Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ReconO7

ReconO7

Colt: The original point click interface

• 14 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:45 AM

Here is an in depth look at some of the features of the weapons in Halo 3 that you may not have noticed, some of this cool little things you never saw, others things that will leave your scratching your head.

I was playing on that new map Blackout messing around and shooting the Magnum and I noticed some very interesting markings on the weapon. So I then immediately went to Forge and started looking at every single weapon to try and find some little piece of awesome that no one else had found. While most weapons don't contain secret messages some do have some very interesting things about them. (I did look around the forums for something like this but couldn't find anything)

I went through in a Forge game and laid out all the weapons and fired them all as well. These are the interesting things I found. All the images were taken from the game with in the Theater and Uploaded onto ImageShack so that they would not be lost.

HUMAN WEAPONS

First off every single human bullet shell will have the letters CHIEF EG-X etched onto them, here, where the ammunition manufacture and caliber are on most shells, with the exception of the shotgun (I'll get to that). The CHIEF part is easy to understand, you play the Master Chief but I don't understand the EG-X part. But you may be saying, "Why look it's not a G its a C or something else," I thought that the lower right portion of the letter was thicker and more characteristic of a G. If someone can enlighten me on this that would be great.

The shotgun has two notable characteristics about it, the first is the shell casing has the letters HIPPO EG-X instead of CHIEF EG-X here. The second notable characteristic of the shotgun is on the side of the shell it has printed on it 8GA and a picture of a hippo here. The 8GA has an obvious meaning; it is an 8 gauge shotgun. (8 GA shotguns are the most powerful because they are the biggest and as far as I'm aware in the US only the military can use them) Now you know why the letters HIPPO where etched on the shell as well. Hippo is likely a manufacture or Bungie just has a thing for hippo's, I dont know.
(this was also done in the previous Halo games as well, read about that here. Another thing to mention on the shotgun is where you load the shells into the magazine it has some letters stamped on it seen here. I don't know what it is that they say (it could be CLEAN but its too hard for me to tell)

The most interesting of the human weapons is of course, the pistol, or Magnum in Halo 3. Two things before we get into the grit, they display the manufacture and caliber here, Misriah Armory and 12.7 mm (or .50 cal). They also show this stamped in the side of the Magnum. the M could mean Model or Misriah (the manufacture ) I'm not sure but its most liky the latter, it is then followed by a funny looking triangle like thing (this could be the manufacture logo which is said to be a "winged hourglass flanked by double X's" and the numbers 2552, possibly the year that the weapon was made in.

Now for the most puzzling part. On the top of the Magnum are what appears to be two Asian charaters seen HERE. Bungie had a similar thing rolling in Halo: CE with the Pistol. (more info here(look where it says Chinese about eight bullets down. They did have a picture showing it but now its gone, it was seen when you pulled the slide back when equipping the weapon) Seeing as I am not an expert of Asian languages someone here might know someone that is and if they could elucidate us on this matter I would be quite thankful.

COVENANT WEAPONS

Just a small note before we begin, these weapons have incredibly detailed surfaces, take a look here. Most people will never see this but I was surprised when I found this level of detail. Good work Bungie.

There weren’t a whole lot of cool things with the Covie weapons but I did notice on all of them there were a couple of lines grouped together, usually in fours, on all of the weapons, Plasma and Brute included. At first I though that they were important but now I'm not so sure. Look carefully and you can see them here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, several times here, and finally here. Some of these little patterns repeat and others are unique.

The coolest thing that you never noticed is on the Sword. They look to be Forerunner symbols on what I guess is the pommel of the sword here. These are more detailed views here, here, and here. There is some more information of Forerunner symbols here. I don't think that we have any kind of translation from Forerunner to English but if you have any kind of insight, please share.

One last thing I found was a little Caution sign on the back of the mongoose here detailing the maximum weight that a passengers can be. Just so you know, 450kg is about 1,000 lbs, right on track with how much the Mark VI suit weighs.

If you see anything that I left out or wish to add anything I will do my best to update the post, thanks ahead.

#2 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:45 PM

Seeing as I am not an expert of Asian languages someone here might know someone that is and if they could elucidate us on this matter I would be quite thankful.

Where's Sharpe when we need him.

This is actually a pretty cool thread. Looking at the weapons up close like that is interesting.

#3 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:36 PM

Misriah Armory and 12.7 mm (or .50 cal).

I find this bit to be the most histerical. It's an obvious joke from Bungie.
If the magnums shot .50 cal bullets we would all be killed by the massive amount of recoil. Plus the pistol would be gargantuan.

Posted Image

Yay for the magnum!

Edited by Stormtrooper30, 09 July 2008 - 01:38 PM.

#4 ReconO7

ReconO7

• 14 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:49 PM

I find this bit to be the most histerical. It's an obvious joke from Bungie.
If the magnums shot .50 cal bullets we would all be killed by the massive amount of recoil. Plus the pistol would be gargantuan.

Keep in mind that the Desert Eagle can shoot a .50 cal round (look far left)

Posted Image

But I do agree the amount of recoil would be stagering and there are likely plunty of people that have broken thier nose shooting one

Edited by ReconO7, 09 July 2008 - 01:50 PM.

#5 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

Oh yea, I forgot all about that. The "elephant pistol." hehe.

#6 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:22 PM

Uh, no, there are pistols chambered to higher calibers Stormtrooper. .600 Nitro, for example. As for the asian characters, I think they're Korean.

#7 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:29 PM

Where's Sharpe when we need him.

This is actually a pretty cool thread. Looking at the weapons up close like that is interesting.

Dammit...if only we had someone else around here who speaks asian!

#8 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:37 PM

Dammit...if only we had someone else around here who speaks asian!

I know! I think Kinetic does. Make yourself useful "J" man.

#9 ReconO7

ReconO7

• 14 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:19 PM

*UPDATE*

Here is another thing that I just found. This is the top view of 343 Guilty Spark from the level The Ark in campaign, you might notice a familiar little symbol on the inner casing. I first noticed this in Forge but took the screenshot from campaign just to be sure. I haven't seen this anywhere so mabye you guys here at Ascendant Justice can make use of it.

Edited by ReconO7, 09 July 2008 - 06:20 PM.

#10 Saevio

Saevio

Check out my gunz

• 124 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:19 PM

But I do agree the amount of recoil would be stagering and there are likely plunty of people that have broken thier nose shooting one

In case you never noticed, you do play as a cybernetic super soldier sporting some pretty nifty armor. I think that might cut down on the recoil.

#11 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:20 AM

In case you never noticed, you do play as a cybernetic super soldier sporting some pretty nifty armor. I think that might cut down on the recoil.

In case you never noticed, the Marines also wield the pistol without nifty cybernetic super duper armor.

#12 Saevio

Saevio

Check out my gunz

• 124 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:12 AM

In case you never noticed, the Marines also wield the pistol without nifty cybernetic super duper armor.

Have you ever fired a Desert Eagle? The kick is not super uncontrollable, but it makes the gun very uncomfortable to fire. The Marines could fire it, but nowhere near as accurate as The Chief. Plus, weapons like that (high-caliber pistols and SMG's) are basically useless in a battlefield scenario. Maybe in the future they will become useful thanks to the Super-V tech now coming out. Maybe beasts like the Beowulf .50 Assault Rifle will be tamed.

Beowulf

Same goes for the sniper rifle. Here's the real life counterpart of the Halo Sniper Rifle.

NTW 20mm Sniper Rifle

Edited by Saevio, 10 July 2008 - 10:16 AM.

#13 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

Plus, weapons like that (high-caliber pistols and SMG's) are basically useless in a battlefield scenario.

What do you mean? SMGs are used by Spec Ops teams all around the world.

And no, I've never been able to fire the Dessert Eagle. I've seen the videos though.

#14 Saevio

Saevio

Check out my gunz

• 124 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

What do you mean? SMGs are used by Spec Ops teams all around the world.

And no, I've never been able to fire the Dessert Eagle. I've seen the videos though.

I mean high-caliber SMG's Anything higher than 9mm caliber is unnecessary. At the ranges that they are usually used at ,there is no chance for a retaliation by the enemy, like room clearing. But I'm all for intermediate rounds such as the 4.6mm that the MP7 fires, or the 5.7mm round of the P90.

As the Desert Eagle goes, it's fun for the first few rounds, but then you start to feel it in your elbow and wrist.

Edited by Saevio, 10 July 2008 - 12:36 PM.

#15 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:59 PM

I mean high-caliber SMG's Anything higher than 9mm caliber is unnecessary. At the ranges that they are usually used at ,there is no chance for a retaliation by the enemy, like room clearing.

9mm won't cut through bodyarmor. Period. The use and need for weapons, like the MP7, are quite possibly the ideal weapon to use for room clearing.

#16 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:01 PM

I mean high-caliber SMG's Anything higher than 9mm caliber is unnecessary. At the ranges that they are usually used at ,there is no chance for a retaliation by the enemy, like room clearing. But I'm all for intermediate rounds such as the 4.6mm that the MP7 fires, or the 5.7mm round of the P90.

As the Desert Eagle goes, it's fun for the first few rounds, but then you start to feel it in your elbow and wrist.

Oh, OK, I see what you're saying now.

I agree that high caliber pistols and SMGs are impractical. There's no use in having so much stopping power if you cant control where you shoot it.
The 9mm round used in the MP4 (I think) is getting pretty out of date. I hope the MP7 will start seeing action in the law efforcement catagory.

#17 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:00 PM

You don't use an SMG to enter a room when your intent is to wound anyone you find. Anyone holding an MP5 and skilled is going to have no problem getting shots in on a target's face or any exposed part of their body.

That said, most of today's enemies don't have body armor anyway. It's why the M4/M16 is overkill in Iraq and Afghanistan, the projectile was meant to penetrate one layer of body armor and do cartwheels through their flesh and bone and bounce around inside. This wounded but still moving soldier is a lost cause but fellow soldiers will be inclined to help anyone, in the off chance their buddy will make it. Of course the M4 and M16 are very capable at kill shots, but the wounding of an enemy and the armor penetration were pretty primary goals.

But it's not necessary, like I said, we haven't fought a modern military opponent in quite a while. You can use an MP5 in Iraq without problem, 9mm works just as well as .45 or 5.57. The M4 or M16 might be overkill, and the ammo isn't cheap, but it's not like we're particularly worried about Iraqis wearing super-modern body armor, fortifying their houses with modern ceramics and the like.

#18 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:45 PM

I'm interested to see what the U.S. will deam as our next service weapon. The M16 is over-do for a replacement. You're right about it being effective in Iraq, but if we were to get into a conflict with a World Power we would be in some deep shit using our M16s. There are so many choices, do you think the U.S. will develope thier own weapon or choose from thr numerous nominees? I've seen a few badass weapons on Future Weapons. :)

#19 txlonghorn

txlonghorn

Read a newspaper

• Veteran
  • 515 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:51 AM

I think we are now using the M-4. I really don't know a whole lot about it, but the Geneva Convention set forth rules for combat that really curb the need for technological advances in man to man battle. They set rules for the size of ammunition and speed that is can travel. They are designed keep the military from making guns and ammunition that simply maim a combatant, since a wounded soldier takes out two soldiers, the injured and one to carry him out of the battle. These rules are only in effect when shooting at a person, just to clarify.

#20 Saevio

Saevio

Check out my gunz

• 124 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:37 AM

I hope they go with the M468.

Edited by Saevio, 12 July 2008 - 11:37 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq