Campaign Sections as Multiplayer Maps?

Halo: Reach

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 V4Volcanicity

V4Volcanicity
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:23 PM

Hey all, I'm a late joiner to the party & wondered how you guys were feeling about the use of campaign levels as multiplayer maps? It's a topic that's been buzzing around in my head for some reason and I'm always interested in the arguments for and against any issues as well as my gut feelings... To give my two pennies worth; whilst in many ways I do feel that it is a little, lazy perhaps, of Bungie to use sections of the campaign such as powerhouse and swordbase as mulitplayer levels, it does remind me of the overall story, and grounds my experience right on Reach rather than out on one of the Halos. That said, I'm not convinced that there has not been a pretty massive time saving by putting working in bits of the campaign so obviously, and I cant help but feel just a tiny bit cheated... V
Suit Up, Hit Me Up & Lets Jump Right In!

#2 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:53 PM

The general consensus here is that it made the maps pretty terrible and that the best maps in the game are Halo 2 remakes, with the exception of the recent DLC.

Welcome! Be sure to post your Live info in this thread if you want to play with us.
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#3 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,939 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

They were fucking awful. Zealot, Spire, and Countdown in particular. Fuck man, what were they thinking?

Edited by Drew, 21 December 2010 - 10:29 PM.

#4 V4Volcanicity

V4Volcanicity
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:42 PM

They were fucking awful. Zealot, Spire, and Countdown in particular.

Fuck man, what were they thinking?

See I really liked Countdown when I first started playing the maps as it was new and shiny, but I still get completely lost which, after all this time, is a bit of a worry.

Do you feel that they are awful because they were designed to be in the campaign and just dont work for mulitplayer or were they badly designed mulitplayer maps which got shoved into the campaign?
Suit Up, Hit Me Up & Lets Jump Right In!

#5 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:06 AM

My justification comes from obviously bad design decisions that I don't attribute to the map's relation to the campaign, like CTF or 2 Flag on Countdown has the flag cap location less than 10 seconds walking distance from the spawn. That's just embarrassing. Halo 2 modders couldn't cap that fast.

#6 Arcys

Arcys

Nothing but the rain.

• 53 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:11 AM

I think they're badly designed multiplayer maps to begin with. Supposedly, they designed them to be multiplayer maps first, then they put them into campaign. On the majority of my campaign runs, I will hardly ever use any of Powerhouse. I stick to the bridge leading into the level or next to the gate. I have no reason to venture into the level since the AI enemies are driven to seek me out once I cross the bridge. They end up dropping more Covenant right on top of where I stay so, again, I have no reason to traipse into the rest of the level. Half the time you won't even notice or use the entire play area during the campaign. Take Reflection in New Alexandria. When you step out of the elevator your one and only goal is to shut off the jammer which is on the same level as you are. You have no reason to go to the other levels of the map unless you're going to see the shell shocked army trooper. Should you feel like exploring you best do it before you destroy the jammer lest you enjoy getting mauled by some Drones.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for I am missing my amygdala.

#7 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:40 AM

I don't think we generalize the order of design. I'm sure there were a few multiplayer maps that were designed first (Reflection being obvious) and then put into Campaign and vice versa. Regardless, Bungie knew these would be multiplayer maps and they should reflect that quality. One thing we've got to remember though is that Halo is very picky about how the map and gametype will affect the gameplay. With other shooters, you have to royally screw up for maps to be considered imbalanced (see MW2). In Halo, the gameplay can easily be broken with something simple like tanks (Paradiso and Hemorrhage), the lack of a dead zone in Zealot's Zero Gravity area (a very big oversight imo), or a map geometry exploit (Asylum's sniper perch).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo: Reach

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq