The Terminals

Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#101 Maj Williams

Maj Williams
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:52 AM

I find the dialogue in Halo 2 to be especially interesting, being that Contact Harvest revealed how Truth and the other two hierarchs knew about humanity's claim to the status of 'Reclaimer' since the very beginning - as it was the reason for the war in the first place.

It definitely answers a lot of questions I think all of us story buffs had for sure.

I am a new member, and I have to say I greatly respect what you've done here. Great work with your blog and the forums! I run a fellow Halo website (gruntsrus.com), and I'm really happy with what you've done here and love reading all your speculations. I look forward to joining your community!

#102 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:25 AM

Welcome Maj.

#103 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:15 AM

I am a new member, and I have to say I greatly respect what you've done here. Great work with your blog and the forums! I run a fellow Halo website (gruntsrus.com), and I'm really happy with what you've done here and love reading all your speculations. I look forward to joining your community!

Welcome aboard Maj. Good to have you.

My Gamertag is NJ x Falk0r, send me a Friend Request so we can play.

#104 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

A hardy welcome from myself as well. Glad you enjoyed the article. The third and final terminal article is already written and I'm working some of its topical aspects as we speak. It should be this upcoming week. Hopefully it works well.

#105 Maj Williams

Maj Williams
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:18 PM

A hardy welcome from myself as well. Glad you enjoyed the article. The third and final terminal article is already written and I'm working some of its topical aspects as we speak. It should be this upcoming week. Hopefully it works well.

Thanks guys for the welcome! I think I check the blog at least once daily... hah

Its nice to see that your community seems to be comprised of a bunch of older, wizened folks in the Halo community. I myself am a working professional with a college degree (not TOO old though, I'm 24), and it is refreshing to read intelligent dialogue in your forums and well written articles in your blog.

I'm a huge huge story buff and have read all the novels and delved deeply into the depths of the Halo universe at large. If you need help with anything theory-wise, I'm always available for help. But I'm sure you already have quite enough help as it is.

More back on topic though, vis-?-vis your write-up, it would seem that Bungie is taking the stance of a Darwin-based theory of evolution with regards to the emergence of sentience in all worlds capable of supporting it. Coupled with the acknowledgment by Staten in Contact Harvest that Humans basically ARE Forerunners, or direct descendants thereof, how is it that we as humans share so many traits with many species here on earth?

Do Forerunners also physically share our hairless bipedal half-monkey bodies? And yet are capable of these eons-long lifespans? It remains unclear to me.

#106 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:36 PM

Oh, yeah, Bungie is absolutely using the Darwinian theory of evolution in their story. I'm not sure if anything else would really work in their story. And what comment in Contact Harvest are you speaking of? Based on the Librarian's comments in the Terminals, it is pretty much confirmed that humanity was chosen to inherit the Forerunner's technologies, as opposed to humanity being direct physiological descendants of the Forerunners.

And I believe that it has been stated that the Forerunners assumed that the Flood are extra-galactic in origin, due to their physiological make-up - which would lead us to believe that the traits shared by many creatures on Earth are possibly due to the nature of this particular galaxy's physical makeup. Perhaps the material make-up of the planets, or the make-up of the stars, or the radiation emitted from this galaxy's stars - whatever - has ultimately guided evolution down the only path able to sustain life, a path which has resulted in many shared traits - traits necessary for life on this planet, in this galaxy; traits such as eyes, organs, fur/hair, legs. These are, of course, viable arguments for the theory of evolution, and could, of course, also be used to argue for the theory of evolution in Bungie's universe. But, in their case, it is further strengthened by the Forerunner, who, again, assumed the Flood to be extra-galactic in origin due to the species wildy different biology.

And I don't believe we have any information at all on what the Forerunners might look like. Voc might have more information on this.

#107 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:03 PM

Posted Image

A great ending to the series. Thanks Jeremy for your hard work, you've done a wonderful job of facilitating Bungie's epic story.

#108 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:43 PM

Posted Image

A great ending to the series. Thanks Jeremy for your hard work, you've done a wonderful job of facilitating Bungie's epic story.

QFT

#109 Maj Williams

Maj Williams
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

QFT

amen broseph.

Well done voc! You were even mentioned on the BWU! Thats big time! I'm privileged to be a part of this community :D

#110 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

Well done voc! You were even mentioned on the BWU! Thats big time! I'm privileged to be a part of this community :D

Get on and play with us man, my gamertag's in my sig.

#111 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

http://haloterms.bungie.org/

#112 Fiend62o

Fiend62o
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:45 PM

Does anybody notice the similarity between the Ark of the Forerunner's and Noah's Ark? The Forerunner's used their Ark in a plan to Index and save all species to repopulate the galaxy after defeating the FLOOD. Just like Noah used his Ark to save all of the species on Earth from a FLOOD. Think Bungie did this on purpose?? Also, the article was amazing. Thanks.

Edited by Fiend62o, 06 May 2008 - 09:50 PM.

#113 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:23 PM

Does anybody notice the similarity between the Ark of the Forerunner's and Noah's Ark? The Forerunner's used their Ark in a plan to Index and save all species to repopulate the galaxy after defeating the FLOOD. Just like Noah used his Ark to save all of the species on Earth from a FLOOD. Think Bungie did this on purpose??

Also, the article was amazing. Thanks.

Hence why it's called, "The Ark"?

Yes they did it on purpose.

#114 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:18 AM

Think Bungie did this on purpose??

There are dozens of parallels between the stories and characters told in the Halo trilogy and the Judeo-Christian view of the old world, as well as other religious and philosophical viewpoints. It's very intentional and effectively done in my opinion. I don't think it's Bungie admonishing a certain worldview over another, but rather putting good use to the elements of faith, myth and legend in our own culture.

#115 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:52 AM

I don't think it's Bungie admonishing a certain worldview over another, but rather putting good use to the elements of faith, myth and legend in our own culture.

There are countless similarities woven into the fabric of all our collective myth and religion. A whirlwind creation. Messianic figures. Salvation. Fate. Determinism. It lends a certain credibility to Bungie's tale that allusions are made to these familiar themes and archetypes.

From the standpoint of the Halo fiction, our religions could actually be time-bleared interpretations of the Forerunner legacy. So, the Ark facility and it's purpose is not an analog of Noah's Ark, but rather the opposite. It not only works to solidify the fiction in terms of believability, but it adds an immediate theme that we can all instantly comprehend, one that has been with us for as long as we can remember, no matter the culture in which we were raised.

#116 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:37 AM

From the standpoint of the Halo fiction, our religions could actually be time-bleared interpretations of the Forerunner legacy.

/My thoughts exactly.

I've always held that in the Halo fiction, the myths, legends and even religious elements that coexist with our world (Noah's Ark, for example) are not variants of the original tales - separately-related, but they are the tales themselves being told without the opacity of history's distortion.

#117 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:12 AM

/My thoughts exactly.

I've always held that in the Halo fiction, the myths, legends and even religious elements that coexist with our world (Noah's Ark, for example) are not variants of the original tales - but separately-related, but they are the tales themselves being told without the opacity of history's distortion.

We see the same phenomenon play out in the Covenant's distortion of their predecessor's chronicles, another unfortunate commonality that exists as religion requires interpretation at its foundation. When that interpretation becomes self-serving, it's no longer spiritual, but rather egotistical and dangerous. I love how the Halo story explores that theme alongside the standard Messiah and Holy Fool archetypes. It's not a blind invoking of one religion or another - it's more an examination of the beauty and the folly that are to be found in the inexorable quest for immortality. That theme is embedded into the DNA of all the characters as well, whether Human, Alien, Artificial, or Forerunner.

#118 Trevor

Trevor
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

Hi all. I just wanted to point out something interesting I noticed. Didact, in Terminal 7, states that "We're activating the [destruction arrayed matrix], our shameful last resort." I kinda thought that "destruction arrayed matrix" sounded kinda forced, and then realized what I think is the reason: the abbreviation of destruction arrayed matrix is DAM. See that? They ended up using a "dam" to put a final stop the "flood". I just found that kinda interesting. Anyone else see this?

#119 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:07 PM

That, sir, would be the WORST PUN IN BUNGIE HISTORY!

#120 Trevor

Trevor
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:50 AM

Maybe it was accidental, I don't know. I just had to point it out though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq