Crackdown

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#21 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:43 PM

For posting on the beta forum and such. Having been on this forum for about two years now, a lot of us have seen, perpetuated and inflated theories about Halo 2 and Halo 3 almost as long as we've known eachother. There was that Halo 1 multiplayer Live demo in November 2003 a lot of you guys might have heard about, a demo for Halo 2 back in November of 2003 and in August of 2004 (this one was big and we all talked about it), there was the demo for Halo 3 in November of 2005, as well. One that would launch with the Xbox 360. These never happened and they would have all made Microsoft a ton of money, so now, whenever something like this comes up, I immediately get sketpical. I will say this: Since we already know that there will be a beta, it is a possibility. Although I'm eagerly anticipating the beta, I think for some fans it could be a bad choice for Microsoft.

#22 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 12:21 AM

the guys at GameStop work at GameStop for a reason, and it's not their overpowering intellect. It's cool that he said that, but those guys know a lot less about video games than they think they do.

I know this guy about as well as I know some of you, he's the manager so he's a little older and he's definitely not an idiot. He's a nintendo fanboy and has given me some very accurate information before about nintendo news. In other words I definitely respect what he has to say, he made it clear to me that he doesn't know anything for sure and it's something he heard from someone reputable within the company. Although it's a rumor at this point, it carried enough weight that he would tell me and that's enough for me to at least seriously consider the possibility.

There won't be a Halo 3 multiplayer demo on Crackdown's disc. When has any console game publisher ever done that? An online beta demo on a full game's disc? Wow, he really wants you to buy Crackdown...which, to be honest, you should, even if there is no Halo 3 multiplayer demo - which there won't be.

You can't know for sure that they won't put it on the disc. MS put demos of games such as Fusion Frenzy on the Halo disc so it's not the first time they do a demo on a disc. He could care less if I buy Crackdown, I buy so much stuff there it doesn't even matter to him what I'm looking to get at any given moment he genuinely mentioned it to me as something I would want to know. All he cares about right now is that I get a Wii, and that's the only thing he's really been pushing me to get.

#23 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:47 PM

:whistling:
Posted Image

#24 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:50 PM

I think Crackdown's sales just quintupled.

#25 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

Ha, I'm one of the guys that probably wouldn't have bought it but that's changed.

Edited by Vanwadilion, 27 December 2006 - 06:55 PM.

#26 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

Well, that's not a demo on the disc, but I suppose it's as close as I can get to being wrong without actually being wrong. Man, I've been having some bad luck as of late with the whole calling things beforehand.

Any idea on how the boxes are going to be marked? Tomorrow = trip to GameStop, hopefully ensuring access into the multiplayer beta.

#27 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:28 PM

I was always on the fence about Crackdown, and I still kinda am, but I may look into getting it now that I can get a guaranteed (it is a guarantee right?) invitation to the Beta. By the way, what does it say below the Halo 3 Beta message? "Limited time offer - look for specially marked...juices"?

#28 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:19 PM

Sweet, a Halo 3 Beta for $60 and I get Crackdown for free.

#29 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:38 PM

Sweet, a Halo 3 Beta for $60 and I get Crackdown for free.

LOL!

What the hell does it say? Limited Time Offer is definitely clear. I almost think it says "look for specially marked boxes" and it would suck if only certain boxes had the invitations.

If this is what it's gonna take to definitely get into the beta, I'm definitely gettin that shit!

#30 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:11 PM

LOL!

What the hell does it say? Limited Time Offer is definitely clear. I almost think it says "look for specially marked boxes" and it would suck if only certain boxes had the invitations.

If this is what it's gonna take to definitely get into the beta, I'm definitely gettin that shit!

I'm pretty sure only certain ones will have it, but it's clear that there will be a time limitation and that we'll be able to tell which ones have it by looking on the cover of the box. I'll try to hit up my friends at GameStop to see if they can shine any additional light on this tomorrow...

EDIT: Does anyone have the feeling that the only reason Microsoft put the term "limited" on this beta in the first place is to do something like this? I was actually expecting console bundles which include a ticket to the multiplayer beta and like a free Halo 3 t-shirt or something for buying a $399 unit and $49 for Xbox Live at like $425 or something. Using Crackdown is surprising to me...quite surprising.

#31 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:44 AM

Perhaps the reason MS is saying "limited time offer - look for specially marked boxes" is because the timeframe of the beta itself is limited. Maybe the entire first and second waves of Crackdown will contain this code/invitation, but eventually MS will no longer mint the disks with the code because the Beta period is ending or is near ending. This way, some guy can't buy Crackdwon in three years and say, "hey where's the Halo demo they promised!" I think this will definately boost sales, but only ridiculously so if it's widely known that it's the only way to get the beta. If I can get the beta somewhere else, there is stilll a good chance I won't be getting this (though it does look really cool, even with all the glowing blue orbs). Maybe this will be a timed exclusive to Crackdown? Maybe for the first couple weeks of the beta you can only access it via Crackdown and later it will be open to more people. It looks like MS won't be fooled twice and is actually looking to make money this time around. Master Chief's MJOLNIR prints money.

#32 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:17 AM

I was actually referring to the "limited" tag on other pieces of ads for the beta, not this ad or the box itself. If Microsoft originally said that anyone who signed up at halo3.com or for one of the XCN promos out there would get to play the beta guaranteed, then Halo fans wouldn't consider buying this game unless they already wanted it. Bungie have always said on one hand that it is limited and on the other hand that they're intending on getting the beta in as many hands as possible. Why say that, when it is entirely likely to provide the beta to anyone and everyone who wants it during the actual beta test timeframe itself? When I read at first, it seemed to me that it wasn't going to be on every box in the first wave - just select boxes. That being said, I'm going to head out today to see if I can get more information. Now, I'm under the impression that the beta isn't going to be limited from a player count stance at all. That the word "limited" is only being used as a catalyst to get people hyped and to sell other products. Smart move, but if I didn't like the game I would be thinking twice about it. I think, after the demo in January, there are going to be a lot of people who will climb on the Crackdown bandwagon. I really feel like it's going to make GTA and Saint's Row look meh. I don't know why Microsoft doesn't have that $425 Xbox 360 pro package I mentioned before. Surely, people like Siege and Ben would consider it at that point if they had the resources available.

#33 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:27 PM

An Interview with Real Time Worlds

http://www.xboxyde.c...ws_3916_en.html

Edit:

I just read this interview. Wow, I'm impressed. I think the excellent co-op in Gears is about to get 1-uped. If Crackdown is as good as they are implying, I'm sold. The game sounds really, really cool.

Edited by Valor, 28 December 2006 - 03:44 PM.

#34 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

im gettin dat shit!

#35 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:05 PM

im gettin dat shit!

Same here, except replace the word "shit" with "carefully crafted piece of interactive entertainment". Seriously Ivan, don't buy shit. I made that mistake long ago and have learned from it.

Worst $20,000 I've ever conned my family into spending, for sure.

#36 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:38 PM

Glad to see a change of heart here. This game is going to be awesome. Take a look at this footage of coop. Now imagine coordinating movements across a city like that on Xbox Live. One guy is racing through the streets, the other guy is darting from rooftop to rooftop. It's going to be a blast.

#37 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:20 AM

Seriously Ivan, don't buy shit. I made that mistake long ago and have learned from it.

Unless you are a farmer with intimate knowledge of the magical properties of the type of shit of which you are about to make a purchase.

And, uh, the jumping thing really gets me going. When a game does it right, it get that feeling in my stomach like I'm really going down a hill. Tis weird, indeed.

#38 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:56 PM

Crackdown box art first look

Posted Image

#39 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:23 PM

:laugh:

#40 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:41 PM

Crackdown looks like it will be quite the investment. Especially after I wait til I can find it used someplace for $20...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq