Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:44 PM

Word is coming out on the MLG forums (and I've confirmed it with some folks in the know) that Bungie showed off Smuggler, tonight, and it is a Chill Out remake called "Cold Storage." Nothing else is known yet, but info will probably be trickling out all night as the attendees get home.

#2 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

NightShade, you make a good point. It does look very similar to Halo 2's Gravemind level. Playing those parts of the level were a pain on the Legendary difficulty. And a Chill Out remake might be cool. The original map seemed barren to me, but if they made it smaller it would work very well in Halo 3.

#3 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:23 PM

The original map seemed barren to me, but if they made it smaller it would work very well in Halo 3.

Posted Image

#4 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:24 PM

Screenshots can be found by following the link in this article. I'm so tired of remakes. In addition, this map needs considerably more M6D.

EDIT: Remember all of the stuff Voc and I pointed to as possible reasons for the shortcomings in small maps in Halo 3? Yeah, Chill Out has all of those problems too. It was far and away the campiest map in Halo 1, at least in 4 v 4 and with default weapon starts. Ugh. "This isn't Rainbow Six!"

Edited by Syracuse022, 14 June 2008 - 06:41 PM.

#5 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:31 PM

Screenshots can be found by following the link in this article. I'm so tired of remakes. In addition, this map needs considerably more M6D.

OMG that looks awesome. I'm glad that Bungie is making remakes. The maps in Halo 3 weren't near as good as the maps in Halo CE/Halo 2.

Chillout looks very different, but still familier. I hope it still plays similar to the original, even though it doesn't have the M6D anymore.

#6 Oozer

Oozer
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

Didn't we think we saw them testing a Chill Out remake in one of the Vidocs last year?

#7 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:37 PM

Yep. I posted all of the search results because of a few gems that also get returned by a search, in addition to our discussion of the Vidoc that featured Chill Out.

For example:

well, the day I want to play Chill Out with lunge melees is the day you know I've hit rock bottom.

Do you guys realize how broken Chill Out would be in the Halo 3 engine? It hurts me to even think about playing that level without an M6D and a freezing plasma rifle.

Edited by Syracuse022, 14 June 2008 - 07:37 PM.

#8 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:40 PM

Back in November, MLG named Chill Out as its most wanted remake for Halo 3.

After polling everyone in the MLG offices and a bunch of friends from the competitive gaming community, Chill Out made the top of almost every single person’s list. Unlike most other maps from Halo that get mentions for the list, Chill Out would be perfect in its original incarnation. While slight tweaks would be nice for Forge (such as replacing the plasma rifle in bottom main room and the needlers on broken bridge), most of the map is perfect and would translate well to Halo 3.

#9 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:41 PM

cant wait to see some high res images of those

#10 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:02 AM

Cold Storage shakeycam

The guys you can hear talking don't know much about the game... :P

Looks like it's a pretty accurate remake.

#11 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:46 AM

The guys you can hear talking don't know much about the game... :P

That's the first teleporter in Halo 3!

Is everything supposed to be blue, or is it just the quality of the camera that made it like that? Because it would be sick if everything was blue.

#12 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:04 AM

That's the first teleporter in Halo 3!

?

Not sure what you meant here. There are teleporters by default in Avalanche and almost every map allows you to add them in Forge if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways, footage looks great. Wasn't a huge fan of Chill Out in the Halo 1 days, but I'm really looking forward to it here - it looks bigger to me than the original, which, when considering the sandbox of Halo 3, is probably a good thing. It definitely has a great design and should fit nicely in their current cache of maps. Hopefully it performs really well. Luke mentioned on GAF that we would get a full preview on B.net later this week, so I'm looking forward to that.

Now I can't wait to see Moonbase and Purple Reign.

#13 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:26 AM

?

Not sure what you meant here. There are teleporters by default in Avalanche and almost every map allows you to add them in Forge if I'm not mistaken.

He was quoting the guys in the video. That's what I was talking about when I said "the guys talking don't seem to know much about the game."

And yeah, I can't wait for the other two, either.

#14 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

This is easily the worst map I've yet to play, taking the position that had formerly been held by Blackout. I'm certain it will retain this status until a newly remade map is announced, in which case, I will decry that as an epic fail before I so much as see a full resolution screenshot. <3

#15 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:49 AM

He was quoting the guys in the video. That's what I was talking about when I said "the guys talking don't seem to know much about the game."

And yeah, I can't wait for the other two, either.

Ah, okay. Saw the video but, I had the sound shut off. Now it makes sense.

#16 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:54 PM

Yea, the guys filming make the experience very comical. And I'm not that stupid, Voc.

I never really liked Chill Out, but that's probally because I didn't play it too much. Usually my firends and I played on Blood Gulch Sidewinder. Most of these matches consisted of sticky wars...

#17 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:09 PM

Looks like it's a pretty accurate remake.

Hmmm... yes, Blackout is a pretty "accurate" remake as well.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#18 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:27 PM

You make a good point, Self. Blackout is a prime example to what will happen if change even the slightest of details. Blackout plays similarly to Lockout, but the two do not compare in my eyes.

#19 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:33 PM

Stormtrooper, I have an ethernet cable that I can sell you that will improve your gameplay experiences online in immeasurable ways. Never before will your packets be as pampered as they are when traveling through the Denon AK-DL1, never before will they have the luxury of tin alloy shielding and high purity copper. Chop nanoseconds off your game time with the Denon AK-DL1.

Try downloading a map over one of those babies too, oh man. The pixels, they'll be so crisp.

#20 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:01 PM

Try downloading a map over one of those babies too, oh man.

LOL.

At any rate, I think for me Chill Out's biggest problem in Halo: Combat Evolved was that it was such a tight map from a movement and corridor perspective for me. When I typically played, it was with 8-12 people on three TVs max (only once did we have four at 16 players). This usually meant I had a small corner of a 26" 4:3 CRT. Not a lot of real estate. The bigger the map and the more open the better. While we played Prisoner and Battle Creek on occasion, we typically played Blood Gulch, Sidewinder and Hang 'em High.

I'm thinking Cold Storage is going to do really well. I can't wait to see some of the new shots we should be getting this week from B.net.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq