Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 460 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

Posted Image

I had a conversation the other night and the above article is the result. I sat down and thought what I would want a potential Halo remake to do right (and maybe wrong).

Agree, disagree or have anything to add that I missed? What are your thoughts on the potential issue?

#2 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:12 PM

Perhaps slightly off topic, but the Haloesque font you used for the separate topics is really bothersome.

#3 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 460 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:53 PM

Perhaps slightly off topic, but the Haloesque font you used for the separate topics is really bothersome.

Yeah, short notice work with the font. I doubt I'll ever use it again.

#4 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:08 AM

Not really sure I agree with no multiplayer. There were a lot of gamers that jumped into Halo only went into multiplayer like they do today. Leaving such a feature out would be a massive mistake.

#5 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

Not really sure I agree with no multiplayer. There were a lot of gamers that jumped into Halo only went into multiplayer like they do today. Leaving such a feature out would be a massive mistake.

I think the multiplayer will be left out. If they were to put it in, I would really love it if it was exactly the same with only system link and the option to go 16 players where everyone can have their own screen. The reality is that this game doesn't work well online, and it would be really bad to segment the population away from Halo Reach so it's just not worth it.

I for one would be very upset if the game was changed at all or re-done with a different engine. I would love Halo 1 with just up-res'd graphics and achievements. We've never been able to play this game with even just widescreen graphics on the xbox so it would be awesome to do it now.

#6 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,008 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

No online multiplayer? That's crazy talk. Beyond crazy, actually. Especially for the reasons given. If a decade old game with a more limited playlist and fewer social features takes away from a "new" game, then that says more about the "new" game than it does anything else. Also, anyone expecting "new" maps for Halo: CE is unequivocally daft.

#7 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:58 PM

No online multiplayer? That's crazy talk. Beyond crazy, actually. Especially for the reasons given. If a decade old game with a more limited playlist and fewer social features takes away from a "new" game, then that says more about the "new" game than it does anything else. Also, anyone expecting "new" maps for Halo: CE is unequivocally daft.

It's not crazy when you consider that the game doesn't work reliably online. Taking the exact game and code online would be a waste and a disappointment if it didn't work for everyone the way we expect online games to work in 2011.

#8 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

So your argument is basically "no online multiplayer because it would be too hard to do"? The original Perfect Dark wasn't designed to work online, but that didn't stop 4J Studios from porting it to XBLA with 60 FPS and online play. I don't care how long they work on a Halo 1 port, but if they're going to port it (which they should), and they're planning on leaving online multiplayer out, then they shouldn't even bother.

#9 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

The reality is that this game doesn't work well online, and it would be really bad to segment the population away from Halo Reach so it's just not worth it.

Buh wuh? Halo PC's online gameplay is still some of the best online shooter gameplay ever, period. How in the world could you say that it doesn't work well online? It's fucking awesome.

#10 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 624 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

No multi, no purchase. If I want to play the Halo: CE campaign I can just throw in the disk.

#11 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:45 AM

Guys, I'm not saying I don't want it. I would LOVE to have it. I just don't think it will happen for the reasons I've posted above.

#12 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,008 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:20 AM

No multi, no purchase. If I want to play the Halo: CE campaign I can just throw in the disk.

Exactly. Or, in my case, run the $5 version I bought during that awesome XBL sale around Christmas.

Personally, I find it preposterous that there would even be a market for a prettied-up offline only port of an ancient FPS with dated mechanics. Think about it: No hijacking, no dual-wielding, no Mongoose, no Battle Rifle, no Laser... I mean, I get Ivan liking it. "Halo geek" doesn't cover it.

A Halo remake would be far better suited to a handheld market, if only MS would enter that realm (won't happen, but Halo 3D? That would be a system mover). Even then, I think it would be more Crono Trigger than Final Fantasy - a mythic game that gets an awesome treatment on a handheld, but gamers won't put their money where their nostalgia is and refuse to buy it.

#13 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

http://www.southpark...65/the-premiere
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#14 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

http://www.southpark...65/the-premiere

That's exactly why I don't want anything changed. Upscaled to widescreen 1080p HD with a great frame-rate, achievements, live-aware.

#15 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:03 AM

I'm not even sure I'd agree with upgrading the resolution or framerate if multiplayer is included, as both have a direct effect on gameplay.

#16 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

I'm not even sure I'd agree with upgrading the resolution or framerate if multiplayer is included, as both have a direct effect on gameplay.

wat

#17 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

Better resolution + a big monitor = easier to see. 60 fps means you're not trying to compensate for the framerate while you play. Play BC2 at between 30-45 fps, then change it to 60 fps and you'll notice the improvement. Maxing out framerate and response times is the reason why many die hard CS players used to play only on CRT monitors at minimum resolutions. On the surface, they both seem like improvements, but it does change vanilla Halo slightly. Halo's one of the most delicate games I've ever played, and even these slight changes may alter the game in ways we can't conceive until we see it in action and the meta has settled. The subtle difference may turn out as poorly as Lockout vs. Blackout.

#18 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

Halo PC runs at a different resolution and frame rate and feels exactly like Halo with a better resolution and frame rate. A Lockout vs. Blackout comparison would be appropriate if the Halo 1 remake was being done with the Reach engine. It is logical to be concerned about any changes being made to the formula, but I don't think 1080p and 60 f/s are the things to worry about.

#19 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

Halo PC runs at a different resolution and frame rate and feels exactly like Halo with a better resolution and frame rate.

Pretty much. There's no reason for it not to be 1080p w/ 4xMSAA at 60FPS.

#20 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

Pretty much. There's no reason for it not to be 1080p w/ 4xMSAA at 60FPS.

I agree with Drew. It's not something to be concerned about. Does it give some of an advantage to someone who has a widescreen setup? Yes, but that's not different than people who play Reach, Halo 3, and Halo 2 on widescreen vs people who still play on SD.

Also, as Blaze pointed out if you're ever played Halo PC or Halo 2 Vista in HD with a very high frame rate you would know that it doesn't change the game and it looks glorious.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo: CE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq