Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:47 AM

Look at this sexy thing, Nightshade.

http://www.youtube.c...I...d=1&t=3m35s

Changed my pre-order to Blue. Holy shit. Also, some images taken with the 3DS:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Drew, 26 February 2011 - 06:00 AM.

#42 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:05 AM

Look at this sexy thing, Nightshade.

I'm poor motherfucker.

As much as I'd like to own one, I'm going to have to sit this one out for a bit.

Edited by Nightshade, 01 March 2011 - 05:06 AM.

#43 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

Yo dawg. June 7th for OoT.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,043 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:57 AM

Yo dawg. June 7th for OoT.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I've always wondered where I can get some good !ESTS and JOEXJ...

#45 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

I've always wondered where I can get some good !ESTS and JOEXJ...

lololol

Posted Image

Edit: The letters on the sign are written in Old Hylian, which looks a little different.

By the way, new Mario game announced for the 3DS. Same team that did Galaxy is working on it.

Posted Image

Edited by Drew, 02 March 2011 - 12:35 PM.

#46 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

Got to spend close to an hour with one today. Will post impressions later.

#47 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

Let me guess - 3D works fantastically. The slider didn't really matter to me because when I wasn't testing it I had it cranked all the way. - No headaches, not even when I played with the slider all the way up on Pilotwings for half an hour straight - and apparently that's the game that's giving people problems. - The blue system is sexy as fuck. Hard to describe it really. Goes from a deep navy blue to a kind of turquoise color, and it looks really great. The system itself is tiny, way smaller than I was expecting even after seeing comparisons. - Slide pad is amazing. Can't wait to not read the rest.

#48 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

Let me guess

- 3D works fantastically. The slider didn't really matter to me because when I wasn't testing it I had it cranked all the way.

- No headaches, not even when I played with the slider all the way up on Pilotwings for half an hour straight - and apparently that's the game that's giving people problems.

- The blue system is sexy as fuck. Hard to describe it really. Goes from a deep navy blue to a kind of turquoise color, and it looks really great. The system itself is tiny, way smaller than I was expecting even after seeing comparisons.

- Slide pad is amazing.

Can't wait to not read the rest.

You're a baby.

#49 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

You're a baby.

Posted Image

#50 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

Deal with it Gamble.

~ 3DS System - Aesthetics ~

- Outside shell:

The model I played around with was "Aqua Blue". I'm not sure if that's what I would call it but then again I can see how it might be hard to classify it as any one particular color. It's almost... three-tone? Incredibly hard to describe. It goes from this gorgeous dark blue at the camera edge to a really deep turquoiseish green kind of color. It's really pretty, and it looked nothing like what I had seen online. Even that video I post over and over doesn't really do it justice. It kind of conveys the two-tonedish color but the color looks all wrong on film.

- Inside shell:

A lot of people thought that the blue was going to come off as garish or distracting or contrast too much with the black, and that's just not the case. The blue looks really good in person and I had no problem with it at all. It's a different color than the top, more a kind of turquoise. It all works very well together, however, and it doesn't contrast at all. "Blends" would be a good way to put it, I think. One color just kind of melds into the other.

- Device as a whole:

Drop-dead sexy. Anyone who says it looks like a toy is either trolling or has some of the sleekest toys known to mankind, because damn. Black or blue, I don't think it really matters. It just "works". The sparkly effect seems to be greatly exaggerated in photos, and is there but very subtle in real life - and it looks very nice. Even with a giant magnet attached to the bottom it looked great. Much smaller than I was anticipating, despite the fact that I've seen tons of comparison images.

~ 3DS System - Functionality ~

- Slide pad:

Amazing. Not like the PSP at all. Has just the right amount of give and my thumb never got close to slipping off even once. Very comfy and easy to use, highly precise, and extremely responsive. Worked fantastically for Pilotwings.

- D-Pad:

Clicky and very responsive. Felt way better than my mushy DSLite D-Pad. I have no complaints about the location either. It seems like if I chose to use it for extended periods of time for whatever reason that I would have no problems in doing so.

- Buttons:

Very clicky with plenty of spring. A million times better than the DSLite. I was surprised at the Home, Select, and Start buttons being clicky. I would've thought for sure that they would be mushy, but I was pleasantly surprised. The shoulders felt great as well and seemed to have more travel than the DSLite's, which in testing them now feel rather "flat".

- Touch screen:

Works just the same as any other DS touch screen, albeit at a higher resolution. The stylus did feel rather nice, I must say. The minimap for Pilotwings was really detailed, and it's obvious that the screen has benefited from the bump in resolution.

~ 3D Effect and Screen ~

- 3D effect:

Worked perfectly. I had no problems whatsoever with it, and opted to play with the slider maxed almost the entire time - sans testing how much of an effect it had and 2D mode. Pilotwings seemed to utilize both a bit of pop-out (especially in the opening video) and "pop-in", as it were.

The best way I can describe it would be to tie a little plane model to a string and hold it in front of a window that looks outside over the landscape. The model is the plane in Pilotwings, the window is the 3DS's screen, and outside is the landscape in Pilotwings. It's like looking past the little model and seeing into this diorama.

I played with 3D maxed, like I said, and had zero problems with headaches or eyestrain, even when playing for a good half-hour straight with the effect maxed on the game that is apparently the worst for giving headaches. Granted, this is a guy who can do parallel or cross-eyed 3D images perfectly and instantly and has been doing so (at least in the case of cross-eyed) for years now. As that same person, the effect is really great. It's definitely real 3D, there are no gimmicks here. It's very pronounced and looks fantastic.

With the slider right above off, there is still a noticeable effect. However it's more like the kind of effect you get from a 3D movie. You've got the foreground action separated from the background. Kind of weak, I think. I will always be playing with the slider maxed.

- Sweet spot:

Way bigger than I thought it was going to be going off of impressions. You can hold it anywhere from around six inches in front of your face to over a foot away and the effect remains intact. Going from the top screen to the bottom screen does not break the effect at all and seems just as natural as it was with the DS.

You can rotate the system side-to-side (think like a steering wheel) quite a ways before the effect breaks. The only time you're going to have trouble maintaining it is when you twist the system forward and back (think like a mounted machine gun). There is still some give but the effect breaks much more quickly like that than it does in any other way. Hell, you could view the screen with the system tilted forward so the screen was basically on a parralel plane with your vision (think lying down and looking up at your TV from the floor right in front of it) and the effect still works just fine. That was the most surprising thing to me.

I don't think that the sweet spot is going to be a huge issue. From what I saw it was very forgiving.

- The screen itself:

Gorgeous, sharp, and very bright. Enabling 3D does dim the screen ever so slightly, but even then it was brighter than the brightest setting on my DSLite. I'm not sure what brightness they had it set on but I would imagine it was on the brightest setting. Any brighter and I would have trouble looking at it even in broad daylight. I have no doubt about where that battery life is going, that's for sure.

That's about it for the system. I may go back later this week and try that code to access the home menu. Impressions on Pilotwings will be in my next post.

Edited by Drew, 14 March 2011 - 09:01 PM.

#51 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:52 AM

Posted Image

#52 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:35 PM

Looks real purty in person.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

~ 3DS Home Menu and Software ~

- Home Menu:

The interface is very snappy, and the 3D menus and info on top looks top notch. Very easy to navigate and does not come across as bloated, even though it might seem that way just looking at it. You can customize it all the way up to 6-8 rows of icons if so you choose. The smallest was really, really small. I think that most people will probably end up using four or five rows.

- 3D Camera:

Works great, despite the low resolution. I snapped a photo of the clerk (who seemed awfully surprised by the fact that I was in the home menu - apparently Nintendo gave them no instructions on how to boot into it should they need to) holding out her hand and the effect was really good. Not much else to say about it, by now most have seen the images it produces. Not awful but not breathtaking. It works and it's fun, and I suppose that's what matters.

- 3DS Sound:

With no access to the SD slot my time here was fairly limited. I did record me blowing into the microphone and put various filters over it, though. They seem to work well enough. Couldn't figure out how to get into visualizer mode.

One thing to note here is that in the options it gives you three output modes:

Mono
Stereo
Surround

Have we known that it was capable of surround sound? I should've brought my cans with me, I would've loved to hear how it sounded.

- AR Games:

Printed out the replacement cards from Nintendo's website and brought them with me. It works great, and the 3D is very nice. The combination of the subtle 3D from the cameras and the very pronounced 3D from the games looks fantastic. It was a little difficult playing with the tether attached, which not only restricted movement but also got in the way of the cameras, but it was still manageable.

I played Target Shooting and the pool golf thing. For Target Shooting, the clerk I mentioned before took turns with me and one of us held up the card while the other shot at the targets. Very cool effects, and the 3D was surprisingly easy to maintain, even while moving around. Pool was definitely different, but the way it created the 3D landscapes out of the background was impressive.

After that I toyed with the photo modes. Managed to cram probably over a dozen Miis on screen and take a picture. Framerate definitely took a hit but it was still neat. The really cool one was the Star pictures, where you used the other AR cards to place the characters on each and pose them. I wish I had printed out a full page Samus card and brought that one with me as well.

- Face Raiders:

Spent only about three minutes with this one. The tether just made it too difficult to play properly. The little bit that I did play though was very impressive and I can't wait to try it out with no restrictions. Face mapped perfectly and the way it used depth data to blow holes in objects that were actually there in the real world was awesome. Really, really want to try this one again.

- Usage Stats:

I fucking love this stuff, and they handle it way better than they did on the Wii. Easily sortable and readable, with charts and all kinds of fancy things to track how much time you've spent with the system and your games. Also has charts for the pedometer.

- Settings Menu:

Tons and tons of options in here. From a mode to help you adjust the 3D to your like to a circle pad recalibration function. There were four pages of options, IIRC. Didn't look through them all but I'm very happy to see that Nintendo didn't pull any punches. A DSLite this ain't.

~ Pilotwings ~

- Controls:

Controls are perfect. The slide pad makes this game. Smooth and very responsive, it makes playing the game a breeze. The d-pad changes the camera angle and lets you get a good look around, but what I didn't know until today is that X let's you toggle viewpoints, from the standard 3rd person follow-cam to first person and top-down. Keep that in mind if you're planning on visiting a demo station in the future.

- Visuals:

It's no Resident Evil or Metal Gear, but it still works great. It didn't seem like it was pushing a ton of geometry, but the textures and effects were fantastic, especially the lighting. Playing with the time of day set to evening was awesome. Can't wait to see what nighttime looks like.

- 3D:

Very strong, and awesome. Especially in first person mode. The 3D really takes the visuals from "pretty good" to "holy shit". Buzzing the ground while in first person mode with the 3D slider cranked is fantastic. No problems with headaches or eye strain.

- Gameplay:

It's definitely Pilotwings. If you liked the N64 version you'll like this just as well. I can't wait to get my hands on it come launch, even if the game is shallow as far as content goes. Free flight mode is what I always messed around in on the N64 version and I imagine that it won't be very different here.

-----

Overall, I once again had a lot of fun. It was cool to get reactions from people when I let them mess around with the AR stuff. I think that AR is going to be the biggest selling point for the system for the mass market. Even this one kid's grandmother was impressed. If Nintendo handles this right, they've got a huge hit on their hands. I have a feeling that word of mouth and people showing their friends and family the system, though, is what's going to have the biggest effect. Once more and more people get their hands on this thing it's going to start selling like wildfire.

Anyway, that's it. If you've got any questions feel free to ask. I messed around with pretty much everything.

Edited by Drew, 16 March 2011 - 07:36 PM.

#54 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:03 AM

The hardware in that thing does not cost that much. Wait until iFixit and Anandtech do the breakdown and cost of parts, are you willing to bet it will add up to even $200? It's ridiculous, I could stomach $179 brand new and $150 as the eventual price.

The screen alone is worth a pretty penny. It's got at least 96MB (rumored to be 128MB with 32MB blocked off) of RAM, a very capable GPU, and two processors. It will definitely add up to at least $200.

Alright Drew, here is the breakdown in hardware cost of the 3DS. As I suspected, this is just a huge money grab by Nintendo. The 3DS is worth around $101 in hardware costs. There is nothing in this thing that warrants a $250 price. I understand Nintendo needs to make some profit because they can't take a loss on hardware like the mega-corps Sony/MS, and I would have been fine with a $179 price at launch considering all the crazies will pay anything and then eventually a price drop to $149, $129, $109.

Honestly man, even Apple doesn't mark their stuff up 150%. And it's funny you judge people for paying a 10% premium on a pre-built PC, but you defend Nintendo on 150%.

#55 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

And it's funny you judge people for paying a 10% premium on a pre-built PC, but you defend Nintendo on 150%.

It's cause Japan.

#56 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

It's not really a 150% markup though if you consider research costs, marketing costs, supply chain, etc. Nintendo is still making a profit on the hardware, but it's probably not that high. Although yes, I think I am going to buy the components and assemble my own 3DS ; )

#57 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

It's not really a 150% markup though if you consider research costs, marketing costs, supply chain, etc. Nintendo is still making a profit on the hardware, but it's probably not that high. Although yes, I think I am going to buy the components and assemble my own 3DS ; )

Understood, and that's exactly why I pointed out that these are just the hardware costs. But honestly, that's what a standard 20%-30% markup covers. There's no good reason this thing should cost $250.

btw, sorry bout BYU man. If they had that one kid who got suspended they would have gone really far.

#58 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

btw, sorry bout BYU man. If they had that one kid who got suspended they would have gone really far.

I was pretty sad last night. Jimmer's had to carry the weight of that team for far too long on offense. He's been playing all 40 minutes for about the last ten games, and you could tell he was getting tired. I was kind of surprised we beat Gonzaga and hung around with Florida with absolutely no post presence. You're right, if we would have had Davies I think we at least make the final four. I'm definitely sad we have lost the Jimmer; doubt BYU will ever have another player like him, but BYU has some good recruits coming down the pipeline and we'll at least be in the tournament for the foreseeable future. Nintendo are dicks.

#59 Jama7301

Jama7301
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

Dealing with the 3DS, I have a few questions. How will the 3D look if the brightness isn't max? It seems like most screenshots are with max brightness. The biggest thing for me is the battery life. How can anyone really support something with a terrible battery life on a portable system?

#60 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

Dealing with the 3DS, I have a few questions.

How will the 3D look if the brightness isn't max? It seems like most screenshots are with max brightness.

The biggest thing for me is the battery life. How can anyone really support something with a terrible battery life on a portable system?

3D looks fine at all brightness levels. Even the dimmest setting is still pretty bright.

Battery life in unavoidable. Nintendo had a choice:

1.) Make a bigger machine to accommodate a bigger battery.
2.) Sacrifice performance to drain less power.
3.) Use smaller/less bright screens.

If 3D isn't your thing, you can turn it off and get close to 6 hours with max brightness. Turn the brightness down a couple of notches (max brightness is akin to staring into the sun) and you'll get even better than that. Playing DS games and the battery life goes higher still.

Edited by Drew, 25 March 2011 - 01:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq