#21 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,061 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:10 PM

Deftech, where are you in HZD?  That game is my GotY, and possibly my favorite game of this generation.  Maybe of the past several generations. 

#22 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

I obsessed over Horizon HARD when it came out earlier this year. Probably top 5-10 games I've ever played, the story was just so fucking good and the combat was the best I've seen in an open world game. There aren't many games where I do everything and still log in months later just to walk around and take in the sights and sounds, but boy howdy that was one of them. 

Some other games I've had lots of fun with and/or obsessed over in the past 1+ years in kinda chronological order:

- Stardew Valley

- Witcher 3 (probably my favorite game ever, scratched every single gaming itch I have and gave me belly rubs)

- ABZU

- Overwatch (only play a little when the holiday updates come out, still fun for a few rounds of quick play)

- DOOM

- Dark Souls 3 (the last DLC for this wrapped up the Souls trilogy extremely well and still left enough mystery to fill in yourself)

- Dead Cells

- Titanfall 2 (this game is still fun as shit and it's a shame nobody ever bought it)

- That giant Kingdom Hearts collection (story makes no goddamn sense but they're the only games my wife watched me play start to finish)

- Sonic Mania (Sanic was the first video game I ever played, this game made me feel like I was 6 again playing my Genesis)

- Zelda BOTW

- Super Mario Odyssey (this is the best Mario game Nintendo has made)

Also I've been playing a lot of Assassins Creed Origins lately since it was on sale last week and it takes a lot of cues from The Witcher. Not nearly as interesting a story but the combat is nice and tight and the world is the best Ubisoft has ever made. The year off was exactly what this franchise needed and I'm having a blast.

Edited by Kinetic, 02 December 2017 - 05:27 PM.

#23 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:18 AM

Paladins - When this launched, I wrote it off as an Overwatch clone and laughed it off. There are characters that are near copy pasta from Overwatch in this game, and the game modes are as well (mostly). But, I was looking for something competitive to play on the PS4 and with this being a free to play game the price was right. After giving it a shot, I must say, this game is ten times more enjoyable to play than Overwatch. Unlike Overwatch, which allows players to switch characters at will during the course of a match, Paladins locks players to their character at the start. This eliminates people yelling at teammates to switch characters, and doesn't get you banned from the game for playing a character you enjoy playing as (Overwatch started banning people for 'one tricking' which is ridiculous). If you have a bad team comp, you can set your expectations for the game right at the beginning, but the game is malleable enough that I can make plays that can make up for a bad comp (as long as the team plays the objective). The F2P elements aren't too bad, as I've been able to unlock enough characters to allow me to play ranked in a few days. I could go on about it, but I don't want to write up a novel here. It's a fun game, and it's free. Give it a shot.

NM, latest patch is introducing a bunch of P2W shit. Deleted.

Deftech, where are you in HZD?  That game is my GotY, and possibly my favorite game of this generation.  Maybe of the past several generations. 

Leaving Meridian to help that guy with the thing about his sister.

#24 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:00 AM

I've been playing a lot of Assassins Creed Origins lately since it was on sale last week and it takes a lot of cues from The Witcher. Not nearly as interesting a story but the combat is nice and tight and the world is the best Ubisoft has ever made. The year off was exactly what this franchise needed and I'm having a blast.

I'm curious what you like about the combat in AC: Origins. I haven't played it, but it always looked like tryhard (bad) Dark Souls combat. The animations and dodges look janky, enemies weirdly freeze when they get hit, and it seems like it takes a ton of hits to kill anything.

#25 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:24 AM

Ok, so you've gotten to the point where the game hard pivots from "Scrappy Doo gonna prove them people wrong!!!" Into the whole Seeker storyline... Keep playing. If you get to the point where you meet up with Lance Reddick as Zavala as another character whose name I can't remember... And you still are not hooked, then maybe you won't like it.

Actually, probably before that, when you climb a huge tower and find out what "Zero Dawn" is...

#26 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:22 AM

I'm curious what you like about the combat in AC: Origins. I haven't played it, but it always looked like tryhard (bad) Dark Souls combat. The animations and dodges look janky, enemies weirdly freeze when they get hit, and it seems like it takes a ton of hits to kill anything.

It's hitbox based combat but I never felt like the game was trying to be Dark Souls, it's still way too arcade-y for that. And with a regular sword most cannon-fodder enemies will go down in about 4 hits unless you're way overleveled (heavy weapons in 2-3, or 1). I liked how it felt when blows connect and it's easy to combo into light and heavy attacks, and each weapon-type feels different and has a very distinct moveset. The AI will surround you and appropriately attack from multiple directions unlike past AC games that were notorious for the "let's throw ourselves at this murder windmill one at a time" approach.

#27 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,963 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:48 PM

It will shock no one that I've been playing absolute schlock for most of the year.

Sans Zelda (~300 hours) and Mario (50 hours), I've spent most of my time on Warframe (~80 hours - but I'm done with it, needed something to prevent myself from caving and getting Destiny and this did just that) and FFXIV (500+ hours at last count - this game is actually amazing if you're into MMOs, it's super casual and lets you tackle whatever, whenever - it is the perfect game for me at this point in my life). I just can't be arsed getting into a hardcore game anymore, so this casual shit is the best. I play a lot of ports/emulators on my phone as well during my commute, but otherwise it has been a pretty unremarkable year for me. I still play Halo with my brother every now and then, we will hang out and beat a couple of titles in the MCC - the only thing it's good for anymore, unfortunately.

Standouts not mentioned above include MYST (I've lost track of how many times I've completed this one) and Stardew Valley as well.

Edited by Drew, 27 December 2017 - 01:52 PM.

#28 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:07 PM

After playing Horizon a bit more, it's basically Assassins Creed with dinobots and slightly better combat.

Got a Switch for Christmas, and have been playing Zelda with my wife. Outside of the incredibly annoying weapon breaking mechanic, it's pretty good. We've been making steady progress thus far, and have knocked out a few of the shrines off of the plateau.

Edited by deftech, 28 December 2017 - 08:08 PM.

#29 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:01 PM

Anyone playing sea of thieves?

#30 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:12 PM

Anyone playing Monster Hunter? It real gud

#31 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:16 PM

Anyone playing Monster Hunter? It real gud

I will be when it's on PC. Hopefully Drew will be joining me.

Sea of Thieves sounds disappointing...

#32 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:51 PM

I will be when it's on PC. 

No

Play now on Playstation

#33 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,963 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

I will be when it's on PC. Hopefully Drew will be joining me.

Sea of Thieves sounds disappointing...

That was my plan... Really was hoping to wait for the PC version before I had a go at it.

P.S.: Join the Discord.

Edited by Drew, 17 April 2018 - 03:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq