• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:57 PM

Wii Launch And Price Details For Japan by Brian Ashcraft

Today in Tokyo, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata delivered what Japanese gamers had been waiting for: Wii pricing and a launch date. The next-gen Nintendo machine will retail for 25,000 yen (US $ 212.50) and will hit store shelves on Monday, December 2nd. The Wii will come with a Wii-mote (nunchuck and strap), AC adaptor, stand for console, A/V cable, sensor bar, stand for sensor bar and two AA batteries. There will be 16 games at launch, including The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Prices rage from 4,800 to 6,800 yen. So yep, America will get its Wii on before Japan, but Japan will be paying less.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#22 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:23 PM

If you missed them: A whole bunch of vids on Wii.
I got your back, Dual.

#23 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:32 AM

Wonder how much they'll charge in the UK. If it's ?150 I may consider getting it just because I had a ton of money saved up for the PS3 release...

The article also claims the Wii will have Web-surfing capabilities akin to that of a home computer. "Perhaps most intriguing, the Wii will make it possible to browse the Web on the television," said the report. "Microsoft's Xbox 360 does not permit this because that could negate the need to buy a Windows PC." Attempts to clarify the Wii's exact Internet capabilities with Nintendo reps had been unsuccessful as of press time, most likely because of the late hour.

Pretty weird that Gamespot are posting that as news really, I'm pretty sure that it's been confirmed since last E3 that the Wii will be using Opera, making the MS console the only console without a web browser.

#24 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:37 AM

The NYC event is over, and it would appear that most if not all of the recently posted material was accurate. Wii Sports will be bundled with the console and Bowlin' is in there. You can make your Wii Mii, like a digital you and save it to your remote, then go to a friend's place and use your character to play games. Etc. It's all good stuff.
I got your back, Dual.

#25 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:43 PM

You know, now my rage has subsided over the PS3 delay in England, I've decided a Wii isn't worth my while. As far as I know, most games won't be high definition (and all standard definition consoles that I have at the moment look horrible on my TV). Plus, the console is going to be ?180 (which is about $340, which is about 40,000 yen), so as always, the UK gets screw'd.

EDIT
They've also gotten rid of DVD playback, not that I care about that really, since I've already got 3 DVD players hooked up to my TV.

#26 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

I'm not getting Wii until 2007. Now, should there be some extremely insane online FPS game that proves a propper service, I think I might change my mind. I can feel your grief, UHYVE. Wait it out. It's what we should all do.
I got your back, Dual.

#27 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:12 PM

I know that I'll have one, but I don't know about launch. The only thing I'd even care to play is Zelda Twilight Princess. I think the system won't sell me until Mario Kart comes out online, unless of course they ruin the gameplay with that new controller.

#28 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:29 PM

I'll probably just dust off my gamecube for the new Zelda.... as long as they're still releasing it on the GC?

#29 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:56 AM

Online Mario Kart and Metroid is a must buy system for me. I just don't want the bullshit online system the DS has. Best example is having to switch between world games and friend games. wtf? And no voice chat in world games. F that plz.
I got your back, Dual.

#30 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

The Wii fucking owns. The standard sports game that comes with it is fun as hell, especially when we were playing the Boxing game.

We were able to grab up six Wii's this morning along with almost every single launch title. Actually...I think we did grab every title.

I haven't tried Zelda or any other game yet (that's just how fun the sports game really is, surprisingly) but I will very soon. Can't wait. =)

#31 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:30 PM

Amazon's starting preorders here on Tuesday. I'm alittle nervous about whether I'll be able to get my hands on one, since I've not heard anything about the UKs allocation of Wii's but yeah... not going to bed once the clock turns 12 on monday night, because that's when F5 time starts...

PS Guess that you're gonna be ebaying those then Dual, if sales are anything like the PS3s then you're in for some crazy profits.... shame they aren't multiregion though, would've tried to convince you to sell me one...

Edited by UHYVE, 19 November 2006 - 03:32 PM.

#32 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:00 PM

I may try to convince you to sell me one, if you don't mind. Not sure yet, but I'm definitely considering it... Wii60

Edited by Syracuse022, 19 November 2006 - 05:00 PM.

#33 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:07 PM

I don't have a problem with it. I believe he's selling them for $499 and that comes with a game of your choice. If you're still interested I'll ask him for the full details.

#34 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:28 PM

I don't have a problem with it. I believe he's selling them for $499 and that comes with a game of your choice. If you're still interested I'll ask him for the full details.

I'm sure he'll get buyers, but double the retail price just isn't worth it. People are foolish to pay that much because the Wii is easy produce and Nintendo shouldn't have too much trouble getting plenty more out on the shelves soon.

#35 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

What's annoying is, that isn't much more than what I have to pay in the UK to get a Wii and one game, but yeah, not multiregion, which sucks.

#36 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:19 AM

I managed to get onto the preorder list at amazon.co.uk. They sold out within 4 minutes, man that was tense.

#37 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:25 PM

I just played the Wii at my local EB Games. I'm pretty underwhelmed. The game they had loaded was Excite Truck. The game kind of stank. OK, maybe that's too harsh. The game was a mix between "blah" and "meh" with a little "neato" thrown in for the motion controls (and wicked sweet jumps).

They say that the Wii is not about the visuals and this game certainly proves it. You could have told me that I was playing a 1st generation Xbox game and I wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. The motion controls felt OK, but not analog stick precise. I was thinking, "if I had an analog stick I would be doing much better right now." However, that would kind of kill all the enjoyment because the only thing this game had going for it was it's (gimmicky?) control scheme (and wicked sweet jumps). It'd be like playing guitar hero without the guitar doodad and what's the point in doing that?

The Mii thing seemed kinda fun. I didn't take the time to create one though.

I need to see something much more impressive than what I saw today and a last generation Zelda title ported over last minute to make launch isn't it either. Although, you know I love me some Zelda.

#38 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:00 PM

Wellll, apparently, the clock speeds of the CPU and GPU of the Wii are actually around that of the original Xbox, though it's not really fair to compair to completely different processor architectures on clock speeds, it's just what people tend to go by on PCs. I don't really mind that much about the power thing though, as long as they manage to make a couple of Xbox quality graphics games.... which to be honest, hasn't happened yet.

#39 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:26 PM

They say that the Wii is not about the visuals and this game certainly proves it. You could have told me that I was playing a 1st generation Xbox game and I wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. The motion controls felt OK, but not analog stick precise. I was thinking, "if I had an analog stick I would be doing much better right now." However, that would kind of kill all the enjoyment because the only thing this game had going for it was it's (gimmicky?) control scheme (and wicked sweet jumps). It'd be like playing guitar hero without the guitar doodad and what's the point in doing that?

I played that same demo when I went to pick up GoW a few weeks ago and I thought the exact same thing about the controls being cumbersome. The game was honestly just difficult to play, though I'm not sure whether that's due to how the game is made or due to the Wiimote itself.

Wellll, apparently, the clock speeds of the CPU and GPU of the Wii are actually around that of the original Xbox, though it's not really fair to compair to completely different processor architectures on clock speeds, it's just what people tend to go by on PCs. I don't really mind that much about the power thing though, as long as they manage to make a couple of Xbox quality graphics games.... which to be honest, hasn't happened yet.

Yeah, the thing that bothers me most about that isn't the graphics so much (although its gonna be frustrating seeing Xbox 1-quality games compared to 2nd and 3rd gen PS3 and Xbox 360 games in a few years. The thing that bothers me is the overall power of the system. Bungie was inherently limited with what they could do gameplay wise on Halo 2 due to the Xbox's lack of power.

I dunno, I was thinking seriously about buying a Wii if I was able to find one in store last night (I wasn't), but I'm not sure how well it will hold up over time. I wouldn't mind playing some old GameCube games that I never touched, though, like Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Resident Evil 5, etc. Actually, looking at it that way, the Wii offers me a huge libary of cheap games right out of the box. Hmm....

Edited by jesusphreak, 21 November 2006 - 09:27 PM.

#40 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:28 AM

Yeah, the thing that bothers me most about that isn't the graphics so much (although its gonna be frustrating seeing Xbox 1-quality games compared to 2nd and 3rd gen PS3 and Xbox 360 games in a few years. The thing that bothers me is the overall power of the system. Bungie was inherently limited with what they could do gameplay wise on Halo 2 due to the Xbox's lack of power.

THat's exactly what I keep telling annoying Nintendo fans that think the Wii is the best thing to happen ever. They seem to think that the Wiimote opens so many possibilities when in my opinion, it forces games developers to use weird control schemes and there is such a big limit on power. I know it sounds like I'm totally against the Wii, but I am getting one, there are some games that I'm interested in getting (though not that many before christmas) and also, the Opera browser, if it has support for flash, will make this site very useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq