AdjutantReflex

Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#201 squick3n

squick3n
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:26 AM

What I got from it is that, the Forerunner that fired the rings is safe from the activation of them. But now he is all that is left, and he has nothing to do but await his death, alone. I just think he put "sleeping" as a more, let’s go with "noble" term for death.

So do I think we will see him in Halo 3? In my opinion, no. But we may see things he left behind in his unimaginable solitude. Hieroglyphs, stories, warnings.

Well that’s what I think anyway.

I think, or hope rather, that Bungie has listened to the complaints of the fans who have longed for some sort of tie-in of the games' fiction with the fiction in the other Halo properties. I believe this is at least part of the function the terminals in Halo 3 will serve. So I'm hoping that whoever our mystery interstellar/interdimensional/interspecies/time travelling pen pal is, he/she/it makes some form of an appearance in Halo 3.

#202 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:22 AM

The "It is done by my hands" part implies to me that it couldn't be a monitor saying that. The monitors cannot activate the halos. And they don't have hands. :wink:

#203 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:57 AM

How though, Voc? He'd dead.

Actually, I was chatting with some people from Unfiction earlier, and we came to a pretty decent conclusion. Read over that again. It appears to be the AI, or, perhaps, the Monitor, of the Installation that is being fired saying goodbye to the Reclaimer, or, as it may be, the entire Forerunner race. Why would somebody who's about to die say, "It's done. By my hands. The pyrrhic solution is ignited. All I have left is the quiet of space to lull me to sleep. I will dream of you."? That doesn't make any sense.

I can say that I'm a little disappointed that it took someone from another site to convince you of that last statement when in fact I've said it half a dozen times in this thread alone. I assure you it's not a monitor. It sounds nothing like 2401 Penitent Tangent or 343 Guilty Spark, the only known monitors. What we're dealing with here is clearly a Forerunner - now what a Forerunner is actually is another story. All we know about the Forerunners is that they are living beings, but based on these communications, we can tell that they're incredibly emotional, : knowledgeable and devout to their cause. It could be a precursor to humanity, it could be a precursor to the Sangheili which would give them even more of an interesting placement in Halo's canon, it could be another known race, or it could be an entirely new being not yet revealed (what I'm hoping for).

The "It is done by my hands" part implies to me that it couldn't be a monitor saying that. The monitors cannot activate the halos. And they don't have hands. :wink:

The most important part is that monitors can't activate Halo rings. They need the Index and a Reclaimer to do this - otherwise it's not monitor initiated. I believe that the first and last time the rings were activated were by this Forerunner and he is speaking to someone specific - someone which he loved and someone which will be revealed during the course of this ARG. In fact, I think it'll be central to the ARG itself.

#204 Frost

Frost

I'm the Kool-Aid Man, bitch!

• 248 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:44 AM

THIS IS MY FINAL ENTRY, AND I AM LEFT WITH ONE HOPE

Hmm...to me it sounds like he will die along with everything else when he activates the Halos. The way he says "This is my final entry, and I am left with one hope" strikes me as a dying wish.

THAT ONE DAY, SOMEONE, ANYONE IS AROUND TO WITNESS THIS WARNING
IF YOU ARE THAT WITNESS, AND IT SEEMS THAT WE PINNED ALL OF OUR HOPES ON THIS SINGLE SUICIDAL PLAN
KNOW THAT A THOUSAND OTHER PLANS WERE TRIED AND FAILED

So basically, this is the last message from what is possibly the last Forerunner, pleading that we do not think too badly of their actions, and showing that they had exhausted all other options.

MILLIONS OF BRAVE AND HONORED SOULS DIED TRYING TO AVERT THIS DESPERATE, TERRBILE SOLUTION

When it talks about these millions, it says they died "trying to avert this desperate, terrible solution." Does that simply mean they died combatting the Flood? Or were they actually trying to avert the solution/prevent the firing of the Halos?

KNOW THAT ENERGETIC AND TENACIOUS AS LIFE IS
IT HAS AN ANTITHESIS JUST AS POWERFUL
IT IS THAT THING THAT WE MUST OBLITERATE

I really like these lines. Very powerful. I'm a bit surprised that the Forerunner calls the Flood the antithesis of life (ie. death) and suggests to me that the Flood was not a naturally-evolved life-form. Perhaps, as has been suggested in the past, it was created by the Forerunners themselves.

#205 UyghurWolf

UyghurWolf
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:06 AM

<enter reversion sequence to deactivate>
{D-com} No pain. No remorse. Is that normal?

[<array-sdr.> 0 seconds]fire: -00-00-00-00-0001-
Reversion Sequence?{negative}
Array Authorized?_{Activate}
Rings online?_{Activate}
<Fire>

^^ Reversion sequence, I'm guessing that means this guy try to stop the Halos at the last minute but was too late. Or is something giving him the option to put in a reversion sequence and he refuses?

#206 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:23 AM

^^ Reversion sequence, I'm guessing that means this guy try to stop the Halos at the last minute but was too late. Or is something giving him the option to put in a reversion sequence and he refuses?

I think it might have been a security measure where he could have reversed the process at that time

like trying to enter your BIOS when your computer starts. If you miss the opportunity, you're screwed

Edited by NJ x Falk0r, 21 June 2007 - 09:24 AM.

#207 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:52 AM

It would be a crappy feeling (to say the least) to activate the rings, then decide at the last moment not to, only to have it be too late to stop anyways. Are there any inklings as to whether the Flood were inadvertently created by the Forerunners, like an experiment gone awry, or if the Flood were discovered either by exploration or invasion?

#208 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:56 AM

In my opinion, the Flood sounds like something that was created...but the statement about it being antithetical to Life makes me think that it is eternal and can be neither created
Spoiler

#209 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:46 AM

It would be a crappy feeling (to say the least) to activate the rings, then decide at the last moment not to, only to have it be too late to stop anyways.

Are there any inklings as to whether the Flood were inadvertently created by the Forerunners, like an experiment gone awry, or if the Flood were discovered either by exploration or invasion?

The Art of Halo book specifies that the Forerunner "encountered" the Flood, and then refitted some of their facilities to study them (such as the gas mine over Threshold, which is the section the passage appears in).

#210 Frost

Frost

• 248 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:13 AM

The Art of Halo book specifies that the Forerunner "encountered" the Flood, and then refitted some of their facilities to study them (such as the gas mine over Threshold, which is the section the passage appears in).

Maybe the Forerunner didn't create the Flood as we know it, but its precursor instead. Could be it was a medical research project that was abandoned on some desolate planet, where it then evolved into an intelligent and parasitic species, which the Forerunner encountered at a later date.

#211 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:28 AM

Maybe the Forerunner didn't create the Flood as we know it, but its precursor instead. Could be it was a medical research project that was abandoned on some desolate planet, where it then evolved into an intelligent and parasitic species, which the Forerunner encountered at a later date.

TOO MANY ALIENZ!!1

#212 Frost

Frost

• 248 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:43 AM

TOO MANY ALIENZ!!1

NO U!

It's like this...the Forerunner made some virus thing. They left it in a gym locker. It became sentient and turned into the Flood. They opened the locker and found that their sneakers had grown tentacles.

Thus the Foreunner unintentionally created the Flood.

#213 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:00 PM

Either way, the framing of the Flood as the 'antithesis of life itself' really brings across the danger Earth is in. If the Foreunners didn't have a can of Raid big enough to take out the Flood, What can the humans, even the Chief, do to stop them, besides following the same steps the Forerunners took. One more question. Did the Forerunners intentionally leave the Flood on Halo? Why? Why weren't they eradicated with everything else in the universe when Halo fired? Just some questions bouncing around in my noggin.

Edited by MoNuckah, 21 June 2007 - 12:01 PM.

#214 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:05 PM

One more question. Did the Forerunners intentionally leave the Flood on Halo? Why? Why weren't they eradicated with everything else in the universe when Halo fired?

Technically speaking, the Halo's didn't destroy the Flood or the virus, just the Flood's ability to perpetuate itself. The virus still existed within the containment facilities on the Halo rings and in various other locations, like for example the re-rigged gas mine station that hovered above Threshold. I don't know why the Forerunners didn't have a mechanism to destroy the virus. Maybe it needs to exist for some reason, as mattacus has alluded to. There might be some sort of duality involved...

#215 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:13 PM

Technically speaking, the Halo's didn't destroy the Flood or the virus, just the Flood's ability to perpetuate itself. The virus still existed within the containment facilities on the Halo rings and in various other locations, like for example the re-rigged gas mine station that hovered above Threshold. I don't know why the Forerunners didn't have a mechanism to destroy the virus. Maybe it needs to exist for some reason, as mattacus has alluded to. There might be some sort of duality involved...

If the Flood are truly the 'Yin' to life's 'Yang', then yes, I suppose there is no way to eradicate it.

But aren't the Flood themselves alive?

Perhaps they are simply a mystery, wrapped in an enigma
Spoiler

#216 Frost

Frost

• 248 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:19 PM

Maybe it needs to exist for some reason, as mattacus has alluded to. There might be some sort of duality involved...

Woah. Excuse me while I ramble.

What if the Flood virus is already on Earth? What if the Flood virus is everywhere, in a much weaker and more passive form? What if the Flood is what causes entropy in living organisms...the deterioration of cells...basically, death? We need it to recycle matter and prevent the exhaustion of resources by overpopulation--in a sense we can't live without it. Somehow this all-important virus, which I suppose is living but undying, mutated and started causing death at an accelerated rate. The Forerunner activated the Halos, not to eliminate the Flood, but to restore its balance.

:confused:

Shutting up now.

#217 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:23 PM

Double Post Schwing!

Edited by MoNuckah, 21 June 2007 - 12:32 PM.

#218 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:32 PM

Woah. Excuse me while I ramble.

What if the Flood virus is already on Earth? What if the Flood virus is everywhere, in a much weaker and more passive form? What if the Flood is what causes entropy in living organisms...the deterioration of cells...basically, death? We need it to recycle matter and prevent the exhaustion of resources by overpopulation--in a sense we can't live without it. Somehow this all-important virus, which I suppose is living but undying, mutated and started causing death at an accelerated rate. The Forerunner activated the Halos, not to eliminate the Flood, but to restore its balance.

:confused:

Shutting up now.

Interesting concept. It would be like the quintessential Life or Death battle.

I was watching the documentary Planet Earth (Highly Recommended) last night, the one about jungles. Apparently there is this family of spores that has evolved to target specific insects. When an insect inhales these spores, it infects their body, literally eating their brain and controlling their mind. They climb to the highest spot they can find, apparently without any choice, then die. A spore shoot springs out of their head, dropping more spores to catch more bugs. Seeing this happen with time lapse photography is scary as hell, as the spore shoots spring out of the head, followed by the rest of the body, in a matter of hours. Its so gross. When ants find one of their own suffering from the infection, they carry away the inflicted ant to keep the nest safe, as the spores can spread rapidly and wipe out whole nests.

There is a spore species for nearly every type of insect in the rain forest, ensuring that no one species dominates. Its the real life Flood.

#219 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

Proverbial hands.

I can say that I'm a little disappointed that it took someone from another site to convince you of that last statement when in fact I've said it half a dozen times in this thread alone. I assure you it's not a monitor. It sounds nothing like 2401 Penitent Tangent or 343 Guilty Spark, the only known monitors. What we're dealing with here is clearly a Forerunner - now what a Forerunner is actually is another story. All we know about the Forerunners is that they are living beings, but based on these communications, we can tell that they're incredibly emotional, : knowledgeable and devout to their cause. It could be a precursor to humanity, it could be a precursor to the Sangheili which would give them even more of an interesting placement in Halo's canon, it could be another known race, or it could be an entirely new being not yet revealed (what I'm hoping for).
The most important part is that monitors can't activate Halo rings. They need the Index and a Reclaimer to do this - otherwise it's not monitor initiated. I believe that the first and last time the rings were activated were by this Forerunner and he is speaking to someone specific - someone which he loved and someone which will be revealed during the course of this ARG. In fact, I think it'll be central to the ARG itself.

Wait, what? Dude, nobody convinced me of anything. I came to the assumption on my own. The people over at Unficition only helped me flesh it out. I don't see how the Reclaimer could survive, so I figured that perhaps it was a caretaker AI or an AI based in Halo's systems, or something. Who knows, it's only a theory. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the fact that he lived through the activation. I can see him in one of those pods the Spartan III's ended up in, but the problem remains, why the hell wouldn't there be a mechanism to transport said pod into the Ark/Shield Worlds? It doesn't make any sense. I'm still completely open to the fact that our hero here is a Forerunner, but I don't see him living, which makes his last words seem a little... off.

I'm going to go with NJ on this one. Like a little prompt that goes, "You're about to kill everything. Press [N] to cancel." Except, you've got five seconds to cancel.

What if the Flood virus is already on Earth?

This is something that I've been pondering. I formulated another theory that Mt. Elgon was the origin of the Flood, which is a mutation of the deadly Malburg virus thought to have originated there. The paralells drawn between the stories and history that surround the place "Gatekeeper of Hell", "Gateway to Hell", "Hell's Doorstep", "Mountain of the Fallen Gods", the oldest cave paintings in the world (by over 40,000 years), and the Flood virus is just too strong to be ignored.

Edited by Drew, 21 June 2007 - 12:59 PM.

#220 Cerious

Cerious
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:07 AM

Wait, what? Dude, nobody convinced me of anything. I came to the assumption on my own. The people over at Unficition only helped me flesh it out. I don't see how the Reclaimer could survive, so I figured that perhaps it was a caretaker AI or an AI based in Halo's systems, or something. Who knows, it's only a theory. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the fact that he lived through the activation. I can see him in one of those pods the Spartan III's ended up in, but the problem remains, why the hell wouldn't there be a mechanism to transport said pod into the Ark/Shield Worlds? It doesn't make any sense. I'm still completely open to the fact that our hero here is a Forerunner, but I don't see him living, which makes his last words seem a little... off.

I don't have the GoO book in front of me, but I remember Dr Hasley saying that the Spartans IIIs in the pods were visable to them but physically in another dimension. Therefore it should be plausible that even the activation of the rings would not destroy the person contained within the pod if they are in an alternate reality.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq