• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:03 AM

I knew I should have gone to this shit. Northwestern University is in Evanston which is only 30 min from my house. Staten apparently had some good stuff to talk about, most shockingly the revelation that the final three levels of Halo 2 were cut because of time constraints. There probably was an ending, and they cut it, wow! Another thing is that he implied that E3 would bring some revelations. Anyway the talk was titled "HALO: The Great Journey from Chicago to Redmond and Beyond" and the quote below is from a guy on the TXB forums who was there and has pics with Joe to prove it.

Halo Story Writer coming to NU (My School!) 4/22/2006

So I'm back from the event. Not much to tell you, but if you want to listen, there will be a podcast on the event, so I'll post that when it's up.

Here's a very short summary what he said:

1. His background starting from Northwestern and how he got to Bungie.

The short of it is that he met a Bungie guy while playing Myth and got a connection.

2. How Halo was born.

He went through the background of how it was called blam in the past. He was told to write a story about this ring and the war on it. Showed some rare footage from the old builds.

3. MacWorld and MS buyout.

Some footage of the game after (Silent Cartographer).

4. Halo's popularity --> Halo 2.

Halo 2's Announcement Trailer (sorta CG). It's a target render. He explains why Bungie chose that route.

5. Halo 2.

Story was to show the Arbiter side.

Explained Halo 2 was cut (last 3 levels didn't make it into the final because Bungie was running out of time).

Online Co-op was implemented in beta builds but didn't make it to the final due to limitations of the Xbox. He explains how Myth 2 was fun (cool feature was co-op). (This may explain why the Halo 2 levels were so linear.) Bungie knows everyone's disappointment of the ending so stop complaining about it.

Showed off the program they used (Sapian) and the first cutscene of the Halo 2 game rendered on his computer.

6. Q/A period.

He can't say anything about the project. He, however, mentions several times how Bungie is a small company and can only work on one game at a time. He has played this next project.

He originally said that Bungie might be at E3, but after several revisions and rephrases of the same question, he said after E3, those answers to those questions will be different.

Halo Movie: They're looking for a director. Story is not complete. It won't a video game story adaptation. A lot of it will be CG, and they still haven't started shooting. Peter Jackson is tired from directing King Kong (worked 10 years on it).

I asked him a little bit about Phoenix, and they just put that game aside. He said they could put it out again, and then said, "I don't know."

He's very tight-lipped about this next game, so I'm still confused about what Bungie's plans are. However, I can probably conclude that Bungie is only working on one game right now, and we can't confirm if it's Halo 3. (Don't take my word for it though.)

I got a picture and his card at the end of the event. Here are some links:

Me and Joe: http://img190.images...p10103033lo.jpg

(Yeah, I'm short, fairly not attractive, and we're both dorks.)

His Card with his autograph in silver sharpie: http://img169.images...p10103078fw.jpg

Sorry, I can't post the back of the card since it has his real contact info on it.

If there's anything you want to ask, I can try to answer.

Again, I'll post the podcast when it is up.

#2 MCPO RaZ

MCPO RaZ
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

It's really neat to read this after knowing the details since then.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq