• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

So this thing is getting more disastrous everyday. Looks like PSN won't be back up until May 31st! That's a whole 6 weeks since 4/20, and decades in gamer time.

I can't imagine what if feels like to be Chad Warden or people like him right about now. How could you deny XBL is the superior service?

#2 aander91

aander91
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

PSTriple is still slick black.

Edited by aander91, 09 May 2011 - 05:31 PM.

I rate this post/Drew.

XBL: aander91

#3 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

How could you deny XBL is the superior service?

I wouldn't base that conclusion on recent events. The quality of service is not related to hacking attempts and temporary shutdowns. That's like saying one hot girl is better than another because one of them got pneumonia.
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#4 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

I wouldn't base that conclusion on recent events. The quality of service is not related to hacking attempts and temporary shutdowns. That's like saying one hot girl is better than another because one of them got pneumonia.

YEAH

"Pneumonia of the mouth ain't pneumonia of the vagina, so I'll service her quality."

#5 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,020 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:39 AM

The problem with that analogy is that you have a shot at getting back on PSN.

#6 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:36 AM

In my opinion, Sony deserve whatever the hell they get at this point. It sucks that a bunch of peoples information got leaked, especially since I'll be one of those people, but there's at least a small part of me that will enjoy watching Sony squirm when the UK government and the EU comes a knocking with data protection act charges. It's almost definitely going to happen aswell, we've seen it before, the EU loves giving massive fines to companies, even for minor things, never mind losing 77 million peoples private information.

It's amazing that at one point I was fairly fanboyish towards Sony, they seem to be masters in the art of alienating their fanbase... or me at least, everything they do just annoys me nowadays.

But bleh, at least I'll get some free games, yay, I wonder if they'll be equal to the value of my ****ing identity...

Edit: Oh, I heard a kind of related Mitchell & Webb radio sketch. I thought it was funny anyway.

Edited by UHYVE, 10 May 2011 - 07:46 AM.

#7 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

In my opinion, Sony deserve whatever the hell they get at this point

I absolutely agree. I've been watching the way Sony's treated customers since 2001. They only get away with their terrible actions is because they're immune to bad PR (since most people don't consider business ethics when buying a movie or TV).

However, this again is not a reflection in any way upon recent events. The PSN shutdown is a result of the hacker's actions, not neglect on Sony's part.

#8 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

The quality of service is related to the fact that they practically left the front-door open. You have to take at least reasonable measures so that you don't compromise your service and data. Service interruptions happen, but that's why you need to have a business continuity and disaster recovery plan. It's very clear that they had absolutely no infrastructure in place outside of what they had to have to run the service. Then on top of that, they did not encrypt all their customers personally identifiable information and credit card numbers. In so many ways they run an ecommerce business, and it should be criminal to not have information encrypted for anyone doing ecommerce not to mention someone as large and high-profile as sony.

#9 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

The quality of service is related to the fact that they practically left the front-door open

Have the details of the attack been released? If Sony's neglect is partially responsible then fine, but until we get more details this is speculation. Hopefully because the Dept. of Homeland Security is involved we'll see some of these details, since I doubt Sony would release that information willingly and wouldn't admit to any fault regardless.

Regardless, I just wanted to make clear that we shouldn't say things like "Sony's network was down for 2 months, thus Live is superior LULZ!" like stupid fanboys on other forums.

The problem I have with the network security argument is that it will seem valid now, but most people will dismiss it as fanboy bait once recent events have blown over.

#10 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

Sony's network was down for 2 months, thus Live is superior LULZ!

#11 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

Some people are acting like this is the end of everything. Is the PS3 really completely useless without PSN?

#12 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:42 PM

You know how Black Ops sold like crazy? Weirdly, a bunch of people weren't put off by... well, playing it. I'm actually shocked by the amount of people that are completely freaking out about not being able to play CoD, and seeing their withdrawal type symptoms is one of the most convincing arguments I've seen concerning the addictive properties of gaming. It's all just really great viewing... Edit: Heh, just realized some people here might like Black Ops and have felt insulted, I'm sure it was an okay game, I just couldn't seem to get into it...

Edited by UHYVE, 12 May 2011 - 02:50 PM.

#13 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

Posted Image

#14 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

PS3 Blops players have been frustrated since day one. I don't know all the details, but from what I've read the game ran like total crap due to both the framerate and from the PSN not functioning properly.

#15 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:13 AM

I wouldn't mind trying it out for a bit if you still have the code.

Sorry, the code is gone.

Some people are acting like this is the end of everything.

Is the PS3 really completely useless without PSN?

Good point. I'm just talking about Live being a better online service and really showing it's value right now, I understand there are good games on the PS3 that you don't need to play online with. I can bet you a lot of the people without PSN right now would have now happily paid the $50 to avoid all of this.

#16 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:42 PM

Sorry, the code is gone.

Good point. I'm just talking about Live being a better online service and really showing it's value right now, I understand there are good games on the PS3 that you don't need to play online with. I can bet you a lot of the people without PSN right now would have now happily paid the $50 to avoid all of this.

That goes back to what I was saying about fanboyism. Services go down, it is a part of life. Sometimes the damage is more extensive than the precautions planned for (see Japan earthquake). However, the problems will be fixed and there's no reason for us to toss around arguments that are only valid for the duration of the failure. Six months from now, I think most PSN players still wouldn't agree that Live is worth $60 bucks a year so long as there are no more failures. They're going to forgive and forget.

If this becomes a repeating problem then yes, then the argument would hold.

#17 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:34 PM

Wow, people just keep on kicking:

"Security researcher John Bumgarner discovered a potential bonanza for hackers by using little more than a web browser, Google's search engine and a basic understanding of Internet security systems."
http://www.reuters.c...E74C70420110513

#18 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

That goes back to what I was saying about fanboyism. Services go down, it is a part of life. Sometimes the damage is more extensive than the precautions planned for (see Japan earthquake). However, the problems will be fixed and there's no reason for us to toss around arguments that are only valid for the duration of the failure. Six months from now, I think most PSN players still wouldn't agree that Live is worth $60 bucks a year so long as there are no more failures. They're going to forgive and forget.

If this becomes a repeating problem then yes, then the argument would hold.

Services do go down, that is part of life. Them going down due to them having to rewrite a piss-poor security system to protect a bunch of information stolen from their customers? That is not part of life. That is poor service. If not wanting to have my shit stolen, and expecting accountability on behalf of a company is "fanboyism" then I'll go hang out with Chad Warden. To say this will only be relevant for the duration of the problem is audacious.

Fact of the matter is, this happened to PSN, not Xbox Live. Thinking that a lot of PSN users wont think differently after this incident is naive at best. I can tell you right now it will most certainly convince me from the future purchase of a Sony console. Especially given their already shameful attempts of protecting their other merchandise (i.e. the PSP.)

Oh, and don't even forget about the developers who are getting horribly burned during this. I bet companies like Zipper who released an online game are stoked that it flopped horribly due to PSN being down. Or how about how it is affecting development? Beta testing can't be done. This outbreak will affect game releases from the next year, especially the holiday. I'm sure the PSN users wont be so easy to "forgive and forget" when holiday titles release with shitty net coding.

Edited by Nightshade, 13 May 2011 - 08:05 PM.

#19 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:18 AM

This seems like the appropriate place for this.

"Security researcher John Bumgarner discovered a potential bonanza for hackers by using little more than a web browser, Google's search engine and a basic understanding of Internet security systems."
http://www.reuters.c...E74C70420110513

Oh, and this article really just leaves you with the impression that they aren't even trying...

Edited by mattacus, 15 May 2011 - 04:24 AM.

#20 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:46 AM

Them going down due to them having to rewrite a piss-poor security system to protect a bunch of information stolen from their customers? That is not part of life. That is poor service.

I bolded the portion I have a problem with. Being presumptuous until we have the facts is ludicrous and defines the term "fanboy." However, we have an analysis now, so it's safe to say Sony's security blows.

To say this will only be relevant for the duration of the problem is audacious.

Fact of the matter is, this happened to PSN, not Xbox Live. Thinking that a lot of PSN users wont think differently after this incident is naive at best. I can tell you right now it will most certainly convince me from the future purchase of a Sony console.

I don't agree. Business history tells people eventually forget. Just in Sony's own console history, it's was well known launch PS2's had a laser alignment design flaw and many systems broke after 6 months. After it was fixed, everyone forgot and the system went on to be arguable the best console in gaming history. Sony never admitted to the problem, even after settling a class action lawsuit four years later. Hardly anyone remembers this, and those who do don't care unless they were burned. I believe history will repeat itself.

I can tell you right now it will most certainly convince me from the future purchase of a Sony console.

So would I, or at the very least make sure Sony never sees my identity information. However, I believe most consumers will forget.

What exactly is the problem with the PSP? I don't follow handhelds, but from what I gather it's hacked to death and online play is a joke. If that's the case, you're talking about a long term effect, not an isolated incident.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq