The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

• Guests

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:51 PM

Now before you start bogging the game down because it has Vin Diesel (Personally I think he kicks ass), take the time to play this game. Butcher Bay isn't just your average shooter. You're taken to a prison above a run down mining institute full of all sorts of nasty experiments. In prison, you have to earn respect. Choose your friends wisely. Basically its a First Person Shooter with many RPG elements (Oh, and for those Splinter Cell fans, the gameplay relies keenly on stealth.). For instance, if you wanted a Shiv (Knife), you'd have to either A) Kill the guy willing to give it to you, B ) Do his dirty work, or C) Rat him out to the prison guards, and take his stuff yourself.

Once you get out of prison, you're thrown deep into the mines. Armed with only a shotgun, you have to work your way up until you reach the surface of the mines, into the city. This ain't like your average shooter, there's no aiming reticle, and you have to be careful not to be seen in stealth operations. The graphics match those of Halo 2, hell, maybe even better than Halo 2! You get many weapons to choose from (Guns too. =) ), and once you get Eyebright (Allows you to see in pitch blackness after you shoot out lights for stealth purposes), you can really have a lot of fun. The only problems I have with this game is that the so-called "Xbox Live play" is just that your friends online can watch you play riddick. C'MON! The other problem is that the game is just a bit too short for my liking. Otherwise, this is easily a game for anyone with a taste for action/stealth gameplay.

Concept
Diesel's trapped in prison, and he's not happy about it. Use stealth, use wits, use caution.

Graphics
It matches Halo 2, with tasty looking bump-mapping and dark enviroments...

Sound
Not much music, but the acting is top notch and theres plenty of F-Word action! F*** YES!

Playability
Mixes many elements of gameplay that makes your experience a long-lasting one.

Replay Value
Moderate (But there are many MANY unlockables)

Posted Image

#2 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:23 PM

Very cinematic, very enjoyable albeit a tad short. I definitely like this game and I think everyone should give it a go. My grade was 3 stars. The fact that they integrated a very authentic first-person shooter with a stealth game and they did so effectively, I'm definitely pleased with it. Getting the Mech at the end is sweet justice. My problems with Vin Diesel evaporate, the game is that immersive (if you knew how much I dislike Diesel you would be impressed even more by this statement). It's a fun game and if it had an effective multiplayer I'd still be playing it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq