• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

'Sup. Any word on when Ghaleon's going to be leaking the contents of his super secret, slip it in the pocket, Seattle-scented disc of Infinite Win? I've been waiting all day. ;)

Can't wait to see the Saved Film from this event. Hopefully, they let the campaign stuff out there for the Weekly Update.

It's good to see you here Urk.

I think they HAVE to let the campaign stuff out this week.

OR

IMAX show in NYC early next week, then they can let it out in a weekly update. :biggrin:

Disc??, hrmm??

#42 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

to anyone not lucky enough to get to see the IMAX show. Heres 37 seconds from IGN, and it's pretty high rez. Nothing like IMAX but it shows how great (amazing) the graphics are. lazy link

#43 PRO_KING

PRO_KING
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

O man that was beautiful! The bunkers and marines vs. dropships reminded me of in Halo where you hold out in the forerunner buildings while you wait for echo 419 to come pick you up.

#44 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:21 AM

to anyone not lucky enough to get to see the IMAX show. Heres 37 seconds from IGN, and it's pretty high rez. Nothing like IMAX but it shows how great (amazing) the graphics are. lazy link

It looks so buttery smooth, even off-screen. It helps it was capped with a HD camcorder, but its still testament to the improvements since the Beta. I thought it looked fine to begin with, but that should quiet the Unbelievers come Sept. 25.

Only 48,960 minutes!

#45 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:33 AM

I wasn't given a disk. I was given this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I said 'hi' to Luke as the line progressed through the main lobby of the theater. He, Lars, Frank, Tyson Green, Marty and some other guys from Bungie were standing along the side greeting people as they came in. When it was over, he yelled for "Ben to get down here" - so I did. We went up to the back seats in the theater where Bungie had some of their stuff piled and he gave me the Kubrick set as a gift. It was very, very cool of him to do so (they'd just gotten them in the Studio).

On the way out, I said goodbye and Lars Bakken was next to him. Lars says, "Are you Ghaleon?" I was too floored to say anything coherent, I think all I got out was, um yes? One of the greatest game designers alive knows who I am? If only I'd said something approaching intelligent in response. :confused:

As I walked away from the IMAX, I found myself next to someone for a ways. I glance over, and it's Marty. I stare for about three seconds, then just keep going. A moment later he stops at the valet parking and I trudge over to the parking garage. I almost said something like, "I don't mean to bother you, but I just wanted to say that I admire your work." But he looked exhausted and deep in thought, and probably just wanted to be left alone, so I respected that.

#46 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:38 AM

I wasn't given a disk.

Did you have to sign anything to recieve said disk?

#47 Cerious

Cerious
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:51 AM

Hey, I just wanted to thank Drew and Ghaleon for their impressions. Great job. My head is going to explode from all detail you guys put into your write ups. Me thinks I'll go pick up Bioshock tonight and try to immerse myself into a halo free vacuum for a while. :biggrin:

#48 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:02 PM

Drew, Ghaleon, fantastic write-ups. I really appreciate you guys putting the time into giving so much detail in those. Much better than what I could ever do. You guys weren't kidding when you said the game looks like it runs above 30 FPS. That IGN video was gorgeous.

#49 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:00 PM

More play on campaign. Not nearly as good picture quality but you see better gameplay.
lazy link

Sandtrap video. Map is huge.
lazy link

Edited by quickshade, 22 August 2007 - 01:04 PM.

#50 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:13 PM

Some questions for The Honored: Did the Covie deaths seem more animated or Havok generated, and did you notice much of a variety in the animations for the same type of deaths. See any Incendiary grenades? Were the Grunts pretty much just rocking the standard PP and Needler? I remember reading that Grunts would be sporting some new weapons this time around. Was the Brute Chopper armed with Spike Rifle equivalent weapons, or were they heavier than the hand held variety? Did the Marines seem noticeably smarter than the last two iterations, and did you see them do things you've never seen before? ( scaling short walls, completely kicking ass, etc) I realize it was a lot to take in all at once, and you've only seen a little taste, but these were little things I was wondering about.

#51 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:28 PM

More play on campaign. Not nearly as good picture quality but you see better gameplay.
lazy link

lazy link

Thanks for the links Quickshade. Awesome vids.

Edited by Va1or, 22 August 2007 - 01:58 PM.

#52 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:10 PM

lazy link

Map is frickin' massive.

Elite looked awesome in 3rd person view. Wowzers

#53 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:26 PM

Many thanks for the awesome impression Drew, much appreciated. So much detail in there. Were you taking notes? Using a dictaphone? Or some other reference? ;)

Thanks again!

Nope, all from memory. =P

Did you bump into Ghaleon?

Nah, I missed him by a couple minutes. He got into the first showing, and I made it for the second.

Hey Drew in your single player write-up you said Luke got his head shot off by a jackal sniper. Was it literally off or was this just colorful language?

Nope. Just colorful language. He did get sniped in the face, though. :D

Good write-up, Drew. You must have gone to the second session, as when they played Campaign for us, they stopped right after abandoning vehicles and moving down the road for a bit; they didn't get to the Marines. We also didn't see the Scorpion fire (he spawned it, but no one drove or fired it), or the Flamethrower (which I really wanted to see). Cool of them to do some different stuff on each showing.

Yeah. They said that the extra stuff was to say "thank you" for waiting an extra hour. It was really, really cool of them.

Very nice coverage. Forge and Saved Films are going to give Halo 3 some very long, very sexy legs. Really nice to see that the visual fidelity and sound design have been improved. I was impressed by both in the Beta, so if they've been significantly ramped up, then it's going from jaw-dropping to jaw-something that's more than dropping. I wanted to say breaking or removing, but that just sounds painful. Whatever. 9/25. BELIEVE.

Oh, and hello.

:smile:

lurk moar? Hello there, our almighty Toilet Lord. Welcome to the lair. =)

That takes place right as they exit the tunnel at the beginning of the demo. That's the small hill I described in my write-up, and it is, truly, the first time we witness the massive scale of the game.

lazy link

lazy link

The first video you see takes place right after you exit the cave, and come over that small hill I was talking about. At the end of the first video, we're on one of the huge ruins in Sandtrap, that run along the length of the map (broken in the middle by that huge gorge I briefly mentioned). He appears to be next to red base. The second video takes place in front of the aforementioned gorge, and is the location of the shenanigans that occurred during the Saved Films demonstration. I'll start on those soon, by the way.

Did the Covie deaths seem more animated or Havok generated, and did you notice much of a variety in the animations for the same type of deaths.

Yeah, the animations were way more varied than what we've seen in the past two games. They've received a lot more love this time around. Not only is there a huge variation to the animations for all characters, but there's also a lot of physics based stuff as well. It's impressive to see bodies realistically tumble away after being clipped by a Warthog, or crumple under a headshot. Everything seemed dead on. Another thing I noticed about animations in general is that they flowed extremely well. It was hard to tell when enemies were transitioning animations, as they did it so smoothly that it almost appeared to be scripted. Huge props to the animation guys, you've really earned your pay this time around.

See any Incendiary grenades?

Unfortunately, no. A couple of people shouted out for it during the Forge demonstration, but we never actually got to see it in action. Oh well. =(

Were the Grunts pretty much just rocking the standard PP and Needler? I remember reading that Grunts would be sporting some new weapons this time around.

Yeah, basically the old Grunts you know and love (except a lot more adept as far as brains go). It was hard to tell with all of the stuff going on, but from what I could tell they were still rocking primarily their old stuff. I did noticed that they use grenades a lot more now, and they're quite adept with them. It's a little scary, actually. Frank just barely avoided being stuck several times.

Was the Brute Chopper armed with Spike Rifle equivalent weapons, or were they heavier than the hand held variety?

The Brute Chopper is an interesting one. The cannons are extremely powerful, so much so that you can only change elevation on them (or at least that's all I saw), and were required to turn the entire front of the vehicle to aim from side to side. Think of it as having two oversized Brute Shots attached to the front. They fire slightly slower than normal Brute Shots do, but the ammo is unlimited and there's almost no arc to them. They also two twice as much damage. It took down a fully armored Brute in about two seconds flat.

Did the Marines seem noticeably smarter than the last two iterations, and did you see them do things you've never seen before? ( scaling short walls, completely kicking ass, etc)

Oh yeah. The marines are incredible this time around. Not only are there more of them, but they all act like you'd expect real marines to. They use a ton of cover, rolling in out of rocks and trees to take pot shots at the enemy. Peering around walls and over wreckage to get a better view of the battle field. They also use covering fire to great effect, temporarily pinning enemies so their buddies can dive into cover. Their combat banter has also been improved, and all of it goes to really put you into the battle. Everything seems to add to the experience now, and the fact that the marines are no longer a burden is a huge help.

I realize it was a lot to take in all at once, and you've only seen a little taste, but these were little things I was wondering about.

Hey man, it's no problem. In fact, I encourage people to ask me a bunch of small questions like this. It helps me remember things better and I have a good time answering.

---

Thanks for all of the positive feedback guys. I really appreciate it. <3

Edited by Drew, 22 August 2007 - 02:30 PM.

#54 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

Video Orgasms

Tsavo Highway

More Single Player

Actually just go to Game Videos and look at recently added videos...

*EDIT* Wow, super nice new video Click for video sex

Edited by NJ x Falk0r, 22 August 2007 - 02:45 PM.

#55 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:40 PM

I nominate Drew as The Man.

#56 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:55 PM

I believe we should have a topic just for these "Campaign" videos. I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't really want to spoil any of the locations/battles and the like before we can actually get our hands on the game itself. =/

#57 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:58 PM

I believe we should have a topic just for these "Campaign" videos. I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't really want to spoil any of the locations/battles and the like before we can actually get our hands on the game itself. =/

Good Idea. Create one

#58 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

Alright, I've started on my Saved Films impressions. It'll be a while.

#59 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

I would but I have to go back to work shortly, and I may not have the time in order to do so tonight. Multiplayer videos on the other hand are perfectly fine by me. Sandtrap looks crazy awesome.

#60 Cuckooo

Cuckooo
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:10 PM

So so many videos coming out tonight! It's hard to keep up with them all, there all looking fantastic. Also, Ghaleon what a sound gift to be given! Don't know how people mistook if for a disk though :laugh:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq