Photo

Guild Wars 2

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

One hour of unedited gameplay.

A lot of you have talked to me about Guild Wars before, but I wanted to give you guys a quick overview of my thoughts of Guild Wars 2.

Allow me to explain a little bit about Guild Wars. Standard MMO's are designed to hook the player and keep them playing so the developer can cash in on monthly fees. Guild Wars was designed as a free to play MMO, so adding grinding and padding to the games doesn't accomplish anything. Guild Wars strips all that nonsense away, and what's left is a lean MMO that based more on skill rather than hours of play. Guild Wars is an evolutionary step to appeal to people who think the traditional MMO formula is a waste of time and money (like me).

A good example is the level cap in Guild Wars. It's only level 20 and easily obtained. This makes the level system pointless, and it's deviations from the norm like this that makes Guild Wars good.

The resulting formula was so good that ArenaNet was able to advertise the game as an e-sport. That's right, an MMO e-sport. Until the release of the Nightfall campaign, Guild Wars was as serious of an e-sport as Starcraft, the most successful example being the Factions Championship.

So watching this video, one thing kept running through my mind, and it's the same fear most hardcore Guild Wars players have. This isn't Guild Wars 2, it's WoW 2. Everything that was stripped away from the standard MMO formula, aka the thing that makes Guild Wars good, has been reintroduced.

My theory is that ArenaNet wants to steal WoW's playerbase from Blizzard. Not that I'm surprised considering how much of a cash cow WoW is.

In addition, it seems that Guild Wars 2 doesn't even try to target the e-sport crowd of the original. PvP in Guild Wars was botched by ArenaNet's ineptitude (which is subject I won't get into), so that population has dwindled. What remains is the PvE crowd, which it seems like they're catering to.

Let's use this article as an example which discusses the Ranger profession. Everything there exists already in Guild Wars 1, but they're retarded gimmicks no serious player would consider using unless they're goofing off. The bad PvE crowd on the other hand thinks these mechanics are the best aspects of Rangers. What's worse, it makes no mention of the way good rangers play. Would you have guess from that article that good GW1 Rangers focus on snaring, disruption, and pressure?

To summarize, instead of sticking with their fantastic design and improving upon it, the game is completely redesigned to mimic WoW.
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#2 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:13 PM

Posted Image

#3 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

Niterider, you do the best impression of Niterider.

#4 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

The game looks pretty good to me.

#5 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:24 AM

Niterider, you do the best impression of Niterider.

I can never tell if you complimenting me, insulting me, or something in between. Do me a favor and keep me in my ignorance ;)

The game looks pretty good to me.

It looked great to me as well (although the voice acting was meh).

I would highly recommend playing the GW trial to get an idea behind GW's design. It is absolutely brilliant, which is why it's so disappointing to see GW2 as a WoW clone. And I'd be more than happy to show you the ropes. There's also special instructions to download the whole game vs. downloading as you play, which is annoying when the trial has a time limit.

#6 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:14 AM

New class unveiled today, the Guardian.

This class looks very nice and appealing, but as presented is completely against the design philosophy of the first game.

In fact, GW1 has a derogatory term towards players who try to play with this style.

Wammo

A derogatory term for a Warrior/Monk. It is formed from the combination's acronyms: W/Mo. Often used to describe a bad player, ignorant of the game basics.

In GW1, a Warrior does not cast protection upon himself or his allies. His main task is to kill, and does not have the time to split his attention to protect himself, much less his allies. Not to mention that Warriors are not primary targets anyway due to their naturally high damage resistance.

I do like how they're trying to preserve the monk's Protection Prayers after they've already said there will be no dedicated healing class (aka, monks). But this is...bleh.

I know a lot of people will appeal to the way the Guardian operates. Heck, I liked it at first too until I remembered why the first game didn't have such a class.

#7 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

Does anyone on this forum play this game? I play so early in the morning that I've been running with an Australian guild for GMs, but it would be nice if I knew when real people are playing.

#8 KrAzY WiSh

KrAzY WiSh
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:08 AM

Australians aren't real people?
GT: KrAzY WiSh

#9 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:42 AM

You guys live in the future. You're basically aliens.

#10 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 467 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

Ive been playing for over a year, just finished my first legendary, the Moot.

SlightlyLive.2713

I run everything (world bosses, champ trains, fractals, dungeons, WvW, EOTM) but PvP.

#11 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

Still haven't got a character to level cap... I should get on that.

#12 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:57 AM

Australia, as everyone knows, is entirely peopled with criminals.

#13 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:58 AM

Ive been playing for over a year, just finished my first legendary, the Moot.

SlightlyLive.2713

I run everything (world bosses, champ trains, fractals, dungeons, WvW, EOTM) but PvP.

How did you get your precursor?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq