93 replies to this topic

#81 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

Curious.

Spoiler

EDIT: Agreed about the music. I could do without the cheese metal guitar track (the one in the E3 Campaign trailer) though.

I never actually heard that track in the game, or at least I never noticed it if it was there. Was probably too focused on the fighting to hear it. That E3 beach demo was toned way down, by the way. In game there's a lot more going on.

Edit: Big spoilers.
Spoiler

Edited by Drew, 01 September 2010 - 03:22 PM.

#82 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:42 PM

Spoiler

Posted Image

Edited by Gamble, 01 September 2010 - 05:07 PM.

#83 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

God damn I forgot how much of a pain in the ass it was to capture HD. I can't even find the program I used to use again, and the official program that ships with the card doesn't work. Fuck.

#84 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

God damn I forgot how much of a pain in the ass it was to capture HD. I can't even find the program I used to use again, and the official program that ships with the card doesn't work. Fuck.

Well since I don't own an HDTV I can't actually boot into the dashboard and change my display settings so my capture card can pick up the Xbox in the first place. If I can find my SD dongle I'll get some of that.

Edit: Woo, found it. Videos incoming.

Edit Edit: My SD card is so old it apparently doesn't work on anything past Windows XP because ATI doesn't know shit about drivers. Dscaler doesn't work, and trying to force custom drivers didn't either.

This fucking sucks.

Edited by Drew, 01 September 2010 - 05:18 PM.

#85 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

boothisman.gif Just kidding, man. We appreciate anything you can do.

#86 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

I never actually heard that track in the game, or at least I never noticed it if it was there. Was probably too focused on the fighting to hear it. That E3 beach demo was toned way down, by the way. In game there's a lot more going on.

Spoiler

I'm inclined to disagree. Watch it again.
Spoiler
It's intentionally ambiguous.
Spoiler

This is the actual ending. No clicky if you've restrained this long. It definitely leaves itself open to interpretation...

And I heard that godawful track in my streaming, it was on
Spoiler
or
Spoiler
if I recall. Really and truly grating and not at all (to my mind at least) in keeping with the haunting score that Marty has composed for the rest of the game. Not a fan.

#87 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:23 PM

Hey Drew, did you experience any framerate slowdown in the campaign?

#88 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

Hey Drew, did you experience any framerate slowdown in the campaign?

I did, actually. One of my few complaints (so far) with the game. But it never happened when it was important (fighting enemies, etc.). Always seemed to be kind of random for some reason. I don't really know why it was happening either. Oh well, it never impacted gameplay, and it was never that severe (maybe from 30 to 20 or 25), but the rest is a smooth 30 the whole time, no drops.

Only seems to be a problem with campaign, I have never run into issues anywhere else with slowdown. I should note that one place I got slowdown in campaign (going along the bridge on Overlook) wasn't present in Firefight.

Been doing my solo Legendary run, and it's hard, but not brutal. I think it has something to do with the fact that it clicked with me on the end of my Heroic runthrough that it pays to be careful and think about an encounter before just running in headfirst. Instead of barreling through and just aiming straight for the Elites, stay back and pick off the Grunts and Jackals first, THEN deal with the Elites. If left alone, even a single Grunt can make your life hell. Something I've noticed about Reach is that there are no throwaway enemies anymore. Especially on Legendary and Heroic, every one of them can kill you just as easily as the others. Bungie doesn't seem afraid to throw whatever they can at you (encounter spoiler)
Spoiler
Feels bad, man.

One of the best parts about campaign is that you never feel cheated when you die (looking at you, Halo 2). You can think about the encounter and say "Yeah, I did do something kind of stupid, didn't I?" and then go back and try it with the mistake omitted. It's very rewarding and makes me want to play through again.

Anyway, some spoilered protips for some trouble spots I had in campaign.

Spoiler

Anyway, when I finish my runthrough I'll post some final impressions here.

Edited by Drew, 03 September 2010 - 09:06 AM.

#89 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

Huh, according to the weekly update my credits will be reset before launch. What I want to know is if I still get the big credit boosts from my Commendations. If that goes away too, that's kind of lame.

Anyway, as far as split screen performance goes, there were no framedrops at all during my brief campaign playrthrough with a friend. Granted, it was on an SD set, so I don't know how that would affect performance, if at all, but there you have it, I suppose. While messing around with another controller on my monitor, there weren't any framerate problems either, but that was in multiplayer.

If you guys want, I can mess around on an SD set and see how the performance fares.

Edit: Also, I don't know what they're talking about in regards to getting "accelerated credits" while offline. It seems that every game I play the credits get lower and lower. An hour-long campaign solo legendary romp gets me a whopping 50 credits now. If this is "accelerated" it going to take years to get everything online. What the hell, man.

Edited by Drew, 03 September 2010 - 03:45 PM.

#90 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:27 PM

Spoilers from campaign. Shows a neat little thing. Don't look if you don't want something neat spoiled, but it's pretty fucking cool.

http://www.bungie.ne.....=Drew McDuffy

#91 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 464 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

Right, since it's close to launch, I may as well ask. What the heck is up with the
Spoiler
? Is it really as canon breaking as it appears?

#92 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:04 AM

Right, since it's close to launch, I may as well ask.

What the heck is up with the

Spoiler

Yeah... I think they kind of threw the book out of the window on that one.

#93 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

Yeah... I think they kind of threw the book out of the window on that one.

Just finished the campaign. Yeah, that was really, really weak.
Spoiler

PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#94 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

What the heck is up with the

Spoiler

Wait... why is it canon breaking?
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo: Reach

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq