Photo

Battlefield: Bad Company

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 SCHULTZ

SCHULTZ
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:47 PM

Got my key through Comcast's free IGN Insider offer. I kinda enjoyed the Frontlines demo, but didn't buy the retail game. I'm enjoying these occasional beta/demo opportunities: PSU, Shadowrun, FFXI, Halo3, Battlefield. Even if it's from a total marketing angle, it makes me more apt to buy the full game when it releases. (Didn't get in on CoD4, which in a very small way is why that game can suck me - I traded that perky arcade shooter for RS:V2.)

#42 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

So you traded a good game for a 'not so good' game? :mellow: Enjoy playing it by yourself.

#43 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

(Didn't get in on CoD4, which in a very small way is why that game can suck me - I traded that perky arcade shooter for RS:V2.)

What. Why?

As for the weapon purchase thing...

=(

#44 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:07 PM

So you traded a good game for a 'not so good' game? :mellow:

Enjoy playing it by yourself.

I lol'd. :thumbsup:

#45 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

Oh EA how you can so kiss the fattest part of my ass.

Posted Image

Oh microtransactions, how I loathe thee.

#46 SCHULTZ

SCHULTZ
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:05 AM

So you traded a good game for a 'not so good' game? :mellow:

Enjoy playing it by yourself.

Had 2 full 14-player rooms going from 9pm to 2am with my friends. I've been playing Rainbow Six 3, Black Arrow, Vegas, and now Vegas 2 with the same friends for the past 5 years. It's been a custom to play Rainbow Six 3 on Friday nights, in what we refer to as Drunken Friday night dead-room custom social games.

I have an arcade shooter: Halo3. Don't need another one. Rainbow is nothing like Halo or CoD4 = slow, tactical. When you die, you get a chance to sit back, watch and discuss the action or just shoot the breeze with your friends while drinking a beer or 6.

Vegas2 is better than Vegas1, so is the group concensus. Feels more like Black Arrow, which is a good thing.

#47 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:49 AM

You say 'arcade shooter' like it's a bad thing. There's nothing wrong in playing a game with like with a bunch of your friends. Whatever makes you happy I guess. So does that mean you're not going to join us in Bad Company, or are you more apt to join your friends in Vegas? It's going to feel more like Call of Duty 4 than Vegas, except with vehicles.

#48 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

Still no word on wether or not they'll open up the servers on Midnight?

#49 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:55 PM

Who wantz to give me a code? :tongue:

#50 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:27 AM

Who wantz to give me a code? :tongue:

Fileplant does!

Now's the time for anyone who missed out on the first wave to get a code.

#51 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:54 PM

Too late for public ones... Im too slow hah

#52 SCHULTZ

SCHULTZ
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:43 PM

You say 'arcade shooter' like it's a bad thing.

So does that mean you're not going to join us in Bad Company, or are you more apt to join your friends in Vegas? It's going to feel more like Call of Duty 4 than Vegas, except with vehicles.

I didn't mean it like a bad thing. I think arcade shooters, Halo in particular, are the height of FPS skills. Halo has alot of horizontal/vertical aiming, needs precision jumping, and now equipment for tactical use. The only arcade shooter I think requires more cerebral thought is Shadowrun, with all the rock/paper/scissors tech/magic abilities. Shame the guns don't have the punch of Halo.

No, I got my BF:BC beta code, and already downloaded the beta/demo. Won't be buying the extra guns though.
I thought CoD3 would have been cool with its vehicles, but the spawn camping was terrible.
I thought the Frontlines demo wasn't too bad, but didn't buy it.

Rainbow is a Fri night thing for me.

#53 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:54 PM

I got a code so I'll check it out. Anyone playing tonight?

#54 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:15 PM

Anyone playing tonight?

Right here.

#55 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:21 PM

I will be.

#56 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:23 PM

Anyone know what time it'll be up?

#57 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

Anyone know what time it'll be up?

Nope. Still no official word.

#58 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:24 AM

Servers are up. Initial thoughts: The visuals are, put quite simply, amazing. It isn't 60FPS, but all of the eye candy makes up for it. The particle effects are second to none, with thick, black smoke billowing from destroyed vehicles and the dust and rubble from a freshly destroyed wall clouding the screen and momentarily hiding your escape from the tank that caused the destruction. The textures are incredible as well, especially on characters and the environment. There's no tearing, either. They've completely fixed it by the looks of things. Anyway, all of this isn't going to help. You need to see it to believe it. Easily one of the best looking '360 games ever. Battlefield has always been aurally impressive, but Bad Company takes it to a whole new level. It makes Halo 3's "dynamic distance" system look like an incompetent fool. Every gun sounds unique, up close and far away. I haven't learned everything yet, but once I do, it'll be easy to listen to the crack of a rifle and be able to tell what it is and where it's coming from (the surround sound is another thing that needs to be seriously applauded, saved my life on two occasions already). Vehicles sound great, and while most of the time they were drowned out by the drone of battle, ambient effects were also done really well. However, the one thing that tops them all are the explosions. I can't even describe how awesome they are. Near or far, it doesn't matter. They're just amazing. So, what's probably the most important of all, gameplay. Forget Modern Warfare. This game feels, and plays, like the PC Battlefield. Anybody who's played both knows that this means only good things. Battlefield is back in full force. Teamwork, above all, is what will net you the victory. Working with your squad to secure objectives or defend a particular section of your base is key. There is no one-man army (though in the last game I played I did manage to earn 150 points more than anyone else on my team ). Anyway, it's good ol' Battlefield as we know, and it feels great. As for the destructibility, well, I've already got a bunch of stories to tell on that. One of the most memorable being when my squad and I were the last ones left in one of the bases on the desert map, all strategically positioned around the town to best take advantage of cover and elevation, when I hear one of my squadmates shout "Oh shit, there's a TA--" BLAM, the building across the street was blown to pieces and my squadmate wasn't in any better a situation. Our anti-tank ran through the smoke created by the blast and got an angle on the tank, making our squadmate's sacrifice not be in vain. It was awesome. Another one was when I was inside of a tallish structure picking off enemies through a small window when all of sudden, there wasn't a window. Hell, there wasn't even a wall. The entire side of the building had been blown clean off. It took me a good five seconds to register what happened, and when I did, I actually said out-loud "Holy shit. Holy SHIT!" and promptly high-tailed it from the incoming armor.

#59 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:54 AM

I like what I hear. Too bad I fell asleep like a bitch last night. Anybody plan to get together sometime today?

#60 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:10 AM

I like what I hear. Too bad I fell asleep like a bitch last night.

Anybody plan to get together sometime today?

Hell yes. As soon as I get home from work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq