• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:01 PM

Nice picture of the new kiosks for the XBOX 360. Notice that it looks very clean and has a nice Samsung 23" LCD HDTV. It also allows you to plug in your own memory card so you can bring your game saves. It would be nice it they had these available before the console actually launches. I don't remember, but were there any XBOX kiosks at stores shortly before the XBOX launched? I think I remember seeing them, but I'm not sure.

Down to the best detail. Is it just me, or do I see redesigned super cool DUKE controllers on this picture? Looks like Syracuse might be in luck.
Posted Image

#2 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:32 PM

Yeah this is the picture I was talking about over live.

#3 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:29 AM

I don't know who the hell would buy a kiosk... but that duke looks sweet.
don't tread on me

#4 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 12:14 PM

I remember that they had dreamcast kiosk at my local cinema when that first came out, and a ps2 one at that's release aswell. So maybe, hopefully, they'll have a 360 kiosk at the cinema aswell.

#5 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:05 PM

I don't know who the hell would buy a kiosk... but that duke looks sweet.

Naw dude, these are kiosks that MS puts in retial locations so people can try their new console. You know like the ones you see at EB Games and Gamestop.

#6 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:02 PM

360 demo kiosks now playing at Wal-Mart

[UPDATE] Megaretailer is first to give public a tease of Microsoft's next-generation console; not all stores spinning 360s yet.

Hardcore fans on the quest to see the next piece of coveted hardware in the gaming industry may imagine a scenario that seems a bit like a game itself: After journeying away from the safety of their own town, they reach a giant edifice seemingly radiating raw power, and enter its giant doors. A grizzled old man gestures with his arm towards an enchanting box, and speaks the magical words, "Welcome."

Well, that's sort of the case, except the magical words muttered by the geriatric are "Welcome to Wal-Mart." Reports across the Web say that several Wal-Marts have received their Xbox 360 demonstration kiosks, some already in action, some in the process of being set up.

Don't expect to stroll into your local superstore and start blasting some next-gen Nazis just yet. GameSpot called several West Coast stores and hit pay dirt only once. Wal-Mart store #2549 in Spokane, Washington, was the only one of the dozen or so stores phoned that had an Xbox 360 kiosk. When asked what was playing on it, the clerk said that it was running a demo disc, which featured Call of Duty 2 and some other games. It's unclear if any of the games are actually playable.

Other stores didn't seem to be aptly filled in on their kiosk situation. One said they probably wouldn't get one until after November 22, one said all they had was a picture of the console, and others had no idea. The one store that did appear to know the deal was in Lynwood, Washington (near Microsoft's headquarters). The rep seemed particularly informed and told GameSpot, "We should be getting ours in the next couple of days or so."

Gaming blog Joystiq.com has a growing list of stores that readers claim have the kiosk, and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to the distribution. Both coasts and everything in between is represented, with stores in New Jersey, California, Minnesota, and Utah on the list.

[UPDATE] A manager for a Wal-Mart in Alabama has provided GameSpot with some more information regarding the kiosks. Apparently, most stores are simply waiting for a Microsoft representative to set up the stations in the stores. The disc the 360 is running contains videos of 10 games expected to make the console's launch, and it provides further info on the system. In addition, customers will be able to download content from the kiosk, provided they bring in a memory card...presumably one designed for the 360. The subject of said content remains unknown at this point.

GameStop up next for 360 kiosks

Beginning today game retailer joins Wal-Mart with demo stations for Microsoft's new console; all stores outfitted within a month.

For all the clamor from Microsoft about the Xbox 360 being the biggest thing in home entertainment since the TV dinner, the company sure is being quiet about when the public can get some hands-on time with the machine. In the past few days, Wal-Marts across the country were prominently displaying demonstration kiosks for the console, supposedly with playable samples of Call of Duty 2 and King Kong.

Today GameStop followed suit with its own kiosks for the concave console. According to one GameStop employee, a company e-mail sent out to the near 2,000 stores stated that Xbox 360 stations would begin appearing at the outlets starting today, with the goal being that each store have a station within a month. Consistent with reports, GameSpot was told that playable demos of Call of Duty 2 and Peter Jackson's King Kong would be included.

It's unclear at the time whether this will also include EB Games stores, which were recently acquired by GameStop in a merger. "At this time, we are not informed of what happens with EB's stores," said the GameStop employee.

Though the likelihood of Xbox 360 demo stations coming to game retailers seems inevitable, nothing has been made official. As of press time, Microsoft had not answered requests for confirmation. However, back in April, Microsoft announced a partnership with Samsung to provide 25,000 high-definition monitors in Xbox 360 displays around the world.

"Sold out" seems to be one of the better phrases to describe the Xbox 360 this holiday season. Preorders for the console have become difficult to come by, and analysts have trimmed down the number of units they believe will be available on November 22 (one has a dire figure of 300,000 to 350,000 in the US). Should each Wal-Mart, GameStop, EB Games, Best Buy, and every other viable candidate get an Xbox 360 kiosk (and provided the machines in the kiosk are the real deal), it's possible that more than 10,000 gamers in the US may be left empty-handed while shoppers paw at a perfectly good machine.

GameSpot

#7 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:35 PM

vociferous called me today right after he went to wal-mart and actually help set up a 360. He's really lucky because he got there as the guy was putting it all together. Apparently the guy didn't know what he was doing and voc helped him get through it. He spent a lot of time with it and played all the demos. He's said Call of Duty 2 is fucking sweet, his exact words were that it is "crazy how good that game is."

#8 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 01:11 PM

You can find an Xbox 360 kiosk near you by using this map: Happy Hunting.

#9 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:50 PM

Wal-Mart pulls plug on 360 kiosks

Xbox maker acknowledges consoles interfering with Wal-Mart's internal management systems; says fix is in the works.

Gamers looking to be among the first to get their hands on an Xbox 360 controller at Wal-Mart demo kiosks can still do it, but they won't actually be controlling anything.

Xbox 360 kiosks placed in Wal-Mart stores across the country have been shut off, said a Microsoft spokesperson contacted this afternoon. The reason, according to Microsoft, is due to the console causing interference with Wal-Mart's wireless "hand scanner" inventory system. Microsoft has acknowledged the problem as being "minor" and says a software solution is in the works to correct it.

GameSpot became aware of the problem after one of its editors entered a Wal-Mart store and discovered the Xbox 360 kiosk had been shut off. The Wal-Mart rep confirmed that the console had been causing problems with the store's scanners.

Wal-Mart headquarters in Bentonville, Arkansas, instructed all stores to shut down the 360 kiosks.

According to Microsoft, the kiosk program, which was initiated nationwide over the past week, "encountered some minor wireless interference issues that are specific to some retail environments."

Since the advent of 2.4GHz signals--like those commonly found in next-generation consumer electronics such as cordless phones, wireless routers, and, now, the Xbox 360--some retailers have discovered that their network-based inventory management systems can be impacted by products using modern wireless signals, according to the spokesperson.

"While retailers are constantly updating their internal management systems, sometimes new products being introduced into the market can cause this kind of temporary interference. We are working closely with our partners to provide a software solution that mitigates this problem within their retail environments. Adjustments and tweaks to kiosks of any kind are quite common once they're deployed in a live retail environment, and we consider making such adjustments a standard part of the launch process."

Microsoft said it identified the problem and within 24 hours had deployed new software to Wal-Mart stores.

It is still unclear which specific part of the 360 console was causing the interference in the first place...and whether it could interfere with other consumer wireless devices as well. When questioned about this issue, a Microsoft spokesman was confident that it would not.

"The issue is specific to the equipment used in a few retail environments," the spokesperson said.

"Xbox 360, like portable phones, wireless network routers, and Bluetooth devices, emits radio frequency in the 2.4GHz band. It is possible that devices that do not comply with FCC/ETSI rules of operation in this band may not properly handle interference from other 2.4GHz sources. Such devices would be extremely rare in a home environment."

At this time, it is unknown exactly how many Wal-Mart stores with 360 kiosks were affected.

GameSpot

Pics of Melted Xbox 360 Harddrive!

Posted Image

The Weazul the Kotaku mole first sent word of the 360?s melted hard drive last week, now he follows up with pictures of the damage. This is what happens when you put a strong light way too close to a 360. Kinda makes me want to cry.

My earlier post explained how this came to be:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Apparently, one broke after just a day of use. The other died after some genious thought it would be cool to light it up and put a lamp right next to it, perhaps even in the case. The heat from the lamp apparently melted the case in one place and warped the harddrive. Ouch!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted Image

Kotaku

#10 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:07 PM

That's gotta make buyers think twice. Keep us updated as always Fallen, and let me know if you find problems with your 360. I'm not going to buy one any time soon if Microsoft is going to patch the damn thing right after launch.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#11 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:21 PM

That's gotta make buyers think twice. Keep us updated as always Fallen, and let me know if you find problems with your 360.

I'm not going to buy one any time soon if Microsoft is going to patch the damn thing right after launch.

Incidentally, the two Xbox 360 kiosks I regularly attend are fully operational and in beautiful radiant 720p. Kameo > God. My math might be a little off, but I'm pretty certain the numbers are straight. I should be getting my copy of the game tomorrow actually, but I won't be able to play it until 11/22...

Ivan actually asked me to give you guys a run through back when I called him about this, but no doubt everyone has had a chance to play the Xbox 360 by now. Needless to say, it was fun. I will say that the game selection was weak. I believe a game like PGR3, PDZ pr DOA4 might show off the console a little bit better, but COD2 and Kameo hold their own. I wasn't very fond of the King Kong demo, but it had its merits. I did get to see PGR3 on the bigscreen TVs they had the on the flor. It's ace.

#12 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:26 PM

Voc. posts and everyone screams. Circuit City just installed their kiosks in place of the original Xbox. It looks really good, but I'm holding my piggy bank a little longer. Seems several other people I know are doing the same.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#13 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:53 AM

...but no doubt everyone has had a chance to play the Xbox 360 by now.

I've not yet :(
Stupid England.

Does anyone know if the Call of Duty 2 demo is the same as the PC demo? Just wondering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq