Photo

Halo Memories

Halo: CE

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:40 PM

Haha, nice Coco. The most satisfying thing on XBL is to beat a stubborn preteen. I never had the chance to play real competition in Halo CE, we usually turned on infinite grenades and had sticky fights on Blood Gulch (fucking awesome). It sorta sucks how you drove an hour round trip to play for 10 minutes.

#22 KrAzY WiSh

KrAzY WiSh
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

One of my fondest Halo memories goes back to when the pc version was released. I was working in a shop called GAME, its kind of like Electronics Boutique in the states I think, anyways its a big video games retailer. I remember the delivery arriving and in the same box as the game itself were the stategy guides. Now I dont know if any of you guys here remember but in the months running up to Halo pc`s release there was a chap on the Bungie forums, I forget his name now, asking for members of the community to submit their own content for the strategy guide. I thought what the hell I`ve finished Halo on legendary dozens of times so i`ll see if any of my knowledge is worth anything lol Anyways, me and my colleagues ripped the shrink wrap off the guide and eagerly began scanning through the pages to see if anything I had submitted was used. Sadly, after about 20 minutes and about 10 times through the book we realised I hadnt made the cut :( About an hour later one of my colleagues came back off of his lunch break with a copy of the guide folded out at the "Thanks to" section. There was my name, in print, in a Halo stategy guide - Ryan "Killkrazy" O`Doherty :D I was chuffed to bits haha After that day, for the rest of my employment at game, whenever a customer was looking at the game or guide my manager and colleagues would point me out and say things like "This guy helped write that book" or "He`s a professional Halo player" lol it was all done for a laugh and alot of the time I would just be cringing but, well, good times. I just wish I had actually bought a copy of the guide.
GT: KrAzY WiSh

#23 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:22 AM

Wow, that's awesome! I have the guide, I'm gonna look for your name in it.

#24 KrAzY WiSh

KrAzY WiSh
  • 347 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:08 PM

:biggrin:

Here`s a video a friend of mine put together. It`s from the PC version again from my early clan days.

My Old Halo Clan

#25 MCPO RaZ

MCPO RaZ
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:57 AM

This was a nice little thread to read through. That was a neat little story Coco... I've been on the high end of those situations before as well. It's that one little lie and secret that we let spread because we know it's good for our egos... lol!!!

KrAzY.. that is awsome. You have staked your own piece of real estate in the Halo franchise. You have bragging rights my friend. That is something that physically lives on forever. Nice.

As for myself, playing the game wasn't only the best part but all of the situations that evolved around the game play enhanced the experience and added to the memories. My wife and I just moved into a nice condo on North Hutchinson Island in Ft. Pierce, Florida shortly after the game came out. I think I had bought Halo CE a few days before we moved in, therefore I didn't really have much experience with it due to the moving project.

We are surfers and we were moving into our dream pad in the exact location that we told ourselves we were going to live many years ago. It's a surfers paradise. We had an ocean view and only lived about 50 yards from the shore. On top of that it was a neighborhood that was filled with local natives. There was not one ounce of crime and you didn't need to lock your doors. It's one of the only spots that is tucked away from the crowds and only the natives know about it. Surfing was something that we lived for and we were fulfilling our lifestyle. There is nothing like living on the beach... the smells, the sounds, the babes and most of all.. the surf. Our environment was perfect.. but little did I know that my life was going to change.

After about 3 days of moving everything in.. we finally had our first chance to relax. The first thought that crossed my mind was.. "I wanna play that game I bought last week." So, I opened up the front door and the windows to let the sounds, smells and fresh ocean breeze into our new pad figuring that it would be nice to do while playing a game. Plus my wife would like it too. My wife said that since I was going to play a video game she was gonna run down to the store and buy some little things that she noticed we needed. That was cool with me. Now my guy time was really my guy time. Just me, the ocean breeze and cold beer and my game. "This is the life".. I thought to myself. I popped open the X-Box relishing in the opening sequence as the system loaded. I miss that little green opening sequence.. lol. I loaded in the game and started in.

The menu screen was the likes of something that I had never seen in my life for a video game. Hell, the sounds of the chanting Monks only enhanced the main menu experience. As the camera swept around installation 04 I felt something that I had never felt before with a game. "This is gonna be a really cool experience I think" and I started the game. I was immediately sucked into the Halo universe for the first time. Trying to follow this Marine to the bridge I was shaken a couple times by the huge explosions, one of those taking this Marine with it. Now I needed to find my own way. Eventually I made it to the bridge but not without seeing some brutally assaulted and dead Marines. After my first encounter with Keyes and Cortana for the first time I asked myself.. Who is this green guy? Who is this A.I. ? (she is hot) and this Capt. Keyes fellow seems a little uneasy about sending me on my way.

When I tangled with the grunts and elites I was instantly hooked. Thier movements were so different from one another and thier vocals were intriguing, plus they shot thier weapons with such accuracy. I knew I was in for a great experience with this game.

For the next few months I would spend alot of my time between surfing and Halo. On the weekends I would wake up before the sun came up, play some Halo.. go surfing if the conditions called for it, come back and play some Halo and if I got stuck on a spot in a level I would go surfing again. I was in a perpetual state of euporia. I was living exactly where I wanted to, I had a hot wife, we surfed alot, I played Halo alot (my wife would play on occasion too) and she actually encouraged it. I was a married 26 year old surfing, game playing, beer drinking Florida native. Life didn't get any better than that.

Some would argue that one who does such things has no life but I disagree. I was doing exactly what I wanted to do, living exactly where I wanted to live, surfed exactly when I wanted to surf, played Halo anytime I wanted to play Halo and most of all.. I had a wife who encouraged all of this and even got involved.

Within those few months my transformation began. I was being molded into a Halo addict. I found the story to be gripping and I would search out any information that I could find about the plot. Back then, not much could be found... only a bunch of speculation sites which only helped me to think outside of the box from the game. It was great. It fueled my geekdom.

A couple years later my Halo gaming had subsided. I had run through Legendary enough times to recite the grunt and elite dialog on each level (ya, I played it alot) and the Lan parties were filled with people who didn't play well.

One day, my wife came home with a present for me that was wrapped in green. I looked at her thinking... "OH CRAP is it our anniversary?" But, it wasn't. It was just something nice she was doing for me. I wiped the sweat off of my brow from having that sudden jolt of adrenaline thinking I just nearly messed up big. I tore into the wrapping paper to see the Halo logo on 3 books. Yes, my wife just surprised me with the novels. I had no idea they existed. I couldn't belive that I just spent 2 years of Halo fandom not knowing about the books. She said that she was going to go get some sun at the beach and asked if I wanted to go pack a cooler full of beer and bring "Fall Of Reach" to the beach and get caught up. She didn't have to ask twice. I was already in my board shorts and flip flops.. I just needed to pack the cooler.

That day.. my Halo geekdom was officially on overdrive and the rest is history.

Edited by MCPO RaZ, 01 February 2009 - 08:11 AM.

#26 CakeTown

CakeTown

This is Caketown!

• 122 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:01 PM

And all of that, you did without having a job?
twitter: @bradenbullen

#27 MCPO RaZ

MCPO RaZ
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

And all of that, you did without having a job?

No, I had a job at the time. I was a trauma nurse at a local emergency room. I worked either 12 or 24 hour shifts. I could get a full time paycheck if I worked 2 days straight. That's the schedule that I usually chose because it would afford me 5 days off to do as a chose while taking care of my wife. I would work like a dog for 2 days straight, then have fun for the next five after I slept for about 12 hours... lol.

I should have mentioned that I worked 40 hours a week in my post. Sorry.

#28 KrAzY WiSh

KrAzY WiSh
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

That was an excellent story MCPO RAZ. Surfing and gaming sounds like the perfect existence, though I would personally replace surfing with snowboarding.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo: CE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq