Perfect Dark Zero

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

Ton of people are bashing the pictures for not being good enough.
LINK

#2 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:52 PM

I don't know, I think they look decent. I mean, the game isn't even out of production yet it looks better than most PC games out right now and it allows for 50 players in multiplayer. I think that's pretty impressive. I especially like that they mingle the spy/tactical elements of Rainbow Six/Splinter Cell/Ghost Recon with the run-and-gun that looks really similar to GoldenEye and in some tokens, Quake. From what I understand, the flying vehicle is one of a few that you can operate. I think the maps look quite entertaining, even if they're a bit sterile. It makes me excited to see what we're going to get from Halo 3.

#3 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:56 PM

Well, to be honest, it looks like crap compared to what can be done.

#4 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:07 PM

I just read in my Gamespot daily newletter that it will support 64 players. I never played the original Perfect Dark, but it seems like this game is completely opposite of what the original was like. I've heard the first is great though, so that gives me teh hope.

#5 soapofdurden

soapofdurden

Can use the magnum.

• 257 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:12 PM

Almost all of the original PD team went to Free Radical, That being said, PD looks extremely MEH.
Gamertag: soapofdurden
soapofdurden@yahoo.com
AIM: soapofdurden101

#6 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:40 AM

I like it.

• Guests

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:33 AM

Almost all of the original PD team went to Free Radical, That being said, PD looks extremely MEH.

Free Radical kicks ass. I don't know what you're talking about.

#8 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:54 PM

What he means is that since almost none of the Rare team that developed Perfect Dark are actually with Rare anymore, the Rare team that's making Perfect Dark: Zero looks MEH to him. That's because they all moved in with Free Radical, which does kick rather substantial amounts of ass.

• Guests

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:56 PM

Ah. Rare made great games back in the day: Donkey Kong Country Star Fox Adventures Jet Force Gemini Perfect Dark Goldeneye 64 Conker's Bad Fur Day Tons of others, these are merely my favorites. I have total faith in those guys.

#10 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:18 PM

Looks are not everything in a game...I mean the graphics can be great and all, but if it lacks good proper gameplay then it wouldn't be worth the CD it was placed on.

#11 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:40 PM

Ah.

Rare made great games back in the day:

Donkey Kong Country
Star Fox Adventures
Jet Force Gemini
Perfect Dark
Goldeneye 64
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Tons of others, these are merely my favorites.

I have total faith in those guys.

Around the age of 13 or 14, Banjo-Kazooie was a favorite, as well as Diddy Kong Racing.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#12 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:39 PM

I watched the gameplay vids in very slow-mo on the tivo today and I can tell you the graphics will kick ass. I know this because you can tell the game and graphics engine used for this game seems to be top-notch. The physics are flawless, and if you look at the few explosions closely you can tell there's a lot of quality. The game looks meh right now probably the enviroments are playable but not textured. Think Wizard vs Warlock, same map except Warlock is textured and detailed like crazy. You can be sure that PDZ will look kick ass.

#13 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:52 AM

Screens and a gameplay video.

#14 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:57 AM

This game will own. Trust me. I may however be too busy playing Gears Of War.

#15 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:10 AM

sexy.

#16 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:24 PM

sexy.

Yeah, I guess I'd do her.
don't tread on me

#17 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:18 PM

Pic-o-rama

• Guests

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:24 PM

Sweet shit.

#19 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:33 PM

I went to a friend's house and played Perfect Dark the other day. I had already moved on to Dreamcast when that game was in its heyday, but the chance to play it again reminded me that it had some very cool aspects to it.

1) Bots- even if they can't ever act like humans, they are cannon fodder, a good way to practice the maps
2) Co-op- Halo got the credit for it, but Perfect Dark had it first.
3) The "Rare touch"- For an N64 game, Perfect Dark looks amazing, from the death animations to the amazingly crafted environs to the blood stains that are left on walls after you headshot someone- all of these things were later seen in a certain game that rhymes with J-Lo.

Obviously, Rare understands a lot of the ways to make a great solo experience, but I can't judge the multiplayer because Perfect Dark's SUCKED (Yeah, I said it....) It was fun at the time, but it was all spray and pray, none of the actual aiming skill from a game like Halo. Also- no jumping, so movement feels shitty. However, both of these problems can be blamed on the bunk-ass N64 controller, so I'm sure that PDZ will rectify both of these things.

As of right now, it's clear that Solo mode in PDZ looks a lot more polished, and this pic especially reminds me of my playthrough of the original PD:
Campaign

Multiplayer character models and animations looked pretty rough from what little I've seen of the game, but that is not true of the levels- they look AWESOME! The desert level features all sorts of staircases and rooftops, and the city subway level looks nice at the very least.
Turf? Terminal?

#20 soapofdurden

soapofdurden

Can use the magnum.

• 257 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:48 PM

Dont worry Syracuse, PDZ wont play anything like the original. That whole team is making games as Free Radical now. Chances are that this Perfect Dark will play exactly like Halo, which makes me sad.
Gamertag: soapofdurden
soapofdurden@yahoo.com
AIM: soapofdurden101

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq