• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#21 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

I've been saying that Sony hasn't come clean on their used game and DRM positions. They might not end up being as drastic as MS, but they have something they're not saying.

I love this quote: "At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that." So what do you think the publishers will do given the chance?

#22 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

I wish they'd be completely clear with this stuff. I want to know if this is DRM built into the OS which publishers/developers choose to use (actively creating DRM) or if Sony is saying that they won't be blocking publisher online activations (passively allowing the creation of DRM). And really, while it might not seem like a huge difference, requiring publishers to set up their own DRM systems would be a massive ballache, as opposed to some DRM toggle switch. But whatever happens, Sony saying that they won't require online activation is a huge win for consumers, even if they're not willing to be completely up front with the caveats right now.

Edited by UHYVE, 31 May 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#23 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

Sony said the console can throughout it's entire life never be connected to the internet. While I agree they're not being straightforward, I can't see how they can enforce an anti-used policy without some sort of connection. EA also just dropped it's activation code policy due to consumer backlash. Either they're going to rely on console integrated DRM, come up with something else, or consumer's rights is victorious. Let's hope for #3.
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#24 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Well, Sony did everything right and has totally won E3 in the most epic possible way. You could hear the crowd roar with true enthusiasm. The fact I'm thinking about not owning an xbone is surreal to me, but it seems a possibility at this point.

#25 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

^ That is how you know Microsoft has nothing.

#26 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

It says a lot in general that all of us who've been pretty Xbox-centric are now pretty confidently jumping ship. I mean honestly, I could count the number of PS3 games I bought this generation on two hands. I literally can't think of a single way Microsoft could turn it around at this point. I absolutely can't wait to see what the mainstream media does with this tomorrow.

#27 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

Yeah, I think it's time to jump ship.

#28 DualX

DualX

Great Job!

• Veteran
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

https://www.youtube....p;v=kWSIFh8ICaA

#29 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

Best Youtube comment for that video.

Instructions not clear enough. Dick stuck in ceiling fan.

#30 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

The best headline following the Sony press conference:

Sony Just Smacked the Xbox One in the Mouth.

#31 Nuvalari

Nuvalari
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

It appears that after a 10 year absence, a Playstation will once again be hooked up to my TV. And the funny thing is, Sony just won by basically releasing a more powerful PS3. EZ
XBL: Nuvalari

#32 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

My question is how far into this generation before disc based media is eliminated?

#33 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

My question is how far into this generation before disc based media is eliminated?

A few years. It's not going to take long. Imagine that you don't have to wait in line at a store and your console just pre-downloads a title and it's ready to go at midnight of the launch day. The convenience of it will make it the norm eventually and the used game problem will take care of itself. This is why I think MS is dumb, they should have just made it so all digital games are $5 cheaper than physical and then that would have taken over for the majority of new business.

#34 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

Yup. They have to give the consumer something for buying digital over physical, otherwise you're not competing against retail. They don't even have to lower the price; exclusive DLC would be perfectly fine. Right now physical copies are often cheaper and offers most stuff, so there's no incentive to buy digital on consoles.

#35 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Yup. They have to give the consumer something for buying digital over physical, otherwise you're not competing against retail. They don't even have to lower the price; exclusive DLC would be perfectly fine. Right now physical copies are often cheaper and offers most stuff, so there's no incentive to buy digital on consoles.

Well, the convenience of not having to go to the store may end up being the incentive even if the games are the same cost. They've already said that all games on the xbone will be sold online at the same time.

#36 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

Agreed. It would be nice to be able to pre-download a game before its release, and then be able to play it at midnight as the game officially releases. No need to go drive out to Gamestop for midnight releases anymore.

#37 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 2,997 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Well, the convenience of not having to go to the store may end up being the incentive even if the games are the same cost. They've already said that all games on the xbone will be sold online at the same time.

Wow.

So, a company should be allowed to increase their margins just because the customer chooses another distribution method? One that has zero overhead in production / delivery costs?

#38 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:55 AM

"Should be allowed"? They can do whatever they want it's a free market. People will decide if they would rather go drive somewhere to buy something or sit in the convenience of their home. I know I would rather not have to deal with discs or drive anywhere. It does cost them something for the infrastructure to deliver games that way, although it's less than the publishers shipping stuff everywhere.

#39 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 2,997 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

We have different definitions of "free market." Where can I buy digital copies of console games?

#40 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Agreed. It would be nice to be able to pre-download a game before its release, and then be able to play it at midnight as the game officially releases. No need to go drive out to Gamestop for midnight releases anymore.

That's not an incentive for me. Maybe I have more patience than the average consumer, but I have never been to a midnight launch. Nor am I too lazy to go to a store the next day and not consume up to 1/3 of my bandwidth cap for the month (Stupid Uverse).

We have different definitions of "free market."

Where can I buy digital copies of console games?

I think you have identical definitions. Microsoft is free to produce broken crap, you are free to not buy it.

Ok, my argument is a little ridiculous. My anger towards the whole situation is because Microsoft is setting a precedent for all digital content. We're going to offer you the exact same thing you can buy at retail except you don't get the freedom offered by a typical retail product. In exchange for that freedom, we give you jack shit except for a complicated mess of a sharing/trading program. This doesn't entice me to buy the product nor does it convince me that digital is the future. Instead it gives me nightmares that other media distributors are going to move into this direction.

Edited by Niterider, 14 June 2013 - 06:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq