Photo

Destiny

• Please log in to reply
1210 replies to this topic

#61 Crucified

Crucified
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

This games looks very interesting. Is anyone getting this on day one?

#62 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

Now that I've watched vid I'm more interested in this than I was. I'll almost certainly pick it up.

Here's some Twitch livestreams of it for anyone interested:

http://www.reddit.co...aming_schedule/

#63 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

Here's a good link with a general overview and it has at least 3 multiplayer videos embedded within.

http://www.ign.com/a...te-with-destiny

#64 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

This games looks very interesting. Is anyone getting this on day one?

I'm definitely getting this, but more for the Campaign mode. I don't have any hope that a Sage multiplayer game will be by bag of tea.

#65 Crucified

Crucified
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

The campaign is supporting a large co-op system ,right? It's not exactly a MMO but something of that nature ?

#66 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

Just saw the multiplayer vid, and it looks like everything I don't like. Crazy magic abilities, weapon unlocks and leveling for loadouts, ADS, and sprint. The only thing positive is that the kill time looks more like Halo and not the quick death like COD.

#67 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

I watched some random Destiny alpha videos, the game looks a lot better to me now. Bungie really wasn't doing the greatest job at showcasing Destiny up to this point. I might get it on the 360 for now. I don't see myself getting one of the newer consoles until 2015 at the earliest. 

EDIT: unless the 360 version runs like crap

Edited by Merguson, 10 June 2014 - 02:30 PM.

#68 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,964 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

MP apparently plays like CoD, good thing MCC (I like how the acronym is the same regardless of which word you use last) is here to save us on the MP front.

#69 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,964 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

Did anyone else get into the PS4 alpha?

Downloading it right now...

Edited by Drew, 13 June 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#70 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

Now I'm wishing I had. I saw you and deftech on earlier. How is it, the multiplayer especially?

#71 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

Phreak, do you need a code?

#72 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Okay, so my super short review from the alpha. I didn't play a ton of the PvP stuff but it seemed like it could use alittle balancing, playing as a Warlock with it's rocket launcher style power made me feel alittle OP especially while also having the constant jetpack. However the PvE stuff is great, if anyone is a fan of both Halo and Guild Wars they need to play this game, I reached max level in a single day, it's going to ruin my life and I couldn't be happier.

Example for the PvP: Playing territories style game type, jetpacked into territory, took it, enemies showed up, jetpacked, rocket launcher powered them, triple kill, felt like a bit of a dick.

#73 KrAzY WiSh

KrAzY WiSh
  • 347 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:13 PM

I was really excited about this game and was planning to buy my PS 4 for it but now it's looking like I won't be able to afford to. Is anyone going to get this for Xbone as Bungie seems to have shown no love at all for the platform with this game, it's all Sony, Sony, Sony. Has the playstation exclusive content been revealed yet? And do you think it will be anything worthwhile?
GT: KrAzY WiSh

#74 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,964 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:37 AM

It will likely be an extra map or a couple of unique dungeons... On top of likely better visuals/performance for the PS4 version, it's a no-brainer for me.

Game is fucking awesome, maxed Titan earlier, and I'm getting close on the Hunter. When does the alpha end?

Also, anyone know how much Glimmer you lose when you die?

Edited by Drew, 14 June 2014 - 12:38 AM.

#75 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

Phreak, do you need a code?

Please.

#76 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

PM'ed. Let me know if there are any issues with it.

#77 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,964 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

About to max my last class...

It would be really nice to let the player toggle the flashlight on and off whenever they wanted to, as there are some extremely dark areas where the flashlight is not enabled and it makes it a real pain to explore every nook and cranny when you can barely see.

I like that you don't get a minimap from the very beginning, but maybe when you do the survey missions you can start to piece together some semblance of a map? Maybe not one that's available outside of menus (or like a faint overlay that pops up when you summon your Ghost), but it's a huge pain trying to keep everything straight in your head when the area is so large. I found my way to the original E3 trailer area last night (the highway with all of the derelict cars), but I've been wandering for hours today and I can't seem to find it again...

#78 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

PM'ed. Let me know if there are any issues with it.

I did get it. Thank you.

So a few thoughts on the alpha. I don't care much for single player stuff, even coop, so I mainly wanted to know what the Crucible was like. Despite that, I will say that the loot system they have gives even a single player hater like me a reason to do some strikes (boss fights) from time to time. Also, the map is freaking huge (and as I understand this is just one of three for Earth and there are six planets, so tons of content). It really does feel like an MMO with strangers people getting instanced in with you (actually aside from number of players this is no different from how games people do consider MMOs like Guild Wars 2 do it). Peter Dinklage's voice is weird. Either he didn't give a damn or is trying too hard to sound like a robot, but it doesn't work, which is a shame cause he's talented. Oh, and I really like the setting, there's a lot they can do with it.

I really like Crucible. There's two maps, one on the moon and one on Earth. The latter has no vehicles and very well could pass for a Call of Duty map. There's lots of close quarters action with this, I like the theme, I just wish there was more spacing. The moon map does have vehicles and it is what makes you feel like you are playing Halo. There are little vehicles called pikes which act pretty much just like ghosts (cool Star Warsy sound effect on this one, too) and bigger ones called interceptors which are similar but fire rockets instead of that plasma shit. This brings back memories of vehicle domination that games which have vehicles like Battlefield don't have. In Battlefield since you've got 32 players on a side and maybe 16 of them have a good vehicle counter there is only so much a vehicle can do. But in Destiny the best counters are either turrets placed around the map, other vehicles, or heavy weapons, which the ammo only spawns for occasionally. You can go on some length streaks in the interceptor if you are careful and its a lot of fun. I'm wondering if some of the other maps will have something like a banshee or a tank or other familiar vehicles.

The gunplay feels a lot like Halo 3, the main difference being the addition of iron sights (or as others have said CoD with a higher time to kill). It also reminds me a bit of Killzone, but I'm guessing that is more a result of the Killlzone devs being influenced by Halo than the other way around (I'm also reminded of Shadowrun, not in gunplay but as a whole, I can't help but to wonder if the MS connection has had any bleed over at some point in the years since). I don't like the grenades much, of course only Halo 1 had those baseballs you could throw across the map, but the grenades just seem limp and the explosions aren't satisfying to me. There really isn't an analogue to armor abilities here. Usually 1-3 times per map you get a chance to use your "special", but it is basically just a very limited opportunity to use a powerful attack (the warlock gets a ball of electricity they can throw, the titan gets to pound dirt, and the hunter gets a golden gun, which apparently unlike the other two you get more than 1 shot with, but I haven't tried it). The warlock's attack I could count on for a kill more often. Once I did the titan's special with 2 enemies right in front of me, but they both had jumped when I did it and therefore neither got hurt. On the other hand, I had a bad ass moment where I saw some dude run to an interceptor, I did the ground slam right next to it after he got in and it was instantly dead.

The 3 classes do get different perks, but I don't feel like they impact gameplay too much or make it too variable to the point that it isn't fun. It does give you something to work for which is fun, but I haven't unlocked that much to know for sure that it doesn't have a detrimental effect on the game. 

There's a lot of movement on the y-axis with double jumps and jet packs. If you felt like the jetpack in Reach screwed up the gameplay formula in Halo cause enemies could attack from multiple angles instead of a few entrances/exits, that exists here, too. I didn't like it much to start with (maybe cause I sucked), but it bothers me less now. I could do without it though. 

Overall I think its a lot of fun and I found myself playing for hours which I haven't had a lot of fun doing in a shooter for a long time. Gotta be honest, though, getting sniped out of a pike just made me nostalgic for getting sniped out of a ghost and makes me even more excited for Halo 1 this fall. If that wasn't coming I could see myself entertained for awhile playing this. Worth pointing out is there is a class of weapon called a hand cannon which is basically just a pistol and close enough to the magnum to intrigue me, but either I just suck with it or the other weapons are just better.

This formula could've been Halo 4 and I don't think it would've felt completely out of place. I'm struck by how much Bungie over the years takes each franchise and tweaks a little here and a little there to where they are new but still familiar (Marathon -> Halo -> Destiny). 

#79 KrAzY WiSh

KrAzY WiSh
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:14 AM

I decided this morning to pre order the game for the Xbone so I could check the game out during next month's beta. When I got to my local retailer, GAME in the UK I was told they are no longer supplying beta codes for pre orders. Is it just them or have I left it too late to take advantage of this offer?
GT: KrAzY WiSh

#80 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,964 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

Just use Amazon, they have endless codes and you don't pay a dime until the game releases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq