EGM September '07

Halo 3

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#1 Lyca

Lyca
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

To avoid the posting of links to scans or images, we've recreated the thread here for public discussion on this information. We will also update this first thread with some of the known contents discussed in the magazine shortly - although information is sketchy due to the nature of the leak. Remember to pick up your own copy of EGM #218 in August.

Campaign:

Level 1: Sierra 117

They briefly discussed Sierra 117, the first level of the game, but listed it as the fifth. This was incorrect and later clarifed by lukems on NeoGAF. The level begins in the jungle and requires the Chief to fight through waves of Covenant until you reach an evac point (for Sgt. Johnson) and then defend it.

Level 3: Tsavo Highway

Begins in the "darkened ruins of a human base outside the Kenyan city of Voi." The player takes a Warthog Troop Transport near the ruins of New Mombasa and its giant space tether. After fighting through Covenant hordes, you come upon the Ark where a fleet of Covenant cruisers blast away at the surface of the Earth.

Level 4: The Storm

The Warthog convoy arrives at Voi to eliminate the Covenant forces there and allow for the Commander Keyes dropship to enter the Ark. The rest of this portion of the article is currently unclear.

Online Cooperative play is being attempted, but right now, only System Link is confirmed. The secondary player will play as the bitter Arbiter, who still hates humans but hates the Prophet of Truth more.

Weapons/Vehicles:

Mauler - A Brute shotgun which is dual-wieldable, marginally weaker than the M90 traditional version.

Gravity Hammer - The hammer has a lunge like the sword, but is used primarly for anti-vehicle measures and to generate shock waves which can scatter things such as grenades.

Plasma Turret - Briefly seen during the E3 2007 trailer, the turret appears to be a large, support class weapon carried at the hip.

Warthog Troop Transport (M831 TT) - Carries four passengers in rear cargo hold rather than turret.

Hornet - A UNSC VTOL gunship which is currently operable in campaign, but may make it into multiplayer. It holds one operator and two passengers and has its own arsenal of weaponry.

Prowler - A Brute LRV which seats one operator, one gunner and two passengers.

The Elephant - This is a base that can be driven around the map, but also holds the respawns and the flag/cap point. It adds another layer of strategy to the multiplayer matches, particularly CTF-based matches.

Deployable Equipment:

Personal Shield - Similar to the Jackal shield, deployed as a shield which isn't traversable and sticks into the ground.

Regenerator - Recharges a player's armor shielding.

Flare - Lets off a brilliant light as a diversionary tactic.

Invincibility - Gives player a temporary measure of invincibility. It will be rare in multiplayer.

Multiplayer

Elites have at least three armor permutations and the hit box detection issues which troubled their model in multiplayer has been addressed.

Previously discussed Last Resort, Epitaph and Sandtrap (Shrine) are previewed, as well as Guardian (Jub Jub), a spiritual successor to Lockout. It is a Forerunner structure found in the trees and takes place apparently at night.

Forge is a new way to play multiplayer. It allows a player to exist during a multiplayer match as a Forerunner monitor. The player can use a set amount of currency to alter physical factors within the map, like weapons, vehicles, inanimate objects and so on. This creates a new type of multiplayer gameplay which is completely customizable and based on the honor system.

One example of Forge multiplayer would be the RTS-like system where Team Slayer matches are powered by each team having the ability to generate weapons and vehicles on demand for live combat. Valor has captured the gist of what Bungie said during their discussion on Forge here.

The list of information above will be added to over the coming days and weeks, as new information from EGM #218 trickles in.

#2 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

I called Forge like 6 months ago as a weapons, spawn, item, flag,ect placement system....and was right.

#3 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:25 PM

OK, I deciphered the horrendous Forge page the best I could. Here you go (because I love you). Enter: Forge. It’s not a map editor in the traditional sense: You don’t create any new stages from scratch, you don’t alter any terrain or geometry, and you don’t color everything bubble-gum pink to match your new Volkswagen Beetle. What you do is run around a level and place and remove objects. Sounds incredible boring and unambitious, doesn’t it? We thought so, too, but What’s on paper is very different from what’s on the screen. When you boot up Forge > [Here's the tough part - Valor] You assume the role of a Monitor whose goofy floating-(?)-bad A.I. guys who are always trying to start up trouble by getting someone to blow (?) up a Halo (like 343 Guilty Spark). Your intentions are more innocuous though – no all-life (?) ending motives here. Just more fun multiplayer. You fly around the map (?) (like you’re actually playing the game) and place objects, grab and move them around or delete them. The items range from crates, barricades (?) and spawn/capture points to any weapon, equipment, or vehicle in the game (except, sadly, the Elephant) and all can be modified as far as ammo count, respawn times (?) and other peramiters. You only have a certain spending limit before you can’t “buy” any more objects for (?). At any time you can push up on the D-pad and turn your Monitor into your normal multiplayer character (?) start playing the level (?). This allows you to (?) out your (?). And you can do this (?) simultaneously with (?) friends over Xbox Live, system link or splitscreen, We tested with seven (?) players over system link but the final headcount for Forge has yet to be made official.) Did you just yawn (?) again? We admit it is difficult to describe why exactly Forge is fun. It's just something you have to try yourself to appreciate. But a lot of fun (and funny) things happen when you give people this playground to mess around in. It can be simple impromptu shootout (?). While your buddy's busy building that 50-foot tower of fusion coils, why not transform into a Spartan, lob a grenade in the pile, and watch his work (and him) go boom? And when he respawns and comes after you for revenge, just become a Monitor again and zip away in the air to safety. Oh, did we mention that Forge will keep score and keep track of your kills for you? The Bungie developers found creative ways to play their own game within Forge. "One of the first things that happened on the first night that we had a play test," says Bakken, " was these two guys just started playing Jenga. They were making fusion coils, then they would stack a big crate on them, and they would stack more fusion coils. If you screwed up and dropped it improperly, the entire thing blew up in your face." Other ad-libbed game types at Bungie include Grab The Mongoose (one guy drives around the map, the other Monitors try to snag the ATV out from underneath him), Magic Carpet Ride (pick up a crate with a teammate on it and race him around the map without spilling him) and a real-time strategy way of playing Team Slayer (each team of normal players has one Monitor to create weapons and vehicles for them on-the-fly, reacting to what you see the other team equipping-or the monitor can just fly over and start deleting the other team's gear). You won't see any of these "modes" in the final game; you'll just have to recreate them if you want-or create your own. "It's more than a map editor," says Green. "It's also a space where you can play these honor-rules games."

Edited by Va1or, 17 July 2007 - 08:31 PM.

#4 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

If what you say is true, Forge reminds me a lot, and I mean a lot, of Garrys Mod for Half-Life 2.

#5 squick3n

squick3n
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:31 PM

Nice work Valor. Thanks for doing that.

#6 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

You're welcome Squick. (Updated it with many of the spelling errors fixed.)

#7 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:36 PM

BTW online Co-op (if someone can find that part) is not confirmed. It's not even final yet. the have design issues. This pisses me off. It's the only thing i really want in the game. EDIT: Intresting tid bits. 1. System link Co-op confirmed, 4 player equals no comment. Online is one of the last things they are working on, The biggest problem is scale and that one of you could be a mile away in a warthog and it would screw up the game. Frankie says they aren't dumb and since most of the game is just getting touch up it's a main bullet point. Biggest news is you only play as M.C in single player, but co-op you play as the arby (second player does) Flashbang confirmed. The new elephant is a moving mobile base (think of the big truck in live free or die hard) it has mounted turrets and moves very slowly. Sounds fun...more as I decode it.

Edited by quickshade, 17 July 2007 - 08:52 PM.

#8 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:49 PM

BTW online Co-op (if someone can find that part) is not confirmed. It's not even final yet. the have design issues. This pisses me off. It's the only thing i really want in the game.

I was disappointed to see they haven't finalized that shit, but I don't want the Campaign compromised in any way just to make it work online. I'm actually very satisfied with the fact that coop works over system link which is really cool since I can just call up my cousin and have him bring his box, hell I can probably make that shit work over xbc.

Forge sounds amazing. I don't know why EGM thinks it sounds boring. Anyone who's played Crackdown can now understand how much fun this mode must be. As I was reading it, the concept reminded me a lot of the Crackdown "Keys to the City" mode except even better. Remember that Frankie suggested in the Joystiq interview that there would be DLC attached to the another mode in the game besides multiplayer. I can already imagine tons of different things they'll add to Forge.

#9 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:50 PM

I just hope I'll be able to save the variations of levels I make in Forge.

#10 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

I just hope I'll be able to save the variations of levels I make in Forge.

They mention it in the article.

Other things:

Hornet confirmed only in single player, but they bet it will be in multiplay (no duh???)
Marathon should be out by August 7th.
New equipment: shield like a jackel would have, invisibility which will be rare.
Hammer is a new weapon. Can bounce grenades back at people from hitting the ground. If it hits a warthog or any other moving object it sends it flying, Also has a lunge move.

Story was of great importance this time. It was started along Halo 2 (confirms that E3 2004 leak about Halo 2 and 3 being worked on) and that a rough draft was at least done when Halo 2 shipped (my thought) Another big thing is they are making the story easier to understand, but Hardcore fans will still see stuff that while not important in the game story might explain something only hardcore fans might know about.

the second mission has a huge encounter at the end with more enemys than in the first mission of halo 1. and it's not even the biggest battle. (some count the enemies in the first mission please)

Flood confirmed.

Edited by quickshade, 17 July 2007 - 09:24 PM.

#11 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:40 PM

Brute technology is really beginning to own my soul. Hammers, Maulers, Prowlers, Spike Rifles, Choppers, Spike Grenades, Brute Shots... :wub:

#12 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:00 PM

I just realized that on page 73 the Spartan has the fan contest-winning pirate on his shoulder. That hurts. That hurts bad. (My Spartan am fail.)

#13 Oozer

Oozer
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:07 PM

I'm guessing the Mauler is the "handful of death" they teased about in a couple Humpday Challenges. And thank you, sweet merciful Lord, there is a human flying vehicle. I may pass out when I first use it. And Forge sounds very fun.

#14 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

Good write-up Lyca. Also, notice how closely that aligns with the Campaign Construction thread in Campaign Spoilers?

#15 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

I just realized that on page 73 the Spartan has the fan contest-winning pirate on his shoulder. That hurts. That hurts bad. (My Spartan am fail.)

We also finally get a shot of the Scorpion (complete with Monitors).

#16 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:29 AM

Wow this is a wealth of information. How the hell does the Hammer bounce grenades back, you would have to swing it before they explode? Which would mean the swing is incredible fast. At first read, Forge sounded like you would be a monitor that alters the map while OTHER people play eachother. But if it is 1 on 1 and you are altering while you play.... well that sounds really cool. Spawning weapons into your own hands is also too. The scale of Campaign must be insane for them to have Online co-op problems, but then again we DID take a banshee and fly up into space with it outside of Valhalla lol. I can see how that would be a problem when one person is fighting the campaign, and the other person takes off in a Banshee or Ship towards the Ark. When does it hit newsstands?

#17 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:37 AM

How the hell does the Hammer bounce grenades back, you would have to swing it before they explode? Which would mean the swing is incredible fast.

Watch the Brute swing those puppies in the E3 trailer. Really fast slams of the Hammer.

At first read, Forge sounded like you would be a monitor that alters the map while OTHER people play eachother. But if it is 1 on 1 and you are altering while you play.... well that sounds really cool. Spawning weapons into your own hands is also too.

You can be a Monitor and alter the game while others play. You can at any time switch back and forth between Spartan and Monitor. Sounds like you need to be a Monitor (you actually look like a 343esque sphere) to alter the objects and you need to switch to a Spartan to play with the objects in 1st person.

#18 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:18 AM

The stationary Jackal shield has the potential to be Rape on a platter. Having to strafe in and out of the Bubble Shield was a skill and the only way you could fire at opponents. Now with a shield that you can fire out of, but they can't fire in is crazy. I can see someone dropping the jackal shield in a convenient place where grenades cannot get to him and reaking havok. This game is going to be even more insane that I ever imagined. I dont know If i'm ready. And by ready I mean Worthy.

#19 broony

broony
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the summary, been at work all day here in the UK, cant access most gaming sites through work's firewall, get home and everything looks like its been deleted. Nevermind. What elite variations were there? Based on previous armour or brand new?

#20 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:00 AM

There was the standard Elite. There were also at least 3 different Elite shoulder armor variations and a different helmet style. It looks like the Elite Ranger Helmet in H2.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq