Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:11 AM

Posted Image

#3 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:18 AM

"Don't show this to the internet..." Triumphant last words.

#4 vtancredi

vtancredi
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:17 AM

"Don't show this to the internet..."

Triumphant last words.

The best part is when he says "If you ever need anything Cort, I'm always awake!"

#5 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

Hopefully the new level editor will be much easier to use than Forge, like having the ability to "click" items together instead of laying them side by side and hoping they stay.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#6 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hopefully the new level editor will be much easier to use than Forge, like having the ability to "click" items together instead of laying them side by side and hoping they stay.

Here goes hoping for something like the Far Cry editor.

#7 Maj Williams

Maj Williams
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:26 PM

Here goes hoping for something like the Far Cry editor.

yeah, i'm friggin excited, and I hardly ever use forge. This will probably give me no choice but to enjoy the insane amounts of time I play on Halo now within forge.

#8 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:04 PM

I'm definitely open to criticism on this, but I think (ignoring the campaign characters on Rat's Nest - which I have no answer to), the item at the end of the video appears to be from one of the new Halo maps. We can probably say with some certainty that the two most likely maps to appear in the Mythic Map Pack (I think that's what they'll be calling it based on comments at ComicCon) are Purple Reign, a symmetrical Covenant-centric map, and Spacecamp/Moonbase Alpha, a UNSC space platform - neither of which are featured here.

Posted Image

Large version here.

If this is the third map, then it is likely that they're continuing the trend of Foundry-esque maps which are created around the concept of Forge. Bungie took a bit of grief for certain things in Foundry - not because it wasn't a good concept for a map, but because a lot of people thought that it didn't go far enough. I think what we're seeing here in this massive blue grid is an infrastructure which acts as a platform for object placement. While it'll likely come with its own default layout, the map can be reverted back to its primal state - a complete stage of blue grids in a black and blank space.

This could mean a few things:
  • It likely means that we will be able to place objects which act as the ground, probably from a diverse amount of them.
  • Secondly, there are probably a handful of preset skyboxes which can be loaded like the filters are currently, by the placement of spheres. The skybox, of course, would have its own dynamic lighting system attached just as it does in any level.
  • The map will require a rim around (probably similar in color and shape to the floor/ground textures) the side to prevent players from leaving it and it would already have pre-installed collision barriers as we get on all maps.
Obviously the amount of control is huge here. Although in this video, we see what appears to be a human hovel like structure (two or three floor pieces with a box-like room structure), covering multiple squares in the grid, what we have seen in the G4 video appears to display Forerunner assets in what is presumably the same map. I guess I'm curious if we're going to get any naturally occurring geometry, like something we'd find on the ground outside (snow, grass, sand, etc), trees or large rocks. It's possible, being that these items will take up a variety of sizes and shapes - hell, there could even be one which is a hill, taking up a dozen or so squares.

Something Dirtbag mentioned to me tonight made even more sense. If Bungie were to release this sort of map for Halo 3, the volume of Forge maps available will be mind-numbing. After sifting through the unsuccessful maps, a few chosen periodically might appear in a Forge hopper. Customized content on existing maps and on this map which will have seemingly limitless options could appear in this new hopper. Within the framework of Halo, I honest believe that this is the best possible explanation for that last shot of Luke in that video.

What do you guys think?

#9 Khyberius

Khyberius

The Pretty Prince of Parties

• 52 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:34 PM

I think that deserves a place in the blog, Like in a post about the Mythic Map Pack

Edited by Khyberius, 13 August 2008 - 10:37 PM.

#10 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:00 AM

Tron Lightcycles confirmed.

#11 Maj Williams

Maj Williams
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

Tron Lightcycles confirmed.

Posted Image
"This is blue leader to blue bikes. Run these guys into your jet walls."

and voc:

I think as we talked about last night, that the skyboxes are right on, with a defined barrier.
I also think you have some good points about a predefined hills and such.

this is a quick thought of mine and I ask other people to prove me wrong: Is that piece that luke is standing on at the end of the video similar to the wall that the bungie employees were standing in front of for the G-4 acceptance video?

I know its not the same, but it could be similar? maybe?

Edited by Maj Williams, 14 August 2008 - 04:15 PM.

#12 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

I'm fairly positive both of those videos take place on the same level, just within two different created areas.

Besides the similar color schemes...

Posted Image

See the ridges on the floor pieces?

Whatever we've got coming, I think it is going to be big.

#13 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:03 PM

I think that deserves a place in the blog, Like in a post about the Mythic Map Pack

A small mention might be worth it, but we have very little to go on about these videos. We don't know exactly what purpose the content in the video holds. I would wait and see what comes out of this.

#14 Maj Williams

Maj Williams
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

nice cocop - thanks for confirming that for me. it is DEFINITELY going to be big.

#15 Hopdaddy

Hopdaddy
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

I am looking forward to this.

A lot

#16 Ares Vale

Ares Vale

Myself, I think...

• 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

Finally something good to replace Forge mode. That's all I've been able to pick up from reading this, as my flash player isn't good enough to see the video. Even something like the tony hawk editor would be better than forge in some respects. True it wouldn't be better in all but it might be more useful. Anyway, those shots are likley from a created area within that map, or perhaps even from the Bungie Map Creator program.

#17 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:40 PM

It's highly doubtful that they are replacing Forge. My guess is that they are creating a more expanded version (in other words better) of Foundry as it's own map in part of this new pack like Voc has stated already. It would actually make more sense to do something along those lines as it wouldn't take as much work as creating another program dedicated to making maps, and thus we won't have to worry about getting charged more.

#18 vtancredi

vtancredi
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:05 AM

Something Dirtbag mentioned to me tonight

Sorry, can't help giggling when reading this!

#19 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

My guess is that they are creating a more expanded version (in other words better) of Foundry as it's own map in part of this new pack like Voc has stated already.

Yup. A new map designed with Forge customization in mind.

#20 zenbaltz

zenbaltz

axisZENalive

• 199 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:39 AM

http://www.mlgpro.co...ad.php?t=195005

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq