lack of weapons on the map.

---

You can turn them off, and then... what? Play custom games? If you want to play matchmaking you're fucked. Is there a classic playlist? How many people are there in it? A couple hundred at this point?

#28 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:00 AM

Hey, I have an idea. Let's count up all the bullshit wrong with each game:

Halo Reach

1. Armor Abilities
2. Bloom
3. Bouncy nuke grenades
4. No bleed-through melee
5. No Assault
6. Shitty map design

Halo 4

1. Armor Abilities
2. Perks
3. Custom Loadouts
4. Sprint
5. Instant Respawn
6. Random Ordnance
7. Personal Ordnance
8. Flinch instead of Descoping
9. Overpowered DMR
10. No 1-Flag or Assault
11. Shitty map design
12. Monstrous armor designs
13. Wheelchairs

Let me grab my calculator to figure out which one has the greater mass of shit... *beep boop boop beep*... okay, it looks like Halo 4 is worse by a factor of 7 shitty things. Sorry, Ivanjrn.

#29 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

AW FUCK. I forgot Halo 4's Join-in-Progress. The math is way too complicated now. I have no idea which game is worse anymore.

#30 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

science%20tiger.jpg

#31 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

BUT, some things are more important than other like the low level controls. Also, I would say that the maps in Reach are more shitty than the maps in H4 since they're lifted directly from the Reach campaign and aren't exactly even designed for multiplayer.

Damn, how did this thread get derailed from H3 to which game is more crappy between Reach and H4? Probably my fault. 

#32 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

Guys, you're forgetting that Invasion was a kick ass mode in Halo: Reach!

That was ruined by human weapons being better than the Covenant weapons...

Also wrong with Halo 4:

14. Warthog chain gun cool down.
15. Ghost boost throttle. 
16. Grenade trails. (Did Reach do this? I don't remember.)
17. No falcon.
18. There's a fucking one hit kill sniper.
19. The boltshot being a pocket shotgun. Paired with active camo. What a treat.
20. That perk, specifically, that kicks you out of a vehicle when it blows up saving you. 

#33 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,692 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

I'm always amazed at how much you guys remember about how these games played. I blocked all the shit out of my memory.

#34 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

I'm always amazed at how much you guys remember about how these games played. I blocked all the shit out of my memory.

This.

#35 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

I thought Reach's maps were designed, and then put into singleplayer? I remember hearing that in a vidoc, maybe.

Grenade trails were also in Reach, but they aren't very pronounced.

That would be like forgetting my rapists face, as far as I'm concerned. PTSD on my part, that's mainly how I can remember all of this shit.

#36 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

I've played waaaay too much Halo for me to simply forget. Especially since I still hold it's multiplayer design in very high regard.

#37 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:38 PM

Multiplayer yes. Campaign no. I love me some Halo single player and Halo 3's campaign was certainly one of the good ones, watch this and tell me you don't get the feels:

https://www.youtube....h?v=snufN7YTUTI

It had it's low points, but honestly that's almost a staple of a good Halo campaign. Plus it spawned ODST which was unarguably a great Halo campaign.

Campaign wise, the order of greatness goes:

Halo 1 > Halo 3 ODST = Halo 3 > Halo Reach > I can't decide between 2 and 4

People give 4 crap but it was 343's first Halo game and it wasn't completely terrible. Halo 2 was Bungie's second Halo game and the campaign was bad, it really was, don't try to argue because it was and you're wrong. People only give it a pass because they're made biased by the great multiplayer. Halo 3 is one of the ones I'm really looking forward to replaying, it's only a shame that ODST isn't included in the collection, who knows, maybe it'll be DLC.

Edited by UHYVE, 01 August 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#38 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:22 AM

I forgot about ODST, that shit was pretty gud.

Even the Drone level (levels?) were pretty cool, which surprised me greatly.

In fact, I think I might replay it this weekend.

#39 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,692 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

ODST was pretty damn good. Open world New Mombasa was a really nice change of pace. Only thing that really annoyed me was not fighting Elites.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq