30 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:51 AM

Posted Image

Spoiler

So what do you guys think of the Next Generation Portable?

Edited by Drew, 27 January 2011 - 03:01 AM.

#2 aander91

aander91
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:16 AM

I used my PSP a ton, excellent little device, especially with CFW. Also, I think I heard it's getting an uncharted game at launch? If so, damn them, I can't buy a 3DS and this.
I rate this post/Drew.

XBL: aander91

#3 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,014 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:35 AM

I hope it's backwards-compatible with current PSP games. There's a backlog of JRPGs on that thing that I want to play. Plus, they released Valkyria Chronicles 2 on PSP only. That sucked. What I need is a job that requires some travel before I'd even consider getting a handheld for the prices they want, though...

#4 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:36 AM

Oooh, look at that, 2 analog sticks!

#5 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:49 AM

No UMD drive, so no joy. Y u suk so bad sony?

#6 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:04 AM

I'm pretty sure I read that you'll be able to play PSP games that you bought on the PSN. If I'm remembering right, for me, that is awesome. My brother got a PSP Go when they were doing that 10 free games thingy, so I'll have a fairly nice back catalog even without my disk based games. Plus he bought Peacewalker and Valkyria Chronicles 2 (which I have yet to play).

Edit:
Playstation Blog

NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics, video and comics from the PlayStation Store.

There's a video of someone playing Monster Hunter Portable 3 using both analog sticks aswell, I assume the right analog stick is getting mapped to the DPad:
http://uk.gamespot.c...d/video/6287031

Edited by UHYVE, 27 January 2011 - 09:43 AM.

#7 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

Whatever happened to the PSP GO? Yeah I don't even touch this thing with a 100 feet pole.

#8 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

Whatever happened to the PSP GO? Yeah I don't even touch this thing with a 100 feet pole.

Dead on arrival. Ridiculous price, no UMD drive. Sold maybe 200,000 units worldwide.

I'm worried that Sony hasn't learned anything, to be honest with you. The specs are fantastic, but just how much are we going to be paying for this thing?

#9 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 627 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:13 PM

I'm sure the battery will live a long and prosperous life. /sarcasm

#10 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

I'm sure the battery will live a long and prosperous life. /sarcasm

Yet another example of how "portable" gaming has lost its way.

Sorry, I'll stop beating this dead horse...

#11 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

I can see it getting okay battery times for a few reasons; Sony makes battery technology, OLED's very reason for being is to save battery life and the lack of optical media. I don't know if it'll be any better than the 3DS, but I'd be willing to put down money on it being a hell of a lot better than my PSP1000. It's really just gonna come down to price for me, I'm sure I'll get one at some point but probably only once I can pick one of for under ?200 (same with the 3DS actually).

Edited by UHYVE, 27 January 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#12 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

Battery life is rumored to be the same as the 3DS without 3G/Wi-Fi turned on. Unfortunately neither Sony nor Nintendo are magic, and so they're stuck with aging battery tech that's seen little development in years, while trying to cram more and more processing power in a smaller and smaller package. Pretty much the only way to get more battery life without sacrificing performance is to put in a bigger battery. So you're left with a choice; smaller device/beefier hardware/better screen or longer battery life. Honestly, if the first 3DS revision isn't actually LARGER than the initial design, I'll be shocked. The components are already shrunk down about as much as they're going to get in the next few years (as Nintendo stated in an interview where they also said they don't have a "Lite" revision planned currently). Their only choice is to go bigger, and slap in a bigger battery. Look at the size of the PSP2, and think of how large of a battery they can put in that thing. Hell, I'm willing to bet the battery is nearly the size of the entire 3DS. In any case, Sony has also stated that they plan on selling the device for a profit, so this is all probably a moot point anyway. We won't see a sub-$300 NGP for years.

Edited by Drew, 27 January 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#13 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

If they price this thing at $299, which is where I think it'll be it will eat the 3DS for breakfast. The processing power of this unit is damn impressive, and the battery life should be the same as the PSP3000 from what Sony is saying. I believe them for several reasons: the unit is larger so they can do a larger battery, the screen tech is much more batt efficient, and just like notebooks when you don't have a mechanical optical drive you need to spin, there are very significant battery savings.

#14 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

$299 is awfully optimistic.

#15 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:11 AM

I'm calling it now... 599 US DOLLARS!!! But it comes with Riiiiiiidge Racer!!! already installed...

#16 aander91

aander91
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:30 AM

I'm guessing $449.
I rate this post/Drew.

XBL: aander91

#17 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

I'm guessing $449.

You're probably right. I can never pass up an opportunity to mock Kaz, though.

$399 is my real prediction, though.

Edited by JCTucker, 02 February 2011 - 12:31 PM.

#18 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

$399 is my real prediction, though.

Yeah, that's what I'm betting on. $299 would be nice but it's not going to happen for a long time after launch, or unless Sony decides to be incredibly stupid and go with dual SKUs.

#19 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

So, I had the opportunity to give an Xperia Play a test run a few weeks back. Will be a neat gaming device, but phone / txt will be difficult to use. Buttons felt good, decently spaced. Don't see how FPS could work on it, though. I didn't get to use the two touchpads, but it would seem awkward. Neat little machine, tho. It was difficult to navigate as a phone for me at first, because the movement buttons were on the left side, and I'm used to them on the right when I'm cruising "phone." All in all, it was neat, but I don't see it carving out a niche as a gaming device. Could see it becoming a popular phone, tho. From a gizmo standpoint, I was impressed.

#20 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

Renamed the "PlayStation Vita".

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq