Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:00 AM

Check this out!

http://gear.ign.com/.../1118794p1.html

#2 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:49 AM

Woah, a Fatal1ty branded sound card? Now you've got my attention.

#3 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

I can't see it at work. How much is it?

#4 Crucified

Crucified
  • 275 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:58 AM

I can't see it at work. How much is it?

$7000

#5 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

And the sad thing about this is that you can actually make your own desktop for under $1000 and still have it run every single pc game out there on max settings. There really is no reason to buying this.

#6 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

Oh boy! So I can spend 7 grand so I don't have to put my 360 on my desk anymore! Geez, you guys have no idea how much stress that's caused me... Even with deals, under $1000 is really generous, Dual. I'd say more like $1500 would definitely cover everything.
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#7 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 460 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

But this includes a water cooled 360 slim! Surely worth the $6000 extra!?

#8 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

Even with deals, under $1000 is really generous, Dual. I'd say more like $1500 would definitely cover everything.

What, seriously? Have you ever built your own desktop?

Looky here. Just pulled up tigerdirect and picked out a few items.

Let's start out and pick a nice motherboard/processor combo. $170
Ok, now that we have a nice motherboard, we're going to need a power supply to run it all. $45
Throw in some RAM... $75
..and a pretty sweet video card to boot. $180
Alright we have most of what we need right here, so lets see what we're up to so far. Total = $470. Wow we have a lot of spending room here. So lets go out and get some more nice things.

1TB Harddrive would be pretty nice. $60
And hell, why not use that amazing Fatal1ty sound card mentioned before. $180
We need a case too right? $140

Now aside from the obvious dvd drive which I didn't include because of how cheap they are, you'll only need speakers, monitor, mouse/keyboard, and the OS (but it's likely that you have those already). So full total is *drum roll please* $850. And yes, this setup could easily run all games currently out on max.

#9 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:29 PM

PEOPLE WHO BUY PRE-BUILT ARE THE CANCER KILLING THE PC INDUSTRY

#10 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:47 AM

I don't have the OS, hence I always include it in the price. That alone jumps your fig up to $1050, if you get a regular version of Windows. I also wouldn't get an Athlon II at this point, I'd be looking at the Phenom II. I've been pricing a PC for a good year now, and I've never had something I'd be satisfied with for under $1000. It's always been in the 1000~1500 range.

#11 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:35 AM

I don't have the OS, hence I always include it in the price. That alone jumps your fig up to $1050, if you get a regular version of Windows. I also wouldn't get an Athlon II at this point, I'd be looking at the Phenom II.

I've been pricing a PC for a good year now, and I've never had something I'd be satisfied with for under $1000. It's always been in the 1000~1500 range.

How do you not have the os? How are you typing on this forum? You do know that you could use the hardrive you are using now as your primary with the os and have a secondary with your games like I do. As far as what pieces you get, it really doesn't matter. I chose a bit above what I needed on a few of them on purpose just to show how easily you can go under $1000 and still have a beast of a computer.

#12 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

Ph3aR tEh LINUX!

Nah, I'm just kidding. It would be more accurate to say that I don't have an extra OS because when I finish my gaming machine, the old machine is going to family. Many people are in similar situations, so I always include the price of the OS in the machine and don't assume anyone has spares lying around, especially new builders. I find it to be a very strange standard that most PC gamers don't include the OS price. I suppose it's because many longtime builders have OS's already, but you still had to make the initial purchase or obtain it through other means. I just view it as a way to deflate the true price of the machine to justify the "HOLY CRAP LOOK AT THIS AWESOME MACHINE FOR $500" types threads you see on GAF.

What's worse is that the term "beast" and others like it are used very loosely. A lot of people considered my video card, Nvidia 9800GT, to be a very good card when I bought it 1 1/2 years ago. Then ask them if it runs Crysis decently and the answer is "no, it'll run at 24 fps on high settings at best, and don't even think about ultra high." This is very questionable considering these same people demand that everything run at 60+ fps at full HD and complain that the Xbox standard is 30 at 720p. I'm not questioning your selections, because it is pretty good aside from my processor concern. But as I said before, just the OS pushes you back up into my range, and for my definition of "beastly," the Processor/Motherboard pushes it even further.

#13 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

Well you can take out the soundcard I have listed (because I know most of you don't game with 5.1 surround sound which is ashame honestly), and then you can still add in the best version of Windows 7 for $940 total.
Spoiler

But seriously, we can talk about getting certain parts and what not (hell I could probably talk all day about it), but it really just comes down to whatever that person wants really. And besides, I know I could easily find better deals with the stuff I listed, but I was just trying to make a point. Pre-built systems are pointless when you can make something that is soo much cheaper and can still run everything out there.

#14 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

Tax?
Spoiler

#15 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:26 PM

But seriously, we can talk about getting certain parts and what not (hell I could probably talk all day about it), but it really just comes down to whatever that person wants really. And besides, I know I could easily find better deals with the stuff I listed, but I was just trying to make a point. Pre-built systems are pointless when you can make something that is soo much cheaper and can still run everything out there.

This is exactly right, you really can pick and choose certain parts until you have exactly what you want so arguing about a price is pointless. MaximumPC did build a machine for $700 that could run all modern games on almost max settings so you can really get creative.

Pre-built systems are still needed by many; businesses and people without the expertise to configure they're own. I don't really see how you guys can say it's ruining the industry or doesn't make sense. Maybe it doesn't make sense for you, but they definitely do for other people. The vast majority of computers are still purchased by companies, and white boxing for companies is a nightmare and almost no one does it.

#16 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:44 PM

Say hello to my new PC. Had to post this here especially since it my theory still proves that you can easily build a very powerful computer well under that price. This thing should be coming in around the 22nd.

Wanted to get this thing for:
-Solid State Drive (even though they are still overly expensive)
-UEFI Motherboard (UEFI which is replacing BIOS)
-Intel Sandy Bridge Processor (yay)
-And to hopefully future proof it a bit.

All in all it came out to $1,547.95 with shipping. Should be able to play Battlefield 3 with ease now.

Edited by DualX, 08 March 2011 - 04:45 PM.

#17 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 460 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

Say hello to my new PC. Had to post this here especially since it my theory still proves that you can easily build a very powerful computer well under that price. This thing should be coming in around the 22nd.

Wanted to get this thing for:
-Solid State Drive (even though they are still overly expensive)
-UEFI Motherboard (UEFI which is replacing BIOS)
-Intel Sandy Bridge Processor (yay)

All in all it came out to $1,547.95 with shipping. Should be able to play Battlefield 3 with ease now.

I am jealous. That's a great rig dude, should last for many years.

#18 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:39 PM

What's there to future proof :P

#19 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:54 AM

YOU BOUGHT A PRE-BUILT. REMEMBER WHAT I SAID ABOUT PEOPLE BUYING PRE-BUILT? YOU, DUAL, ARE THE CANCER. I MAD.

#20 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:46 AM

YOU BOUGHT A PRE-BUILT.

REMEMBER WHAT I SAID ABOUT PEOPLE BUYING PRE-BUILT?

YOU, DUAL, ARE THE CANCER.

I MAD.

I'm going to buy a Dell now.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq