• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#41 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:07 PM

I'll try and add some constructive criticism: Halo 2 can suck my dick. The reason Lockout is considered THE map for Halo 2 is because it's one of the very few maps that doesn't completely destroy the fun with stupid design decisions- power weapons, disappearing bullets, and the myriad of other issues. 3 more days, may I just last 3 more days for GoW.

Edited by Vanwadilion, 03 November 2006 - 10:09 PM.

#42 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:06 AM

Halo PC was garbage? Even playing on the shitty servers available to those who played bootleg copies of the game, it was still more fun than I ever remember Halo 2 online being. There's something of the order out of chaos feel in a game of pistol CTF on Hang-em-High with sixteen people on opposite sides of the map three-shotting eachother left and right and slowly, a team makes its way across and begins moving the flag. Even in complete radio silence and with the lag issues inherent in such a mess, strategy emerged, badassery ensued. Those moments and that potential more than make up for network code issues, which, in my experience, were minimal. And, I did have fun, from time to time, with H2, but never like Halo PC or OG Halo on a LAN.

#43 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:24 AM

Ivan, I gotta be honest with you, I don't understand your argument. Like, not even a little bit.

Get ready for this: Halo 1 was not perfect--- however, the core gameplay mechanics sure were, and that's why people can't get enough of it.

HOLEE SHIT, is Syracuse talking about problems with Halo 1?
Network Code
Host has an advantage, and the code is certainly not optimized or set up for WAN play.
The Difference: In Halo 1, the host has to lead his pistol less, etc. but has the same abilities as every other player on the map. In Halo 2, the host has a myriad of different advantages, including the ability to grenade jump, bullets that travel further, etc. And anyone who has played offhost knows how frustrating it is that what they see on their screen is "predictive" because of melees that make the noise but don't connect or stickies that blow up after they die... and don't kill the person. NEVER, in 5 years of playing Halo 1 have I heard the sound of a melee connect without receiving credit for the damage or stuck someone only to watch it explode and not even affect them... EVEN in all of the lag on XBC.

The Turn glitch
Being knocked back by a grenade while shooting, or jumping and turning more than 180 degrees will cause your shots to shoot 90 degrees away from where you're pointing your reticule. This is a big problem.
THE DIFFERENCE: The bullets don't magically disappear halfway across the map, so that as soon as you land, no matter where you're aiming, you'll hit there, even if its across Blood Gulch- the same can not be said for our favorite sequel, obviously.

Infinite Ammo and Backpack Reloading
Self-explanatory. There is a reload trick that gives people infinite ammo. This is dangerous to the point of breaking the balance, but it is hard to pull off, and anyone you meet on XBC won't do it. In addition, backpack reloading kind of messes up the pacing because you theoretically never have to actually reload.
THE DIFFERENCE: Admittedly, the reload tricks are a dangerous flaw, but Halo 2 has a lot MORE of them, providing players with the ability to, among other things, shoot twice as fast with their BR, then have it automatically reload in the background while they use a secondary, or throw a grenade, then continuously reload their weapon while still firing it.

Vehicles barely have to touch you to kill you
This is true. It sucks sometimes, but you know what? Vehicle and infantry combat are SO MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE in this game, because the infantry actually has a chance.
THE DIFFERENCE: I will gladly sacrifice a few deaths because of making a little bit of contact with a vehicle for the ability to shoot the occupants with my pistol and kill them before they get across the map, or for the ability to grenade the vehicle and see immediate and devastating results... 11 plasma grenades to kill a Wraith in Halo 2, I believe. Sounds like I'd better get to work on mah skills... with the homing rocket launcher...

NOTE: This next section are complaints that many people have, though I don't agree with them.
Double Melee
Not intended by Lungie, but heaven forbid there be a 'melee combo' of sorts (sound familiar? H2 development anyone?) that rewards skilled players for connecting with two melees in quick succession.
THE DIFFERENCE: There is a double melee in H2 as well, BXB or BYYB and I guess even BXR falls under this category for its instant kill power... all of those lunge. Room's starting to spin...

The pistol is the only weapon used
Perhaps at the intermediate levels of the learning curve, this might be true, but at the bottom level, n00bs are more than happy to tool around with an AR or needler, and at the upper level, the pistol is the weapon that gets the good players to the power weapons, the fall-back weapon for players using everything from the PR to the sniper. As far as I can tell, this complaint is only ever voiced by people who can't use the pistol, and as a result don't understand the power it carries to protect them from spawn traps and power weapons.
THE DIFFERENCE: At least there is a go-to weapon, whereas when choosing a loadout in Halo 2, you just have to cross your fingers that you won't meet a person with the Scissors to your Paper... fuck that, the pistol was jack of all trades, master of none, and unlike BR firefights (which NEVER last longer than 6 shots), pistol firefights were no sure thing, and could take multiple clips against an opponent who knows how to strafe and use cover. A lot of GameFAQs people like Ivan and Supa like to make the argument that if you're good enough, you can kill any player with any weapon, and that if both players have the same weapon, the more skilled will almost always win. To that I say, pick up a PR or dual-wield some SMGs and take on a sniper or semi-competent sword guy. Wait? Didn't you say you were better than them? You're not even touching that sniper, and you can't even get the sword guy's shields down before he lunges at you... To the second argument I say, ha. ha. ha. don't make me laugh- this isn't even close to true... lunges? Did you think you were going to get the first punch in? Oh. Sorry. Not anymore... Things like "getting the jump on your opponent" or "gaining the upper hand" are now tied more to whether or not the broken melee system decides whether you hit your opponent or not. I've had games where I lunged behind Gamble once, twice, thrice then he heard the whoosh of my punches and turned and no-scoped me in the face. You're right... he should totally have won that firefight... and if you honestly believe that, you probably like men sticking hard objects in your ass. One more example and then I'm out... the shotgun? It could take one hit to kill, it could take 3, it just depends on what the randomizer decides your bullets are going to do today, and even on a LAN the host has an advantage... Don't act like you've never gotten the first shot in in a shotguns game, maybe even the second as well, only to have your opponent turn around and kill you with one shot. Great stuff, Bungle.

In conclusion, what Vanwadilion said... Halo 1 wins, by a longshot, because Halo 2 missed its lunge melee at the start of the fight.

#44 Supa Ben

Supa Ben
  • Veteran
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:43 AM

LOL believe it or not I do like Halo 1 better than Halo 2 I don't take almost any aspect of Halo 2 Multiplayer seriously anymore nor have I for a long time. I play Halo 2 for the community I have with it and thats about all. Matchmaking just doesn't work if your by yourself. Plenty off times I've had about 3/4 of my teams kills in slayer but we've lost. When I get on I'll usually just sign on to see who's on then sign off, or maybe JUMP a little. But the whole competitiveness on Xbox Live is dead and it won't come back. Now Halo 2 on a lan can be pretty fun, but thats still mostly because your with other people not the game. I've played Halo 1 probably more than Halo 2 and it will always be fun. Downloading XBC again now.

#45 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:54 PM

Halo 2 on a LAN is... still Halo 2. And gay. I just tried it. 3 games and I had to quit. Terrible, awful stuff.

#46 Supa Ben

Supa Ben
  • Veteran
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:58 PM

On XBC if anyone wants to join *SupaBen

#47 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:49 PM

Ivan, I gotta be honest with you, I don't understand your argument. Like, not even a little bit....

What's there not to understand. You wish the Legendary sku of H3 would come with a copy of HCE with online play. They won't do it. HCE will not go online in it's current form because, *gasp* it's not an online game. XBOX Live didn't even exist when it was developed, therefore they didn't design anything to be online including the network code. I wish they would just take the exact game, throw an online interface over it, and sell it to all you guys so you could play it to death and see how shitty it would work, and then you could find stuff to bitch about in a "Why I hate HCE" thread after you play it as much as we've played H2.

I don't hold the lack of online play in HCE against Bungie, because HCE is still a game I love and online console play was a non-issue when it came out. Today, online play is a must have in a fps game. I'm a social gamer, so I really enjoy playing online and with other people and that's why I enjoy H2 so much. It's not as good as HCE in the gameplay department, but it gives me the online play against 7 other people without splitting my screen, great maps and an easy interface where it's effortless to get a great group of skilled and cool individuals such as the people in my clan to play many matches. That's what's more fun about H2 to me. I'm more than willing to live with the differences in H2 vs HCE because H2 is still by far the best online game, and I still have a lot of fun with it to this day because I can appreciate what it gives me which I've described above. As sorry as it can be compared to HCE, it's still the closest to HCE against all the other games we've played and it's still Halo which means the basic premise and rules are the same. I still can only carry two weapons, 4 grenades of each type, limited ammo, etc., etc. In an era where you could carry countless weapons with no restrictions or weaknesses, these are the things that were considered genius when HCE came out in terms of balancing and gameplay.

A lot of GameFAQs people like Ivan

Man, I don't disagree with the things you point out are problems in H2. I also want unlimited range, no lunge melees, better bullet speed, etc. Let's keep a level of respect and don't make me out to be the enemy. I'm just saying that the problems aren't as big of a deal to me as they are to you guys, and that's because you've played H2 to death and are tired of it and NOT because the game is that bad. Think about it. What game is better all-around online. We've tried many and none have dethroned H2 as the preferred online game because none have been better. Cuse, you know that better than anyone else. The only thing you criticize more than H2 are other online games with their shitty menus, non-existent weapon balancing, unplayable online sessions, etc.

Halo 2 is the best ONLINE game.

#48 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:25 PM

^^^For another 2 days

#49 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:59 PM

Cuse only lashes out because he trusted Halo2 - he let it inside, and he feels betrayed by that bitch. I understand...I understand...

#50 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:52 PM

^^^For another 2 days

GoW will be great but let's not get carried away, it won't be nearly as good. Eventually these guys will find problems with it and bitch until they don't play it anymore.

#51 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:21 PM

^^^For another 2 days

GoW is not going to beat Halo 2. It will be close with the online co-op, but you have to go in ranked matches alone. The only thing that’s going to match/beat Halo 2 in online is Halo 3. It will be nice to get a break from Halo 2, but I’ll probably end up going back to it.

#52 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:42 AM

GoW is not going to beat Halo 2. [...] The only thing that?s going to match/beat Halo 2 in online is Halo 3. It will be nice to get a break from Halo 2, but I?ll probably end up going back to it.

My sentiments exactly Gamble. GoW will be a lot of fun for a while, but it's no Halo killer.

I also agree with Ivan that Halo 2 has no real competition in the online department. It is leagues better than any Xbox game online. Not only that, but it's better than any game so far of the next-generation online. I think Halo 2 is an all around blast. It's great fun to play again and again online. There is a reason that it was so critically acclaimed, it sold so many millions of copies and why there have been billions of matches played over XBL. It is currently the most popular Xbox 1 game on XBL and it probably is the most popular game on XBL in general. MS has now separated Xbox 1 games from 360 games in their XBL popularity listing. I believe that this was done, in part, to hide a little embarassment that Halo 2 continues to crush all competition, even from, the shiny, new 360 games.

I loved Halo 1 and I love have 2. I don't think Bungle, Lungie or whoever, created a monster. If I was on a desert island and could only choose 1 game to accompany me, it would be Halo 2 (with XBL of course).:cool:

I would say that as a gamer, I have some skill. At times, I have held my own against the best players in the clan. I think it is unreasonable and dishonest to say that Halo 2 takes no skill. If it takes no skill, why do Sharpe and Gamble always need top be separated into captains? Why do Dual and I usually place near the top in post-game stats? It's because the most skilled players consistently do better than the less skilled players. It's because the game takes skill. If it was as random as some say it is, we would expect a noob to beat Gamble half the time. I'm sorry but if you spawn a noob with rockets and sword and spawn them near a sniper rifle and spawn gamble with a SMG and nades, he'll still win. He'll kill the noob, steal his weapons and set up pwn shop. Maybe the noob would get a kill or two with a sword lunge, just like a noob might get a kill or two in Halo CE with rockets. However, Gamble would neutralize the weapon advantage through his skill.

Why does MLG team Final Boss consistently dominate? Of couse the answer is that they are some of the most skilled players at Halo 2. If halo 2 was skill-less, random encounters then I would have as much of a chance to be a 1v1 champ as Karma. But I can't because I don't have his skills (or dreadlocks). Let's be realistic, Halo 2 takes skill to be a good, competitive player. It takes a lot of skill to be a great player. Candy Land is random and skill-less, Halo 2 is not.

I personally, have some gripes about Halo 2. I probably prefer the Halo 1 Campaign to Halo 2's. I prefer various gameplay elements in Halo 1 that are not in Halo 2, etc. However, in my opinion these games are very similar and are cut from the same (wicked sweet) cloth.

With Halo 3 on the horizon I am not anticipating a disasterous blunder. In fact, I am expecting the greast online game ever.

O Chief, why can't I quit you?

#53 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:03 PM

It will be nice to get a break from Halo 2, but I?ll probably end up going back to it.
-Gamble

I think I just threw up a little.

If it takes no skill, why do Sharpe and Gamble always need top be separated into captains? Why do Dual and I usually place near the top in post-game stats? It's because the most skilled players consistently do better than the less skilled players. It's because the game takes skill. If it was as random as some say it is, we would expect a noob to beat Gamble half the time. I'm sorry but if you spawn a noob with rockets and sword and spawn them near a sniper rifle and spawn gamble with a SMG and nades, he'll still win. He'll kill the noob, steal his weapons and set up pwn shop. Maybe the noob would get a kill or two with a sword lunge, just like a noob might get a kill or two in Halo CE with rockets. However, Gamble would neutralize the weapon advantage through his skill.

No offense to Sharpe or Gamble, but they're the best at whoring the power weapons. You think Sharpe or Gamble will ever bother killing anyone with an smg? They're not stupid, they know how the game is played. I rarely get killed by either of them with a starting weapon (not because I'm good, but because they rarely carry them). With Sharpe I either get sworded or shotgunned, and with Gamble I get sniped. They're both really good with the power weapons, but they still will have a distinct advantage over any opponent, no matter how good, with the weapons they choose to carry. Don't believe me? Here's just a quick sample of one of Sharpe's last games- LINK. Notice which weapons he uses? I'm not saying Halo 2 requires absolutely no skill at all, but it's not even comparable to the skill required in Halo 1.

Why does MLG team Final Boss consistently dominate? Of couse the answer is that they are some of the most skilled players at Halo 2. If halo 2 was skill-less, random encounters then I would have as much of a chance to be a 1v1 champ as Karma. But I can't because I don't have his skills (or dreadlocks). Let's be realistic, Halo 2 takes skill to be a good, competitive player. It takes a lot of skill to be a great player. Candy Land is random and skill-less, Halo 2 is not.

The reason Final Boss is so good has little to do with individual skill so much as it has to do with superior teamwork, strategy, and consistency. At that level of competition most of the pros are at a fairly similar playing level (those that are considered 1337 have mastered glitches as Syracuse has mentioned, because they've all already mastered the basic gameplay); you'll rarely see a BR fight go for more than 4 shots and almost all their grenades are spot on. I've followed the Halo 2 pro scene quite a bit, and from what I've seen, a lot of the current pros could have never been good enough to make it if Halo 2 was more like Halo 1. Many of the newer pros never really even played Halo 1, but they're good enough to hang with the likes of the Ogres in Halo 2; pathetic.

However, in my opinion these games are very similar and are cut from the same (wicked sweet) cloth.

I still don't 100% understand this. If someone took the "makeup" off Halo 2 that makes it look similar to Halo 1- the weapon models, the artistic design, the settings, etc., and I just played the game for what it is, there's no way in hell I would have ever guessed that what I was playing was a sequel to H:CE. What's the same? The physics are different, the aiming is different, the melee system is different, the jumping is different, the weapons are different- and most of the items just listed are different in a bad way- so why should I consider this a quality "sequel" to what I consider the best multiplayer game of all time? Not to say that I don't like Halo 2, I really love it in a lot of ways. It's probably my second or third favorite multiplayer game, but it's a distant second or third. I still have faith in Bungie in regards to Halo 3. Even though they seem to begrudgingly listen to the community, they do still listen as evidence by Halo 1.1, the advent of Team Harcord, and the multiple fixes they've made to the matchmaking gametypes- BR starts, different weapons sets, etc. They've made Halo 2 about as good as possible within the framework they built. It's looking like Bungie's trying to go back to their roots a little more with Halo 3, and even though it won't be Halo 1, with the improved graphics and the online play, it will be close enough for me.

#54 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:59 PM

I think I just threw up a little.

Why would you throw up, when you admit that Halo 2 is, "probably my second or third favorite multiplayer game." This is why people like Ivan think that some of you bash Halo 2 so harshly, not because of the merits of the game itself, but for other various reasons. I mean, how can you jokingly say that you will puke if someone goes back to Halo 2 in one breath and in the next say that it is among the greatest (top 3) multiplayer games of all time? It seems a little inconsistent.

No offense to Sharpe or Gamble, but they're the best at whoring the power weapons. You think Sharpe or Gamble will ever bother killing anyone with an smg? They're not stupid, they know how the game is played.

I think they could and do kill will other weapons if the situation requires them to. Sure they go to the power weapons. The difference is that they have the skill to capture those weapons and to then use them effectively.

The reason Final Boss is so good has little to do with individual skill so much as it has to do with superior teamwork, strategy, and consistency.

I really disagree here. There can be no teamwork skill if there is no indivual skill first. The individual members of Final Boss are all highly skilled, stand alone players. Otherwise they would not be champions. As a team they gel very well and perhaps the resulting total is greater than the sum of the individual parts. Either way, they are highly skilled individually and that's the only reason they even have a chance as a team.

I still don't 100% understand this. If someone took the "makeup" off Halo 2 that makes it look similar to Halo 1- the weapon models, the artistic design, the settings, etc., and I just played the game for what it is, there's no way in hell I would have ever guessed that what I was playing was a sequel to H:CE.

Some similarities between Halo 2 and Halo 1 that I can think of:

1) The visuals (already mentioned). The characters, the structures and environments, the weapons and the entire universe in general.

2) The control scheme. Dual analog movement, jump, melee, pick-up weapons/activate, switch grenades, flashlight and swap weapons, all function in butter-smooth Halo fashion in both iterations.

3) Two weapon set-up. One weapon in your hands and one in reserve. Halo 2 adds dual-wielding to the mix which varies this formula slightly with a possible dual weapon combo in hand and one weapon in reserve.

4) Grenades. Frag and plasma. Plasmas still stick to infantry and vehicles and are more deadly. Frag still has a shorter timer, is weaker and takes down shields in one direct hit.

5) Shields. All players are equipped with recharging shields. Shields are depleted when the player takes damage and are restored if the player can escape and rest for a short period.

6) The weapons. Not only do many of the weapons look the same as their Halo 1 counterparts, they also function the same. For example, one sniper headshot kills an opponent (4 bullets per clip), a plasma overcharge shot depletes shields, needlers are still garbage etc., etc.

7) Melees. Every weapon has a melee attack.

8) Vehicles. Hogs, Ghosts and the Banshee return for more vehicle combat with slight variations.

I'll stop there but I could easily go on. If you stripped away the visuals and swapped them for something else, the game would still drip of Halo. There would be definately be an outcry of angered Halo fans that gameX ripped off Halo. I still stand behind the statement that Halo 1 and Halo 2 are both very much "Halo."

Edited by Valor, 05 November 2006 - 01:00 PM.

#55 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

No offense to Sharpe or Gamble

I pick up the smg in MLG game types, and use the battle rifle more. How many times do you get on, once a month? That's why I rarely kill you with a starting weapon. If any of you want to snipe in the game ask me and I will give it to you. Are most you going to kill as many people as me, or keep it away from the enemy like I do? Probably not, but lets look at one of my last games.

Posted Image

I have maybe 3 or 4 snipes. Then only time I used the sniper rifle, was when I killed the guy with it. What are the rest of my kills? SMG, battle rifle, grenades, and beat downs. What does that get me?

Posted Image

Sharpe had way more snipes then me, and used the shotgun.

I'll admit the game does a lot of the work. With all the help you still can suck with any weapon. I can kill a sword guy by beating him down, side stepping him, or shooting him fast enough. I played Halo 1 yesterday on xbc with all the lag and still had a lot of fun. If you told me to pick one and stick with it until Halo 3, it would have to be Halo 2 just because of the online. I like the single player and multiplayer of Halo 1 better, but I'll take a good Halo 2 game with online over that.

#56 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:35 PM

Why would you throw up, when you admit that Halo 2 is, "probably my second or third favorite multiplayer game." This is why people like Ivan think that some of you bash Halo 2 so harshly, not because of the merits of the game itself, but for other various reasons. I mean, how can you jokingly say that you will puke if someone goes back to Halo 2 in one breath and in the next say that it is among the greatest (top 3) multiplayer games of all time? It seems a little inconsistent.

We've been playing Halo 2 for two years now. Most of us have invested over 400 dollars in next gen systems, and yet we still spend the majority of our time playing a glitchy, last gen game. Now that we have two great looking next gen titles coming out (Rainbow Six, Gears), the mention of going back to Halo 2 before the new games are even out, causes me a little nausea. Games, like most things, have expiration dates and they begin to feel a little dated (even the exceptional Halo 1), and Halo 2's expiry was about a year ago.

QUOTE(Vanwadilion @ Nov 5 2006, 03:03 PM) *

The reason Final Boss is so good has little to do with individual skill so much as it has to do with superior teamwork, strategy, and consistency.

I really disagree here. There can be no teamwork skill if there is no indivual skill first. The individual members of Final Boss are all highly skilled, stand alone players. Otherwise they would not be champions. As a team they gel very well and perhaps the resulting total is greater than the sum of the individual parts. Either way, they are highly skilled individually and that's the only reason they even have a chance as a team.

Of course the individual members of Final Boss are highly skilled, but do you think that they're each that much better than the rest of their competition? Nope, they're not. At the pro level there's not much disparity in terms of individual skill level. Most of the pros are great, so what makes Final Boss so much better than everyone else? The differences come down to the level of teamwork and strategy. If you don't believe me, go buy a year of VoD from MLG (I was a subscriber), and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Some similarities between Halo 2 and Halo 1 that I can think of:

1) The visuals (already mentioned). The characters, the structures and environments, the weapons and the entire universe in general.

2) The control scheme. Dual analog movement, jump, melee, pick-up weapons/activate, switch grenades, flashlight and swap weapons, all function in butter-smooth Halo fashion in both iterations.

3) Two weapon set-up. One weapon in your hands and one in reserve. Halo 2 adds dual-wielding to the mix which varies this formula slightly with a possible dual weapon combo in hand and one weapon in reserve.

4) Grenades. Frag and plasma. Plasmas still stick to infantry and vehicles and are more deadly. Frag still has a shorter timer, is weaker and takes down shields in one direct hit.

5) Shields. All players are equipped with recharging shields. Shields are depleted when the player takes damage and are restored if the player can escape and rest for a short period.

6) The weapons. Not only do many of the weapons look the same as their Halo 1 counterparts, they also function the same. For example, one sniper headshot kills an opponent (4 bullets per clip), a plasma overcharge shot depletes shields, needlers are still garbage etc., etc.

7) Melees. Every weapon has a melee attack.

8) Vehicles. Hogs, Ghosts and the Banshee return for more vehicle combat with slight variations.

I'll stop there but I could easily go on. If you stripped away the visuals and swapped them for something else, the game would still drip of Halo. There would be definately be an outcry of angered Halo fans that gameX ripped off Halo. I still stand behind the statement that Halo 1 and Halo 2 are both very much "Halo."

Basically everything you named is true of all shooters that come out anymore, so it would probably be a little harder to deduce if the game was Halo related. The control scheme is about the same as every shooter, the two weapon setup is found in every shooter anymore including Gears, the grenades are hardly original (not to mention they don't behave anything like Halo: CE's), the Halo health system can be found in about every modern shooter including Gears, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Splinter Cell: DA, etc. The weapons aren't identical to Halo 1. What happened to the pistol? The shotgun? Most snipers in games kill with one headshot, not exactly a Halo exclusive. Homing rockets, dual wielding, bullets that suddenly disappear after 30 feet, plasma weapons don't freeze opponents in Halo 2. With all these changes from Halo and the similarities you find with other shooters, it would be hard to tell H2 was a sequel to H:CE.

Gamble, I agree man, you're all skill; but as good as you are in Halo 2, you might have been much, much better than all of us at Halo 1. Who knows? Maybe I wouldn't have even been able to kill you in H1, but I still occasionally get you in H2. All I'm saying is the skill difference is much smaller in H2 than it ever was in H1.

Edited by Vanwadilion, 05 November 2006 - 02:40 PM.

#57 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:52 PM

Van, it's not exactly our fault for keep going back to play Halo 2. Most of the (first generation) Xbox 360 games haven't been made as fun as Halo 2, well at least multiplayer wise. Maybe it will change when Gears of War comes out, and I hope it does. I mean there's a reason why people keep going back to playing Halo 2 over most games. That constant 30 seconds of fun. Yes the game itself is different from Halo 1 in terms of numerous reasons, most of which were probably experimental since this was their first "Live" title. That also may explain some of the things that occur, and happen while we play.

Edited by DualX2, 05 November 2006 - 02:52 PM.

#58 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:58 PM

For sure, Dual. That's why it's been kind of hard to argue with people still playing Halo 2- it probably is the best multiplayer game on Live. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we'll have a few reasons to stay away from H2 for at least a while. PS sorry for not mentioning you when talking about the good players in Halo, I know you're 1337 too.

Edited by Vanwadilion, 05 November 2006 - 03:01 PM.

#59 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:40 PM

I'm surprised the way Bungie handled matchmaking hasn't become the gold standard for Live games. Sure, entering ranked matches with friends does leave the possibility of cheating, but the psitives seem to outweigh the negatives.

Edited by Kinetic, 05 November 2006 - 03:40 PM.

#60 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:28 PM

^^^I couldn't agree more. I don't get it either. As mentioned, the game is two years old- if anything should be copied from H2 it should be the simplicity of the online multiplayer- matches with friends, matches with other people, the interface, etc. Why isn't every game so easy to get into by now? Gamble's right, I think without a way to play match made games with your friends, GoW's multi could go out of style fast. Let's just hope Epic figures it out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq