• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:42 AM

I got my beta code today, I know I've seen voc on there and Cocop will be on there too. Anyone else planning on getting on this. If you got Bulletstorm you can play starting the 18th, if you want to preorder the game you can get on starting the 25th. The beta goes until May 15th and will have 4 maps. I'm optimisitc about this game. Apparently the game looks amazing, they've put some polish on the UE3. I like that they're doing a beta and will have dedicated servers, this should resolve most of the cheating issues and host advantages which have ruined the game in the past. This game doesn't have to do anything spectacular they just have to make sure it's solid this time. I feel optimisitc because this will be by far the most time they've had to dial it in and polish.

#2 txlonghorn

txlonghorn

Read a newspaper

• Veteran
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

I got my beta code today, I know I've seen voc on there and Cocop will be on there too. Anyone else planning on getting on this. If you got Bulletstorm you can play starting the 18th, if you want to preorder the game you can get on starting the 25th. The beta goes until May 15th and will have 4 maps.

I'm optimisitc about this game. Apparently the game looks amazing, they've put some polish on the UE3. I like that they're doing a beta and will have dedicated servers, this should resolve most of the cheating issues and host advantages which have ruined the game in the past. This game doesn't have to do anything spectacular they just have to make sure it's solid this time. I feel optimisitc because this will be by far the most time they've had to dial it in and polish.

How did you get a code today?

#3 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

I'm pretty excited about it as well. The wife is out of town this weekend so hopefully I'll be on a lot (as long as the game is actually good).

#4 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

I got my beta code today, I know I've seen voc on there and Cocop will be on there too. Anyone else planning on getting on this. If you got Bulletstorm you can play starting the 18th, if you want to preorder the game you can get on starting the 25th. The beta goes until May 15th and will have 4 maps.

I'm optimisitc about this game. Apparently the game looks amazing, they've put some polish on the UE3. I like that they're doing a beta and will have dedicated servers, this should resolve most of the cheating issues and host advantages which have ruined the game in the past. This game doesn't have to do anything spectacular they just have to make sure it's solid this time. I feel optimisitc because this will be by far the most time they've had to dial it in and polish.

Well, that solves all the problems Gears 1 and 2 had except for bugs and glitches. Still, I'm personally turned off to the entire series at this point, so I probably won't touch it, even if I had a free beta invite.
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#5 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

Wish I could play it, will be too busy with school...

#6 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

How did you get a code today?

I'm going to take a guess and say he registered with Expert Zone and received a Gears of War 3 beta code through that.

#7 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 627 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:48 AM

Eh. Didn't care for Bulletstorm, and I don't want to pre-order GOW3. I'll be sitting this one out.

#8 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:27 AM

I'm going to take a guess and say he registered with Expert Zone and received a Gears of War 3 beta code through that.

Yeah I have access to Microsoft ExpertZone because I work for a MS partner. Do you know if people have been abusing it to get in this time around like they did with the Reach beta?

Anyway, so far the game feels smooth and I've had fun with it. I'm pretty impressed that they have a full stats system now, and of course they have the COD style medals and unlocks. You have to rank up or get a certain amount of wins/kills to use different characters, character skins like Cole in his thrashball suit, weapon skins (gold, urban, flame, etc), and you even have to unlock weapon specific executions although those don't take long to get.

The first day the game felt different in terms of aiming and landing shots, I can't describe what it was but it felt pretty different and I was struggling. I'm now getting used to it and had a good time last night playing it. Apparently the dedicated servers aren't even on yet, I would have never noticed that my matches were p2p because it feels very smooth and I never feel like anyone has a host advantage or that there's any funny business going on.

If any of you are going to get the game anyway when it comes out to at least play the campaign, I'd recommend you reserve it by the 25th and go ahead and try it out. Worse case you can just cancel the reserve after the beta is done.

#9 Merguson

Merguson

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

Yeah I have access to Microsoft ExpertZone because I work for a MS partner. Do you know if people have been abusing it to get in this time around like they did with the Reach beta?

Anyway, so far the game feels smooth and I've had fun with it. I'm pretty impressed that they have a full stats system now, and of course they have the COD style medals and unlocks. You have to rank up or get a certain amount of wins/kills to use different characters, character skins like Cole in his thrashball suit, weapon skins (gold, urban, flame, etc), and you even have to unlock weapon specific executions although those don't take long to get.

The first day the game felt different in terms of aiming and landing shots, I can't describe what it was but it felt pretty different and I was struggling. I'm now getting used to it and had a good time last night playing it. Apparently the dedicated servers aren't even on yet, I would have never noticed that my matches were p2p because it feels very smooth and I never feel like anyone has a host advantage or that there's any funny business going on.

If any of you are going to get the game anyway when it comes out to at least play the campaign, I'd recommend you reserve it by the 25th and go ahead and try it out. Worse case you can just cancel the reserve after the beta is done.

Yeah, people have definitely been abusing ExpertZone to get into the Gears of War 3 beta. I'm pretty sure you can't exploit it now though.

Edited by Merguson, 19 April 2011 - 02:30 PM.

#10 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:26 AM

Yeah, people have definitely been abusing ExpertZone to get into the Gears of War 3 beta. I'm pretty sure you can't exploit it now though.

I don't see how they could, you have to verify your employment with a Microsoft partner by sending them a copy of a recent paystub. Maybe it's just all the people from Gamestop and Bestbuy that are getting in.

#11 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 460 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:37 AM

I don't see how they could, you have to verify your employment with a Microsoft partner by sending them a copy of a recent paystub. Maybe it's just all the people from Gamestop and Bestbuy that are getting in.

There was an exploit on the Expertzone site that let you access the quiz and beta key without the verification step. It was fixed within 12 hours but GAF and other major communities abused it while it was open.

#12 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:17 PM

Well, that solves all the problems Gears 1 and 2 had except for bugs and glitches. Still, I'm personally turned off to the entire series at this point, so I probably won't touch it, even if I had a free beta invite.

While the thing with Maria in Gears 2 was one of the baddest video game moments I've seen in a long while, after that happened, I emotionally checked out from the storyline. Since then, I've had next to no desire to play any more gears.

#13 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:48 PM

After playing the beta for about an hour today, I must say, this shit sucks.

#14 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

On that note, I have an extra beta code. Anyone interested in playing this during the last week?

#15 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

Posted Image

Dat Carmine

#16 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

Spoiler

Edited by txlonghorn, 11 May 2011 - 08:07 PM.

#17 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

Spoiler

SPOILERS MAN! TAG IT!

Edited by txlonghorn, 11 May 2011 - 08:07 PM.

PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#18 Merguson

Merguson

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

On that note, I have an extra beta code. Anyone interested in playing this during the last week?

I wouldn't mind trying it out for a bit if you still have the code.

#19 aander91

aander91
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

SPOILERS MAN! TAG IT!

I just want to make sure that you realize that you're telling him to spoiler the storyline to Gears of War.

Okay.

Edited by aander91, 11 May 2011 - 06:05 PM.

I rate this post/Drew.

XBL: aander91

#20 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

Also, he has until the game goes gold to either live or die. That whole shirt promotion thing and what not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq