• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:03 PM

I echo the 'Wow, that JCTucker from the internet is a swell guy' sentiment, but I don't have an active XBL subscription so I'm a good deal more likely to pick this up on Playstation the first time I see a price dip.

I sorry :(

#22 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,034 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:30 PM

https://www.vg247.co...-30-at-walmart/

#23 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:18 PM

So, Angel City.  It's the first of TF2's free expansions.  Normally, when an old map gets ported into a new game, there's a huge concern about how any new systems or mechanics will impact it.  Lockout Syndrome, if you will.

OH MY GOD IS THIS MAP PERFECT FOR TITANFALL 2!!!!!!!

So, one of the biggest changes for Titanfall 2 is the fact that builds on Titans are fixed, for the most part.  No more sniping Ogres or machine gun Stryders.  If you want cluster missiles, you have to use Northstar (Stryder).  If you want the 40MM, you are locked into Tone.  And so forth.  When you get past this (took me about 2 sessions), you can see the benefits.  When you see a mech, you know what you're up against before a shot is fired.  You have to actually work as a team.  A Tone can use their Sonar Pulse to show where enemies are holed up, and a Northstar can then cluster missile them, or Scorch can use their thermite bomb

Angel City, with its superb verticality that offers zero cover with practically every building having an internal area, was always the iconic Titanfall map.  And, frankly, it is the best map for TF2 to this point. 

#24 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 628 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:12 PM

I agree 100%. Great map.

#25 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:05 PM

That's the thing, though, right? Why are so many of the maps that shipped with this sequel so... gross? To be clear, the single player for this was a ton of fun, and I dip a toe into PvP most nights, but who made these maps? Whether you care about aesthetics or the flow of gameplay, the maps that shipped with the game come up waaaaaaaay short. I'm going to be douchey and say je ne sais quoi, but Bungie has it and Respawn doesn't yet.

ducks

#26 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:55 AM

Black Water Canal is the only map I actually like in this game (haven't been able to play Angel City yet). The vanilla game's maps either have way too much open space, little/no verticality, or both (and it's usually both). If the gunplay wasn't so close to perfect this game's multiplayer would suck. I was surprised at how bland the maps were after Titanfall 1 had a pretty great selection when it shipped.

#27 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:05 PM

Black Water Canal is the only map I actually like in this game (haven't been able to play Angel City yet). The vanilla game's maps either have way too much open space, little/no verticality, or both (and it's usually both). If the gunplay wasn't so close to perfect this game's multiplayer would suck. I was surprised at how bland the maps were after Titanfall 1 had a pretty great selection when it shipped.

That map has such variety, which makes it great.  It's like the inverse of Angel City.  The middle is where the height is.  If you are on the outskirts, you are low.  And, again, lots of complex buildings.

100% agree on the point about the maps.  It's like they were designed by people who couldn't get out of a 2D CoD space.  It's like they started with a CoD map, then threw up some panels and junk to wall run on.  Which, go back to the single player now...  Those levels were amazingly designed - the time thingy one, the ARC gun one, the one where you had to get the HBO Signal back...  It's like the multiplayer people from the first game were designing the SP maps, and the MP map design was handed off to contract workers from Hammerhead.

I do agree with 'Cuse about the maps, though.

I can't tell Forward Base Kodai apart from Drydock apart from Homestead apart from Eden apart from Boomtown.  I can't remember "Is this the one with the middle hallway with the glass or the one with the big tower or the one with the big open bay in the middle that has a dome."

Here's the differences, just me thinking about them:

Crash Site - the worst.  Just bad

Eden - the one where no points can be grabbed by Titans (this is a recurring theme).

FB Kodai - I think it has the ship in the middle

Boomtown - the one from the Beta that looks like Aleppo.  People hide in the droppod by the score.

Homestead - the tower thingy that has some fun wallrunning just before you die because everyone goes to the tower and dies.  Also, a bunch of wide open fields that just doesn't seem like a good fit for a game all about traversal.

Complex - the one that looks like it's open, but you're really in a biodome thing so your Titan is constantly dropping a half mile away.

Drydock - The one with the glass hallway that holds B point.  Also no points capturable by Titans.

Exoplanet - The one with the train rail?

Blackwater Canal - the good one.

#28 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:50 PM

The maps are poop. But the game is still great.

Maps I like:

• Black Water Canal
  • Boomtown
  • Exoplanet
  • Eden

Maps I nothing:

• Forward Base Kodai
  • Homestead

Maps I hate:

• Complex
  • Crash Site (worst of the worst)
  • Drydock

Ironically, writing all these out makes it look like I have a favorable opinion of the maps overall. I do, in part, but the game needs more diversity. The critique that some of these maps focus far too much on flat terrain is valid, even in the maps I listed that I liked.

#29 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:57 AM

First off, what makes Angel City so damn special:

ZwFA11S.gif

And, please excuse the Old Man Aim:

ZO9BhS0.gif

ZQl3cVC.gif

I'll go a tad more in depth:

Boomtown - This is the map that looks most like the old maps, but it's just a poor attempt at capturing the aesthetic of the original.  The buildings, while having interiors, are mostly just one level, requiring a double jump to get on.  Think back to Angel City.  Hell, just look at AC in this game.  Getting to the top of most buildings requires momentum and combination jumps.  If you screw something up and have to mantle onto something, you're likely dead.  There is one high point / tower to get on, but no one does because it's just so obvious.

Eden - This is the one with the train rail.  Getting on top of the rail requires a bare bones combination jump.  Getting on top of the rail quickly is a great way to First Strike.  There is a needlessly complex choke point opposite the rail side.  When I'm on that side of the map, I hate it.  Options are go inside the little room (Bank location), or try to wall run quickly by.  There is no "up and over" and to get through the middle, you have to circle back to the building entrance.

Exoplanet - this is the one with the B point that can be captured from the bottom (the room even looks like kinda like Midship!).  Some buildings require momentum and combination jumps to ascend, but not enough.  Having no points easily attackable by Titans leads us to losing far too many matches we shouldn't be.

FB Kodai - this is the one with the B point in the elevated glass hallway.  And, again, no points capturable by Titans, but both A and C can be easily attacked.  There are a couple of interesting areas for firefights, but Titanfall is about "the plays" not point and shoot.

Drydock - The one I constantly confuse with Kodai.  The twin elevated hallways around the Pelican in the middle make for some nice distance pinging.  But, again, that's not what TF is about.  I do appreciate the multi-lane setup this map has going for it.  It makes each Titan useful in different scenarios.

Complex - This maps sucks because of the biodome panels.  There are no ways to build momentum, the hallways are too far spread to make high level wallrunning an option, despite the vertical layout screaming "run along us way up high!"

That's all I feel like typing right now

#30 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:26 PM

So is this worth buying just for the single player? It's 50% off on PSN but I can't see myself playing the multiplayer atm.

#31 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 628 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:44 PM

Single player is solid, definitely worth it at that price.

#32 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:40 PM

Yeah, picked it up. Probably make a good Christmas present for myself.

#33 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

Vanwadnoobian, the game is on its way.  I think.

#34 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:16 PM

You the best, tucker. Should be on this weekend.

#35 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

So I've seen reviews saying that this is the best campaign of this generation, instant classic type of thing. Is that all hype or is it really that good?

#36 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:04 AM

If the "generation" is just every Call of Duty since 4/other twitch shooters and the Battlefield games, then yeah probably. Playing through the levels is extremely fun since Titanfall's shooting and movement mechanics are almost flawless and the maps take full advantage of them, and it explores some cool gameplay concepts in each level that never overstay their welcome. The story itself is a typical "A Boy and His Robot Buddy" thing without many surprises, and the main character is just another Joe Shooter. It's still my favorite FPS campaign in years, right up there with DOOM, but going into the game expecting to be floored will probably leave you disappointed.

What made people so hot for the campaign was how surprisingly good it was, not because everyone was expecting something amazing. The original didn't even have one and every other game in this genre of FPS has such abysmally low expectations for their single player that the fact Respawn put a ton of care into theirs helped boost its positive press. Go into it neutral expecting it to be fun and I think you'll get a lot out of it. Expecting Halo 1 and Martin Scorsese from the start, not so much.

#37 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:25 AM

The good:

Every level in the game introduces something unique.  The first level is your basic "you can walk on walls" tutorial. 

The next level introduces puzzles in that you're out of your Titan, opening various panels for it to move through the area.

There's a level that has a prefab plant that has some of the most unique perspectives I've ever encountered.

There's the "Press LB to do something awesome that I won't spoil for you" level.

The ARC Cannon "grappling hook" level.

There's one level in the third act that has you running in an enemy ship.  Then you have to wallrun on a friendly ship.  To reach the next area of the enemy ship you're currently on.  I don't care that I'm thinking "The atmospheric stream passing over these hulls should swipe me straight to the ground..." because next thing you know, you're powersliding into an enemy army, shotgun blazing.

The level before that is an all out Titan on Titan assault.  Like, 20 Titans on the field.

The Bad:

The protoganist is really no different than any other generic FPS White Dude.  All of the emotion really comes from the robot, and that's a waste.

The Ugly:

If you played the first game, that whole storyline was essentially scrapped.  There is a passing reference to Demeter (the whole point of the first game was "We destroy this base, we cut off the IMC because reasons.").  Admiral Graves is nowhere to be seen (same for Bish and Spyglass).  They kept Blisk (I'll fight you for free, Graves), but he's just a merc working for the IMC.  I think they would've scrapped Sarah, too, if she wasn't omnipresent in the first game's marketing.

The only reference at all to the previous game's version of the IMC is the "remnant fleet" during Bounty Hunt multiplayer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq